LED Tail light conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Tail light conversion

Thinking about converting my 02’s tail lights to the more modern looking LED’s. I’ve seen this Depo set on ECS for $208, can someone confirm if they are plug and play? Are depo lights similar to OEM quality? Hard to find reviews on this set. Thanks!

I wouldn't bother with anything but OEM for the tail lights. The depo ones I've seen look like shit. OEM is essentially plug and play with the wiring harness adapter. Coding them over takes 5 minutes as well.

Comment

^ This. I ran Depo tails for a couple of years, came to my senses and realized how shitty they are (LED point in different directions), and switched to OE tails. My 01 needed a new LCM…don’t remember if 02s need a new LCM too. I’ll admit, they look fine when off. No dark line around the perimeter like the eagle eye tails.
      Last edited by SQ13; 05-31-2022, 09:00 PM.
      Silver Track to Street Car Journal
      Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
        don’t remember if 02s need a new LCM too.
        I know my 12/01 build would. I'm not positive, but I think the switch was 2003.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo's M View Post
          I know my 12/01 build would. I'm not positive, but I think the switch was 2003.5.
          I *think* some cars from 11/01 had the newer LSZ that can be flashed for LED control.

I believe all cars from 09/02 have a flashable LSZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
          Build Thread:
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Originally posted by karter16 View Post

I *think* some cars from 11/01 had the newer LSZ that can be flashed for LED control.
            Okay. How does one know?

Comment

Okay. How does one know?
              Pulling out your lsz and checking the version. It's definitely not 2003.5, my 02/02 flashed the led option on no problem

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post

Pulling out your lsz and checking the version. It's definitely not 2003.5, my 02/02 flashed the led option on no problem
                Had a feeling I was wrong. Confirmed. Thanks for the info.

Comment

i have a January 2002 build 330cic i converted no issues. no need to change the LCM. And Depo is garbage. Go OEM.

Comment

OEM only. The Depos are hot trash and will flicker. I had to reprogram my friends lcm to factory led settings just to make them decent. Just go OEM. You wont regret it.
                    2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Looking to do this on my Feb 01 production coupe. Assuming I’ll need a new LCM, will this trigger a mileage tamper warning?

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerfang View Post
                        Looking to do this on my Feb 01 production coupe. Assuming I’ll need a new LCM, will this trigger a mileage tamper warning?
                        You'll need a new LCM and yes, it will throw up a tamper dot until coded is my understanding.

I asked this question in the previous M3F, but I need some more information. Aside from the Tail Light Adapter Cable Set, LCM, LED tail lights and trunk lights, are there any other required hardware? Is it possible to use 03+ Bi-Xenon head lights with my 01; lets say I grabbed head lights, LCM and tail lights from an 03+ ?

Comment

Working...
                        X