Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd Auto Leveling Headlight Issue

Hello,

I am in the process of putting my M3 back together after some winter work and noticed something odd with my headlights.

I noticed only the left side would do the "dip" check of the auto leveling when I turned on the headlights. I was wondering if the right side was broken so I disconnected the left side to see if I can hear the motor, and low and behold, the right side started working. I reconnected the left side, and it reverted to only the left side working.

I did take the lights apart so I was worried I damaged the motor assembly, but it seems both are working, just not together.

The lights themselves work fine, its just the leveling aspect that I m having issues with.

Any Ideas? Its a very minor issue, but I am so close to getting this car back on the road every small thing I encounter drives me nuts.

Thanks

Check out: https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...#post-16211303

My guess re what could be going on here is that the stepper motors may share a current limited source. If one of the stepper motors is not sufficiently lubricated it may be that the current draw required is too high when sharing the source with the other stepper. Removing the working stepper from the circuit allows the "troublesome" stepper motor to draw enough current to act as expected.
    2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
    Build Thread:
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Interesting,

I took the assy out today to have a look and did notice that when I put it back together, one of the guides on the top was mot in its track. I popped it back in and there was a little improvement for a few tires but still not doing what it should.

Do I have to take the whole thing apart to lubricate the threads for the motor? Thats not a fun task.

Comment

Check the threads inside the headlight housing that connect to the adjustment screw on the top of the headlight. I believe there is a yellow clip that holds it in place. My guess it snapped and no longer attached to the housing, hence why it doesn’t dip when headlights come on. I made the mistake of spinning the adjustment screw the wrong way and snapping it when i replaced my igniter.

Comment

Originally posted by antknee View Post
          Check the threads inside the headlight housing that connect to the adjustment screw on the top of the headlight. I believe there is a yellow clip that holds it in place. My guess it snapped and no longer attached to the housing, hence why it doesn’t dip when headlights come on. I made the mistake of spinning the adjustment screw the wrong way and snapping it when i replaced my igniter.
          It dips though when the other light is unplugged. A snapped thread would just mean it never works right?
          2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
          Build Thread:
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Originally posted by antknee View Post
            The adjustment thread is fine, I actually did the adjustment and they both moved, both directions, fine.

Like mentioned, both work independently, just not when both are connected.

Comment

Working...
            X