Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post

Every pound counts, and becauseracecar
    M3 isn't a car I would hack up to turn into a racecar, plenty of better options exist for that.
    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

M3 isn't a car I would hack up to turn into a racecar, plenty of better options exist for that.

oops. too late

Comment

Valid point, but nothing was hacked up. That's like saying adding the Slonik brace is a poor choice. Also to each their own, Bigjae seems to be well versed in CF and wanted to take a stab at making something different on the car. I welcome the creativity and if their is increased stiffness with shedding of weight this is a win.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

oops. too late
          Yeah, I hacked up my car almost 10 years ago. Waaaay too late!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Valid point, but nothing was hacked up. That's like saying adding the Slonik brace is a poor choice. Also to each their own, Bigjae seems to be well versed in CF and wanted to take a stab at making something different on the car. I welcome the creativity and if their is increased stiffness with shedding of weight this is a win.
            Well versed? Probably not. Actually definitely not! This is extremely complex stuff. There’s a lot to it. I still have a ton of notes with every part I make.

It’s actually exciting. The part is infused and then you have to wait a day or two. Then tearing off the consumables and releasing it…so exciting. It’s like Christmas when I was a kid! This is the reason why I continue to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Please don't misunderstand, I didn't say installing this part is akin to hacking up a car. He's not versed as he states himself but I do give him props for making this from scratch, not trying to take anything away.

Good work, I just didn't understand the point other than being a fun project/learning experience.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Would forged carbon make this panel even stronger?

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
                  I don’t have a ton of experience with composites but I would guess that, especially on a part this big, continuous fibers spanning the part in the woven sheets would result in a stronger part than the typical randomly-oriented short fibers in a forged carbon fiber part.

Comment

No, forged carbon fiber is akin to FG chop mat which has no strength. Forged carbon fiber is cosmetic. The strength is in the continuous fiber strands.

There is compression molding which has two mold halves which are pressed together and increases fiber density and optimizes resin content. I believe BMW compression molds its roofs.

Comment

"forged carbon" was developed by lamborghini as a cost optimization/recycling study. it's just non-structural cosmetic carbon fiber parts made out of leftover carbon fiber scraps from their regular manufacturing process.

it's only popular now cuz lambo

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I believe BMW compression molds its roofs.
                        They do. There was a video on the old forum that showed the E90 roof process.

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

"forged carbon" was developed by lamborghini as a cost optimization/recycling study. it's just non-structural cosmetic carbon fiber parts made out of leftover carbon fiber scraps from their regular manufacturing process.

it's only popular now cuz lambo
                          It sucks tossing scraps of CF in the trash. Its throwing dollars away. I try to keep bigger stuff and reuse it in intermediate layers.

Comment

What was the point of this again?
                            You clearly didn't read the first three lines of the thread.

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                            I am fabricating a carbon front reinforcement panel. The main goal is increased stiffness. I'm confident it can be lighter than the OE part but we'll see.
                            It's also called freedom. The world is generally free to innovate and that's what this is. It could really to something good for all of us. If it doesn't, Bigjae has already benefited from this which is good enough for me.
                            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

You clearly didn't read the first three lines of the thread.

It's also called freedom. The world is generally free to innovate and that's what this is. It could really to something good for all of us. If it doesn't, Bigjae has already benefited from this which is good enough for me.
                              The argument had already ended but we appreciate you quoting me, beating a dead horse and adding your half cent into the ring.

Comment

Nice.

CSL concept car had this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	undercarriage.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	161157

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment