Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interior parts needed to go from sunroof to non-sunroof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior parts needed to go from sunroof to non-sunroof?

What are all the interior parts needed to go from a sunroof car to non-sunroof?

So far I've found the obvious one: 51447124314- headliner

Based on this parts diagram, it's unclear to me if I'd need part #3 51448233452 (Front headlining cover) if it's a non-electric roof install.

Parts 4 through 8 in that diagram look worth buying 👍

Parts 9 through 14.... I do NOT have options these options on my car:

S302A Alarm system
    S470A Isofix-System

So do I need any of these extra parts 9 through 14?

Part 15 - microphone cover - probably a skip if I can reuse?

Thank you 🙇‍♂️

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 10.06.10 AM.png
Views:	1951
Size:	590.2 KB
ID:	162931
    2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
    ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

I’m in the middle of a sunroof delete project myself and the only interior piece I supplied to the body shop was the headliner — euro part # 51442699065. No cutout for the alarm on this one or need for the extra cover. Unfortunately I can’t remember if there’s a provision in the backing material for the microphone accessible by cutting the fabric. Here is a pic of the result. Not sure about what you’d need for the US spec unfortunately.

Name:	2365000C-06B3-48DB-B1D9-03AAFB9A904A.jpg
Views:	936
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	162934
    Attached Files

Comment

Part 15 (51448250108) is for sunroof cars. The equivalent cover for slicktops is part 9 (51448250118). You also need the frames to install it. Parts 10 (51448171515) and 11 (51442268975). These are only necessary if you want the microphone. If you don't and your headliner isn't cut, you can just leave it like shown above.

If you want the homelink too, you need different parts. I think one of the brackets is the same (51442268975), but the other two parts are different and I haven't found part numbers for them. Found some threads on e46fanatics that say they've been NLA for a while, so wouldn't be surprised if ebay/junkyard was the only option.

Threads on homelink:

Also, besides 51447124314 there's also 51442699065, which is the euro headliner. It does not have the bump in the middle that the US one does.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
        I’m in the middle of a sunroof delete project myself and the only interior piece I supplied to the body shop was the headliner — euro part # 51442699065. No cutout for the alarm on this one or need for the extra cover. Unfortunately I can’t remember if there’s a provision in the backing material for the microphone accessible by cutting the fabric. Here is a pic of the result. Not sure about what you’d need for the US spec unfortunately.

Same here. I only got myself the headliner. And I did not miss anything when putting it on...

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks all, amazing information. I just ordered the Euro headliner based on everyone's recommendation 💰👍

Comment

I'm about to get my car back this week. I too have the Euro headliner. My plan is to make mine look like repoman89 setup.

Name:	IMG_20220409_102828.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	162961
            Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Can you confirm if there was a cutout in the fiberglass on the backside of the headliner for the alarm dome?
              2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

I'm sure this has been talked about ad nauseum but since we have a few guys here currently underway on the conversion I must ask.

What is the approximate cost to turn a sunroof car into a CF roof car, how much of this is labor? I keep thinking I may try this on my own save the glass.
                2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post

Can you confirm if there was a cutout in the fiberglass on the backside of the headliner for the alarm dome?
                  Can't remember sadly, I didn't look that closely since I was planning to delete it and haven't seen the headliner or car in a while. Maybe Casa de Mesa or Altaran remembers.

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                  I'm sure this has been talked about ad nauseum but since we have a few guys here currently underway on the conversion I must ask.

What is the approximate cost to turn a sunroof car into a CF roof car, how much of this is labor? I keep thinking I may try this on my own save the glass.
                  I've seen people on here claim some pretty cheap labor costs on the order of $1500 or less. I had a hard enough time finding someone to touch it, let alone someone who's done it before and I trusted, plus Boston, so labor was almost twice that. +$2500 for the roof, liner, misc stuff. Not a cheap project but probably cheaper than paying for a slicktop car in the first place on the used market.
                  Last edited by repoman89; 04-13-2022, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I did some initial estimates for my project, but am still very much in the "gathering parts" phase. For a "no expense spared" build (i.e. karb roof, slon cf roof bow, new euro headliner, BMW branded glue, new interior/exterior trim bits, etc.), the total came out to like $4k just for parts. More like $4.5k if you also wanted new glass.

However, you can definitely do it for much cheaper if you choose other parts. Can probably spend about $2.5k for a new karb roof and used everything else. Then there's always the money recouped from selling the parts that came off your car.

Have no clue how much labor would be, as I'm planning on doing everything myself.
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

^Karb roof was 1650 Euros shipped to me at least earlier this year. Like $1800 after conversion.

Is the sunroof assembly and headliner really worth anything? I was just going to give it to the dude doing the work who also has an E46. Nothing else really left over.

Comment

Is the sunroof assembly and headliner really worth anything? I was just going to give it to the dude doing the work who also has an E46. Nothing else really left over.
                        Probably not more than $100-200, but I haven't really checked.

Not all non-m headliners are black, so maybe someone with a non-m would pay some money for my headliner?

I unplugged my sunroof right after I bought my car so that I don't accidentally leave it open. Not sure who would pay more than like $50 for a 130k mi, 20 year old sunroof cassette that hasn't been used in at least three years lol

Edit: Damn, it's been longer than I thought. Bought the car in Dec 2017, so closer to 4.5 years now.
                        Last edited by heinzboehmer; 04-13-2022, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Not sure who would pay more than like $50 for a 130k mi, 20 year old sunroof cassette that hasn't been used in at least three years lol
                          Sadly this seems to be one of those items that flood craigslist, but you might get lucky with a buyer!

Comment

Pretty darned expensive endeavor...hard to chose between this and Nogaros heated/mtex. About the same price.
                            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                            Instagram

Comment

Pretty darned expensive endeavor...hard to chose between this and Nogaros heated/mtex. About the same price.
                              Decent fixed back seat first IMO. Although I hated my non-lumbar or bolstered stock ones so ymmv. They were the perfect storm of uncomfortable always and unsupportive for anything close to fast driving. Better seats were transformative … I expect the roof to be pretty noticeable on track, and of course awesome looking, but less of a big deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X