No announcement yet.

Replacement Steering Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a steering wheel but I recently got the cobywheel alcantara ebrake handle because I was being cheap and didn't want to pony up for the OE one. I had previously got his alcantara ZHP shifter and it was OE quality so assumed the same for ebrake handle. Yeah no. Embarrassingly bad. The fabric is all wonky and not cut evenly around the button, fabric is all bunched up under the stitching. Feels rubbish to hold. Oh well, there goes $50 that could have been spent on the OE handle. Lesson Learned. Definitely won't be going with him for the steering wheel. Looking like ledermanz might be one of the better options?

Comment

does anyone have a recommendation for alcantara rewrap wheel?

Comment

look into "AZA Auto Wheel", very responsive to my questions and have some really cool designs including the alcantara one that I'm eyeing which has the upper and lower trim fused together as one in 2x2 carbon fiber

cant speak for quality...i just haven't been able to get myself to pull the trigger at that price point

worth checking out if you want a new wheel but certainly not cheap, anyone buy one from them?
        2005 6MT Coupe Mystic Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

You can feel that exposed piece of leather on each side on the back of wheel. It makes it feel cheap.

The true best steering wheels were done by an M3F OG OG Deadlysyns AKA Cong. He's MIA though.
          some of the QC issues with Coby is disappointing. I've been looking at a basic interior refresh, basically with stock parts but I think some stitching on the shift/ebrake boots would be nice. If not Coby for this, then who? Or are those two items so simple compared to the wheel that Coby does just fine?

Comment

Originally posted by tnord View Post

some of the QC issues with Coby is disappointing. I've been looking at a basic interior refresh, basically with stock parts but I think some stitching on the shift/ebrake boots would be nice. If not Coby for this, then who? Or are those two items so simple compared to the wheel that Coby does just fine?
            Coby's boots are perfectly fine. The steering wheels are hit or miss.

If I was going to go with a Coby steering wheel, I would emphasize what you're not looking for and explain it to Mike.
            2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
            2005 BMW ///M3
            Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
            2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
            2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
            2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

thanks for the feedback. I was planning to just get a new OE wheel to get the trim piece at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

If I was going to go with a Coby steering wheel, I would emphasize what you're not looking for and explain it to Mike.
                This is probably what you gotta do. I got my coby wheel not too long ago, and communicated with Mike along the way. I really love it and fit and finish was spot on for me

Comment

I just ordered a Coby wheel a few days ago and he said it will be like 3 weeks, which is fine. Will post pictures when I get it. I just ordered one of the standard options on the site, hoping I don't need to emphasize anything in my case lol.
                  http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                  '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Just received my Coby wheel yesterday and after insall, it looks great. Its clearly thicker, although considering my old wheel was 145k miles old, its not a fair comparison regardless. Im happy with it by any metric. At the end of the day, this car is meant to be driven and enjoyed, so its totally worth the price. If youre building a trailer queen, i guess youll be pickier than i am Click image for larger version

Name:	93CD800E-F749-454B-B16D-4B5F626F70FD.jpeg
Views:	535
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	122357

Comment

Damn that's a thicc wheelboi.
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

considering getting this one I saw on ebay- but not quite sure if its a re-wrap... any ideas?
                        2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post
                          considering getting this one I saw on ebay- but not quite sure if its a re-wrap... any ideas?
                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/16503737831...UAAOSwmAdhJyNq
                          It’s a rewrap. Description says it’s remanufactured.
                          2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

compare the backside to this genuine one, def re-wrap

Comment

thanks!
                              2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

EDIT July 2023: couple years later, the materials have NOT held up. The red stripe faded out pretty quickly, the rest of the wheel is okay looking still but I’m disappointed by how quickly the stripe went bad.

Got my Coby wheel last week, looks good to me. Great deal for the price with a core return. Regarding the thickness, yea it's a bit more because it's another layer on there. But I like that. I don't understand why people gripe about it. I have a wheel exactly like this in my E36, same colors and style but I bought it from Tanik on eBay. I think the Coby wheel is on par with these materials at least.

IMG_6250 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

IMG_6252 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

IMG_6253 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

IMG_6256 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr
                                Last edited by Nate047; 07-02-2023, 01:47 PM.
                                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                                X