Carbon Fiber Front Reinforcement Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v1 is done!

I have some nutserts on the way to mount the underbody panels for the transmission.

This came out thicker than the OE part so the underbody panels won't slide in. One area for improvement.

I torqued the bolts multiple times, no galling or marks in the carbon. Not concerned with damage around the bolt holes. Galvanic corrosion could be an issue since carbon is electrically conductive. So I may add titanium washers at some point.

I did have to enlarge one bolt hole for the control arm bushing. Same hole I had to enlarge for the OE panel.

I bolt U-channel for the splitter to the front. I should have left more material there.

I would like to make it lighter. Some possibilities is using a core which would also make it cheaper to build. Could apply less layers with added reinforcement in targeted areas. The problem is I'm not 100% sure what those areas are.

Anyway...Proof of weight.

Carbon 4.8 lb

Aluminum - 7.4lb

planned v1.1 changes

- lay up the trans cover mountings with fewer layers so the label can slide in

- extend front of plate to aid with mounting a front splitter

- reduce weight by using a core material or targeted reinforcement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You could add a divinycell foam for extra rigidity and to cut some weight. Looks good bigjae46

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post
        You could add a divinycell foam for extra rigidity and to cut some weight. Looks good bigjae46
        The contours would be an issue. If I do use a core, I'd use a soric core but it would have to work around all of the bolt holes and openings.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
          How did you get education on making carbon fiber parts? All online?
          If there are kits/homemade materials that are relatively inexpensive I would love to try my hand at some small stuff.

Great work!
          I'm have not dabbled in this yet so not an expert by any means however this three part series actually was really helpful in explaining how to.

(67) How to Make a Carbon Fiber Car Bonnet/Hood - Part 1/3 : Making the Mould - YouTube

This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Subscribed. Awaiting the facebook marketplace link. 😂🤘😎

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

I'm have not dabbled in this yet so not an expert by any means however this three part series actually was really helpful in explaining how to.

(67) How to Make a Carbon Fiber Car Bonnet/Hood - Part 1/3 : Making the Mould - YouTube
              Those videos from Easy Composites are where I started. Over the past 6 months, there is a lot more info on the internet. The hard part has been knowing what to buy. Simple stuff like the gum tape...there's a specific gum tape you need to get.

By far the worst part is cutting/sanding. You need a respirator and something to collect the dust. I only cut/sand this stuff outside of my garage.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Those videos from Easy Composites are where I started. Over the past 6 months, there is a lot more info on the internet. The hard part has been knowing what to buy. Simple stuff like the gum tape...there's a specific gum tape you need to get.

By far the worst part is cutting/sanding. You need a respirator and something to collect the dust. I only cut/sand this stuff outside of my garage.
                There was literally a small series of a guy going through everything to buy but I have no idea when I watched and how I found the series. It was back in 2018 or something. He had a 7 or 9 part series on supplies, building the mold, and doing the job. One day I hope to run across it so it can also be posted. I spent about an hour looking today. What was the overall cost of doing this job including getting all the starter supplies and tools?

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

There was literally a small series of a guy going through everything to buy but I have no idea when I watched and how I found the series. It was back in 2018 or something. He had a 7 or 9 part series on supplies, building the mold, and doing the job. One day I hope to run across it so it can also be posted. I spent about an hour looking today. What was the overall cost of doing this job including getting all the starter supplies and tools?
                  Just this one part - $900 plus the cost of the part. Need stands, clamps, a vacuum pump, resin trap…it’s a ton of small stuff. Plus safety gear. A good respirator, gloves, coveralls or tyvek suit.

I’ve worked with fiberglass before. Probably want to start hand laminating FG stuff first. It’s a lot cheaper to learn what working time means with polyester resin and FG.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Just this one part - $900 plus the cost of the part. Need stands, clamps, a vacuum pump, resin trap…it’s a ton of small stuff. Plus safety gear. A good respirator, gloves, coveralls or tyvek suit.

I’ve worked with fiberglass before. Probably want to start hand laminating FG stuff first. It’s a lot cheaper to learn what working time means with polyester resin and FG.

Yeah the guy mentioned practicing with fiberglass first because it is not likely a first timer will get it right. This is an art in and of itself.

Comment

What was the point of this again?
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                        Being awesome.

Comment

Every pound counts, and becauseracecar

Comment

To make you ask the point.

Comment

Love it! If you ever consider selling these, I may be interested.

Comment

Very cool, love seeing DIY projects like this!

Comment

Working...
                                X