Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with BMC air filter for CSL intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have experience with BMC air filter for CSL intake?

Struggling to get an actual BMW branded CSL filter until sometime in June...

Found this filter and it is actually in stock - anyone with any feedback/experience on these?

Genuine BMW air filter for the M3 CSL and S54 cars with CSL airboxes installed. These filters are made to BMW specs by BMC Air Filter and come pre-oiled and sealed. BMC Air Filter is one of the most renown brands in the motorcycle and automotive industries. Based in Bologna, Italy, BMC is now an international company with branches in Germany, China and India, along with over 94 distributors all over the world. BMC produces the world's best quality air filters for racing, street use and composite parts.

Thx

Dan
    '01 M3, JB/IR, SS, TCK DA, Apex, TMS CSL, HTE, 4:10 gears - original owner
    '00 slicktop Touring converting to full M3 Touring

Same thing as OE. The non OE option is ITG which Evolve was using and now Karbonius offers (with additional plastic support)
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

OK - thanks!

Comment

I was under the impression BMC was the factory air filter for the CSL airbox

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post
          I was under the impression BMC was the factory air filter for the CSL airbox
          It is! Classic oiled filter from BMC.

Click image for larger version  Name:	REC08303.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.1 KB ID:	166564

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

It is! Classic oiled filter from BMC.

Click image for larger version Name:	REC08303.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.1 KB ID:	166564
            It is without OIL, and it can not be washed

Comment

Originally posted by pnvhome View Post

Nope, it is pre-oiled. I’ll pull it out of the box later again to validate.

Comment

Is the Karbonis air filter interchangeable with the factory CSL filter? I’m assuming so but would like to verify

Comment

Originally posted by 01M3Fan View Post
                  Is the Karbonis air filter interchangeable with the factory CSL filter? I’m assuming so but would like to verify
                  Yes.
                  2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                  Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                  Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                  RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                  Instagram

Comment

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by pnvhome View Post
                      Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post
                      Nope, it is pre-oiled. I’ll pull it out of the box later again to validate.

there is oil on the filter but it's not the same as the one found on the "pre-oiled" filters that are on every other aftermarket filter that BMC sells

every official communication i've seen obtained from BMC customer service indicates that the OE CSL filter can not/should not be oiled with their reconditioning kits

Comment

i would avoid using any kind of foam based air filter on a street car. they're cheaper and flow better mainly because they don't filter air well

Comment

After a few emails a while back with BMC, they stated that this is the only non-oiled filter they make. You can tell because the filter material is not covered in the red dye colored oil when new. The rep there did say there is no harm in cleaning it with their kit and lightly oiling. NZ_M3 said that regular water and light detergent is more than enough to clean it. It is probably worth a try since there is no MAF to get damaged.

As for decreasing airflow or filtering ability of a cleaned filter, you have to dyno back to back with a new filter and monitor the airbox for dust particles. Even with a brand new BMC filter, dust and debris gets passed the filter all the time. I remember seeing a post by 0-60Motorsport where his OE CSL airbox looked like a sand pit.
                          Last edited by Slideways; 05-06-2022, 08:48 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                            I remember seeing a post by 0-60Motorsport where his OE CSL airbox looked like a sand pit.
                            Free hone job!😁 Nah, in all seriousness, hopefully Ejaz used some xtra foam around the lip to seal it better.

Comment

Struggling to get an actual BMW branded CSL filter until sometime in June...

Found this filter and it is actually in stock - anyone with any feedback/experience on these?

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...nel-air-filter

Thx

Dan
                              Check at the dealer, for me this is one of those rare parts that they have a good amount cheaper than anywhere online (about 115$). usually get them pretty quickly but they come from germany.

Comment

Working...
                              X