She’s about to go under the knife.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She’s about to go under the knife.

She’s at 125k. Slapping in new Genuine BMW rod bearings, motor mounts, catless headers, Karbonius full carbon + snorkel. Valve adjustment. Diff fluid and transmission fluid.

I usually perform the work myself on all of my vehicles, boats and dirt toys but between raising youngins, soccer, school activities, ++, it’s tough at this time in my life to do my own maintenance right now. I’m very passionate about working on my car because I am meticulous and the job is done perfectly. But I also take my time.

How did you find your mechanic that you trusted at times like these? If they did your rod bearings, did you participate to make sure they were done right? I know I’m going to end up doing it myself because of the trouble finding a really good mechanic that I can trust.

What route did you go for those of you that installed a Karbonius airbox with snorkel? I understand you can hack the harness, or wire it properly. Also you can choose different routes for the IAT relocation and sensor replacement? Vent hose capping or not? I have a 6-speed, what are the pros and cons for the different routes? I would prefer not to hack my harness so what are my best options? Do you replace boots as well? I am not sure if an updated parts list exists for a 6speed today. I wasn’t able to locate anything recent.

Then there’s the tuning. In addition to the karbonius airbox, I’ll be installing white lightning ceramic coated megan catless headers. (I can’t recall, do the stock O2 sensors bolt right up or do I need to buy modified ones?) between the airbox and the headers that will complete my engine mods. I do not plan on doing cams or any exhaust beyond the headers. Is there luck buying a tune, or is it a no brainer getting it on the dyno? If the dyno, how did you find your tuner that you trusted? Lol. I used to own a heavily modded C5Z06 and Jeremy Formato was local to me so it was easy to dyno and tune because he was the guy for the LS platform.

I am near Tampa, FL. Production 08/2002.

I appreciate any guidance or advice and thank you in advance.
    Last edited by JeremyJames; 04-06-2022, 06:35 PM.

I'm yet to find a mechanic who will willingly let you watch them work.
    BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

I know I am asking a lot in one thread. I just decided to pull the trigger on all of the parts at once.

If someone could give me better direction on my options for the different routes on parts used to install airbox and the best tune option for my set up, it would be most appreciated!

Comment

You would probably be better off posting the straight forward question "is there a reputable shop in/near tampa, florida". However that question has been posted before.

Tuner thread
        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Sounds like you want to micromanage the shit out of it, shops are going to be annoyed by that, even good ones.
          http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
          '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
            Sounds like you want to micromanage the shit out of it, shops are going to be annoyed by that, even good ones.
            I’m not a micromanager. I just have trust issues. I’ve seen some shit. Like mentioned above, I’m sure I’ll end up doing the work myself. It’s not easy task finding a mechanic you can truly trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
              If I were a mechanic I wouldn't let any goofball m3 owners watch me work. If they insisted I'd charge them double the shop rate.

JJ, good luck finding a reputable shop where you're at. One must exist in the area since it's a relatively car enthusiast heavy region.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

for bigger jobs i can't do myself or that requires a lift, i have an indy shop i've been going to for 16+ yrs (Audi/VW/Porsche indy) that i have a good relationship with. Luckily I am able to access the garage while my car gets worked on, even lending a hand if need be.....but its more of "catching up on life" time we get to do while i watch them wrench....Any chance you have any mechanic friends you trust? Maybe that would be your only outlet.

I know there are forum members here that might do work out of their homes....I know there are several in my area that do this....that might be an alternative as well.

Comment

Ya, I was just going to suggest going to some local C&C meets or something...usually plenty of DIY'ers at those things. I'm sure that you could find someone either willing to lend a hand, or do it while you watch.😉

Comment

Working...
                  X