No announcement yet.

KW V3 vs. Stock Suspension Refresh for Street Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My buddies got a small BMW shop and we recently removed the stock suspension from an E92 M3 (with lowering springs).
    It felt like blasphemy to put the cheap ass BCs on that vehicle as it drove so great beforehand and just looking over/handling the BCs they felt so cheap, I wanted to call the customer and tell him to go a different direction. I have yet to drive it with the BCs as there is other work to be done but, who knows maybe it'll be fantastic, but I doubt it beat the OEM setup with lowering springs. He also lost the EDC found on the stock suspension..
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

I know is likely blasphemy on here, but I have a set of Fortune Auto 500's on my E36 M3 and I think they're a good setup for the street, but they came with the vehicle. I can't say I would have chosen them to purchase, but I can say I prefer them to the V3's that I have on the e46 at the price point (or at least what it used to be)

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
        I know is likely blasphemy on here, but I have a set of Fortune Auto 500's on my E36 M3 and I think they're a good setup for the street, but they came with the vehicle. I can't say I would have chosen them to purchase, but I can say I prefer them to the V3's that I have on the e46 at the price point (or at least what it used to be)
        The BCs on my M3 feel alright to me, maybe a bit stiff but I have zero frame of reference as I've never driven nor rode in another E46 M3..

Instagram

Comment

Even medium to low grade dampers can usually be made to feel tolerable, but there's a lot to be said for off the shelf setups for street cars. I like tinkering as much as the next guy, but I don't always want to. For example I have KW Clubsports on my E36, and I have Eibach springs with Bilstein dampers on my E46. Both have their time and place, and TBH the simpler setup is better in a lot of ways for a "set it and forget it" daily. Main drawbacks are no height adjustment or camber plates. Bottom line is it really just depends on what you are using the car for, and how much time you want to spend tinkering.
          http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
          '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I feel like Ohlins are the way to go for E46s for an out of the box setup. I have driven BCs and stock with lowering springs. The stock setup felt okay but quite uncertain under load and mid corner. The BCs were laughably bad honestly, I was glad to get out of the car. Neither hold a candle to my out of the box ohlins setup so far. I haven't even messed with the spring rates to make them flat ride, since as they stand they are quite pitchy according to the FCM spreadsheet. But the quality of the damping just feels so much more sophisticated.

Would be curious what the opinion of someone who has tried both KWV3s and Ohlins back to back think.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
              I feel like Ohlins are the way to go for E46s for an out of the box setup. I have driven BCs and stock with lowering springs. The stock setup felt okay but quite uncertain under load and mid corner. The BCs were laughably bad honestly, I was glad to get out of the car. Neither hold a candle to my out of the box ohlins setup so far. I haven't even messed with the spring rates to make them flat ride, since as they stand they are quite pitchy according to the FCM spreadsheet. But the quality of the damping just feels so much more sophisticated.

Would be curious what the opinion of someone who has tried both KWV3s and Ohlins back to back think.
              Haven't tried the V3s but my car came with V2s, which I know are supposed to be a not as nice damper. I put Ohlins on last year and despite having almost twice the spring rate, the ride quality is far far better -- even my wife noticed. They're firm but not harsh or crashy even over crappy New England pavement on 19" wheels. Damping set to 10 clicks out of 20 front and rear and haven't touched it since. I enjoy them on track too but as a relative beginner I'm not as qualified to give an opinion there.

Comment

Are these the Ohlins you guys are running? GC camber plates on these? I see no plates are included unless one buys the uber expensive track versions.

I was looking at those or TCk DA coilovers, I still need to do a lot of reading. I personally want something I can adjust for height, camber as well as rebound. Sounds like anything is an improvement over BCs, can't wait to see what the car feels like with a proper suspension that is properly setup.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                  https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ohlins-p...BoCrqEQAvD_BwE

Are these the Ohlins you guys are running? GC camber plates on these? I see no plates are included unless one buys the uber expensive track versions.

I was looking at those or TCk DA coilovers, I still need to do a lot of reading. I personally want something I can adjust for height, camber as well as rebound. Sounds like anything is an improvement over BCs, can't wait to see what the car feels like with a proper suspension that is properly setup.
                  Yes those are the ohlins people are using. They are designed to be used to the stock top hat so no camber plate included. You will need to buy a camber plate separately for camber adjustment. I think the turner street plates are recommended most because they utilize the OEM bush.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post

Yes those are the ohlins people are using. They are designed to be used to the stock top hat so no camber plate included. You will need to buy a camber plate separately for camber adjustment. I think the turner street plates are recommended most because they utilize the OEM bush.
                    Plus the Turner street plates are easy to adapt to 2.5" springs to convert the R&Ts to flat ride.
                    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                      My buddies got a small BMW shop and we recently removed the stock suspension from an E92 M3 (with lowering springs).
                      It felt like blasphemy to put the cheap ass BCs on that vehicle as it drove so great beforehand and just looking over/handling the BCs they felt so cheap, I wanted to call the customer and tell him to go a different direction. I have yet to drive it with the BCs as there is other work to be done but, who knows maybe it'll be fantastic, but I doubt it beat the OEM setup with lowering springs. He also lost the EDC found on the stock suspension..
                      That’s nothing, we had a customer with a non-M E46 call in asking for an alignment and corner balance… on maxpeedingrods coilovers.

Comment

I am currently running v3s With settings recommended to me by cobra who threw them on a shock Dyno to achieve what I remember to be a 1.8 Hz ride frequency. they feel great. I believe kw suggested settings are stiffer than what cobra recommended.

I have yet to track it, but on back roads the car feels great.

I've ran many suspension setups on my previous e46 chassis, and this definitely feels soft in relation (and comfy), but they still feel like they handle great.

I am also currently running. 13.5< ride height
                        Last edited by L0okitzRaj; 04-26-2022, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I don't think the KWs are particularly good. At that price point, I'd go with TCKs over them every time.

The e60 M5 I bought recently came with KWV3s. I'm trying to figure out what to replace them with as we speak-- much less options for e60M than e46M :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                            I don't think the KWs are particularly good. At that price point, I'd go with TCKs over them every time.

The e60 M5 I bought recently came with KWV3s. I'm trying to figure out what to replace them with as we speak-- much less options for e60M than e46M :P
                            Bilstein B16 EDC. I think its the best suspension for the e60 M.

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post

Bilstein B16 EDC. I think its the best suspension for the e60 M.
                              I don't want EDC.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Then the PSS10 for the E60 should fit the bill Bilstein Part # 48-135498

Comment

Working...
                                X