Anyone use the Rennline phone mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use the Rennline phone mount?

The one that screws in behind the passenger side dash trim. Thinking about buying one for both my E39 and E46 after trying the Avant 4 for my E39 and finding it to be useless trash.

I use it and really like it. Very sturdy, easy to angle, and clean install.
    2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
    ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
      I use it and really like it. Very sturdy, easy to angle, and clean install.
      Sweet, good enough for me. Do you happen to use an iPhone? I’m assuming it’s strong enough to grip the built in magsafe magnet?

Comment

I use a Pixel 6 Pro (the big one) and it holds up without issue. Even with hard cornering 😏

edit: I use a stick-on magnet on the case to hold up the phone. Can't speak for the iPhone magsafe stuff
        Last edited by ridebikes; 05-10-2022, 02:50 PM.
        2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
        ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

I use it as well.

I love it because it is so well designed and manufactured. I am not sticking BS to my dash, window, or vents that have potential to trash those areas.

It comes with stick on "metal" patches, or magnets. I put those in my phone case and it works great, I didn't even remove the tape on those patches, just laid in my case.

Comment

Use it, Love it. Clean install. Best phone magnet imo. cant speak for the magsafe, but i use the magnets that they provide in the box.

Comment

Wireless CarPlay rendered my mount obsolete. Haven't had one in quite some time and don't miss it sticking out regardless of location or brand.

Edit: I don't DD the M3 but still can't imagine why I would need a mount at this time. I suppose maybe some still have stock head unit and as such don't have stuff like CarPlay or Android Auto
              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                Wireless CarPlay rendered my mount obsolete. Haven't had one in quite some time and don't miss it sticking out regardless of location or brand.
                What head unit are you using with wireless car play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                Build Thread:
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

I tried getting the rennline phone mount for a different car. The magnet mount for the charger version was much too weak for the way I drive. I have an iphone 13 pro with an Apple magsafe case.

I returned it immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by karter16 View Post

What head unit are you using with wireless car play?

Sony XAV-AX1000. But fair warning there was quite a bit of finagling to get it setup and stable. If I remember correctly required certain firmware versions on the adapter and head unit side. I love the head unit, simple, no frills, and just works but the wireless carplay was absolutely a pain. I won't be upgrading anything, ever lol. I would recommend finding something with wider compatibility like the Avin units. While they have their issues I know quite a few on the board run them with the wireless CarPlay dongle.

I referenced this thread and some others I can no longer find: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...#post-29559767
                    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Sony XAV-AX1000. But fair warning there was quite a bit of finagling to get it setup and stable. If I remember correctly required certain firmware versions on the adapter and head unit side. I love the head unit, simple, no frills, and just works but the wireless carplay was absolutely a pain. I won't be upgrading anything, ever lol. I would recommend finding something with wider compatibility like the Avin units. While they have their issues I know quite a few on the board run them with the wireless CarPlay dongle.

I referenced this thread and some others I can no longer find: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...#post-29559767
                      Nice! I’m thinking of going a similar route myself, maybe something like (https://pioneernz.co.nz/collections/...ts/dmhzf9350bt). Having read about all the trouble people have with Avin and the likes I think I’d rather sacrifice a bit of OE looks for something that actually just works lol. (I would of course keep the OE kit so it can be returned to stock if desired)

2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                      Build Thread:
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

I'm a big fan of the rennline mount. I put the magnet in my case, iphone 12 max(?) and it holds the phone great even on spirited drives. It also looks super clean and easy to view.

Comment

I have one in my GT3. The original mount doesn’t work with MagSafe.

Rennline makes a MagSafe charger you can swap out. I wouldn’t use it just on the phone since that part isn’t soft. You’ll need a MagSafe compatible case or you have to use their metal ring which is included

2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
                          Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
                          Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
                          Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
                          Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
                          Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
                            I have one in my GT3. The original mount doesn’t work with MagSafe.

Rennline makes a MagSafe charger you can swap out. I wouldn’t use it just on the phone since that part isn’t soft. You’ll need a MagSafe compatible case or you have to use their metal ring which is included

https://www.rennline.com/wireless-in...rger-sku-pm70/
                            Yup this is the one I got. I have a magsafe specific case, but the charger still would not hold the phone well enough. Every other magsafe charger i’ve used hasnt been an issue. Maybe I just got a bad unit.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Yup this is the one I got. I have a magsafe specific case, but the charger still would not hold the phone well enough. Every other magsafe charger i’ve used hasnt been an issue. Maybe I just got a bad unit.
                              The case holds better than my naked phone. Maybe try a different case? Mine is from nomad
                              2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
                              Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
                              Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
                              Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
                              Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
                              Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Comment

Working...
                              X