Carbon Fiber Front Reinforcement Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Fiber Front Reinforcement Panel

I am fabricating a carbon front reinforcement panel. The main goal is increased stiffness. I'm confident it can be lighter than the OE part but we'll see.

First, the mold. This is the 2nd mold I've ever made. First one had some issues. This one was much better. Still made some mistakes but I think I've got it now...for the next one!

I was having some issues with my infusions. Turned out that I was using crap bagging tape. Unlike E46 M3 DIYs...there's not a lot of info on this stuff. Had to do a lot of work to seal up my ebay resin trap. Most of all, experiment with a different epoxy.

I laid up 7 layers...

200gsm 2x2 twill
    600gsm 2x2 twill
    400gsm +/- 45 deg biax
    600gsm 2x2 twill
    400gsm +/- 45 deg biax
    600gsm 2x2 twill
    200gsm 2x2 twill

So here is the infusion...

It came out pretty good. Had some release issues which is why some of the gel coat stuck on the part. Not a big deal since this is not a cosmetic part and very little was on the actual part.

I have to trim and finish it and then do some testing.

Nice work jae! Very cool. I wonder how the CF is going hold up to 44 ft-lbs + 90 + 30 multiple times. You'll have to install it and never remove it lol.
    Last edited by Slideways; 03-19-2022, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
      Nice work jae! Very cool. I wonder how the CF is going hold up to 44 ft-lbs + 90 + 30 multiple times. You'll have to install it and never remove it lol.
      That’s something I’ve considered. I’m going to test it and then find out. I’m debating whether to bond stainless or titanium washers around all of the bolt holes. Aluminum is more likely to gall since it’s much softer so I think I will be OK.

Also debated whether to add a kevlar layer. If the part is damaged then the kevlar will at least keep it together. Might be a later “upgrade”. I could add a layer to this part since the peel ply side is facing the ground so I can just add hand laminate it to test it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I put the panel on a piece of wood and stood on the edges. It was about the same as the OE aluminum part.

The goal is stiffer so I’m adding 2 more layers. Just hand laminated the layers of carbon and now I’m pulling a vacuum through a bleeder which absorbs the excess epoxy.

Also infused thicker rear wing end plates and a divider for the oil cooler/radiator that I lost. Mostly used scrap pieces…worked out just right!

Comment

Nice! Props.

Comment

Is the stiffness of the stock plate a known issue?

How about making a subframe reinforcement "shell" that covers the entire subframe with structural carbon fiber and distributes the load?

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

How about making a subframe reinforcement "shell" that covers the entire subframe with structural carbon fiber and distributes the load?
              ​​​​​​Would be best to 3D scan and have the mold produced.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                That’s something I’ve considered. I’m going to test it and then find out. I’m debating whether to bond stainless or titanium washers around all of the bolt holes. Aluminum is more likely to gall since it’s much softer so I think I will be OK.

Also debated whether to add a kevlar layer. If the part is damaged then the kevlar will at least keep it together. Might be a later “upgrade”. I could add a layer to this part since the peel ply side is facing the ground so I can just add hand laminate it to test it out.
                I've no educated input on the added Kevlar but I feel the large washers, stainless, aluminum or titanium, are an absolute must. To install the various racing control arm kits, one of the bolt holes of the pan has to be opened up to allow a mounting bolt to pass through so the option to customize, if you opt to sell this to we droolers, would be nice too.

Feff
                MVP Track Time

Comment

Man bigjae46 this is ambitious as hell and I love it!! Really curious what the weight differential ends up becoming. Would be interesting to see if there are other tangible benefits to this (chassis stiffness) beyond that of the aluminum plate.

Agree with others on the washers because "it just seems logical". You might be able to use big/thick fender washer on v1 of this thing. Or just send it as is. Temper my comments with the fact that I am no engineer...
                  Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

The front? I’ve thought about it but I will be complex. Sticking with relatively easier stuff right now. Next projects are a front bumper and hood.

Not an issue as far as I know but I think it could be improved.

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post

I've no educated input on the added Kevlar but I feel the large washers, stainless, aluminum or titanium, are an absolute must. To install the various racing control arm kits, one of the bolt holes of the pan has to be opened up to allow a mounting bolt to pass through so the option to customize, if you opt to sell this to we droolers, would be nice too.

Feff

Aluminum is soft so it will get eaten up after numerous torque cycles. For that reason, I hate the seat floor mount adaptors that are popular. They are aluminum and every time you torque up the bolts it galls or chews up the aluminum.

Carbon is extremely hard so I don’t think galling is an issue. I should have an idea this evening. That’s the exciting thing about this…have to wait a day to see what you made. Either massive excitement or massive disappointment!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

The front? I’ve thought about it but I will be complex. Sticking with relatively easier stuff right now. Next projects are a front bumper and hood.
                        Ha ha ha, our definitions of "the easy stuff" vary greatly!! LOL

To me this seems hard had hell. Again, I give you credit for this - super impressive.
                        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Ha ha ha, our definitions of "the easy stuff" vary greatly!! LOL

To me this seems hard had hell. Again, I give you credit for this - super impressive.
                          Thanks. Definitely trial and error. More error so far. Let’s see how this turns out.

Comment

How did you get education on making carbon fiber parts? All online?
                            If there are kits/homemade materials that are relatively inexpensive I would love to try my hand at some small stuff.

Great work!
                            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                              How did you get education on making carbon fiber parts? All online?
                              If there are kits/homemade materials that are relatively inexpensive I would love to try my hand at some small stuff.

Great work!
                              Lots of research and reading. Easy Composites and a FB group “Carbon Fabricators” are good resources.

I’ve worked with composites when I did car audio. But that’s a whole different ballgame.

Comment

Working...
                              X