MAP sensor wiring help PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post

I ordered them a while back they been stuck there for almost 2 weeks. I just found someone local to 3D print them with a slight modification so it can fit a bit more flush.
    You da man! Lmk when you have these available as I'm local. Hard to believe I've been running the Kassel setup for almost 2yrs now and hard to believe I've had all these minor issues.

Also, for anyone running the Turner Harness plugged into the MAF sensor harness for the sake of not having to hack the oem harness, would you care to share your wiring? I'm going to dig into this further tomorrow, but I believe there may be a wiring issue with my setup as I'm only getting around 4V at ACC with pressure at 1bar, but at idle I believe I was getting close to 1.5v with almost double the map pressure ecuworx specifies.

Plan with the turner harness was to use the two iat wires on the maf connector and plug them into the turner harness but forgo the remaining terminals but I'm thinking something is going on here that is affecting the MAP sensor output.

Played around tonight and noticed on the MAP sensor wiring side I had the following:

Initial setup:
    -Pin 18 plugged in from MAP
    -Pin 17 spliced with MAP sensor ground and oem ground
    -Pin 7 spliced with red/green on map and red/green oem pin

Next I tried unsplicing 17 and connecting the oem ground back to pin 17, then used the map sensor brown wire into pin 16. Surprisingly no change in readings on testo.

Lastly (and I knew this was a longshot of doing anything), swapped pins 16 and 17 in the harness and unsurprisingly got the same output of 4V DC and 997mbar pressure via testo with the car off like cubieman posted a few pages back.

I'll pull the snorkel tomorrow and check how the turner harness is integrated as it has been a while since I did this with a friend, but wanted to see if you all had any ideas as to what could be up with my wiring? It sounds like something is up with the turner harness, but I swear my IATs were good last time I checked? Hmm...
    2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post

You da man! Lmk when you have these available as I'm local. Hard to believe I've been running the Kassel setup for almost 2yrs now and hard to believe I've had all these minor issues.

Also, for anyone running the Turner Harness plugged into the MAF sensor harness for the sake of not having to hack the oem harness, would you care to share your wiring? I'm going to dig into this further tomorrow, but I believe there may be a wiring issue with my setup as I'm only getting around 4V at ACC with pressure at 1bar, but at idle I believe I was getting close to 1.5v with almost double the map pressure ecuworx specifies.

Plan with the turner harness was to use the two iat wires on the maf connector and plug them into the turner harness but forgo the remaining terminals but I'm thinking something is going on here that is affecting the MAP sensor output.

Played around tonight and noticed on the MAP sensor wiring side I had the following:

Initial setup:
      -Pin 18 plugged in from MAP
      -Pin 17 spliced with MAP sensor ground and oem ground
      -Pin 7 spliced with red/green on map and red/green oem pin

Next I tried unsplicing 17 and connecting the oem ground back to pin 17, then used the map sensor brown wire into pin 16. Surprisingly no change in readings on testo.

Lastly (and I knew this was a longshot of doing anything), swapped pins 16 and 17 in the harness and unsurprisingly got the same output of 4V DC and 997mbar pressure via testo with the car off like cubieman posted a few pages back.

I'll pull the snorkel tomorrow and check how the turner harness is integrated as it has been a while since I did this with a friend, but wanted to see if you all had any ideas as to what could be up with my wiring? It sounds like something is up with the turner harness, but I swear my IATs were good last time I checked? Hmm...
      Is your graph also the same way as the others with the Kassel set up? If you look at everyone’s graph including mine it shows around 4.1 with engine off and around 1 bar,

06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Post # 2
        06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post

Is your graph also the same way as the others with the Kassel set up? If you look at everyone’s graph including mine it shows around 4.1 with engine off and around 1 bar,
          Pretty much actually. 4V and 996mbar of pressure at ACC, around 1.5v and 2-3xx mbar of pressure at idle iirc. Looking to move the sensor to the booster area once the t tubes are available but any idea what's causing the voltage and pressure discrepancies?

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Comment

...Also, for anyone running the Turner Harness plugged into the MAF sensor harness for the sake of not having to hack the oem harness, would you care to share your wiring? ...
            I am using the Turner Harness and that is why I used the unoccupied Pin 16 for my MAP ground as opposed to de-pinning pin 17. Pin 17 provides ground to the MAF which in turn provides ground to the IAT when using the Tuner harness.

So MAP wiring for me was as follows:
            pin 18 Signal
            pin 16 Ground
            ​pin 7 (spliced into existing wire) Power

I will be wiring the flap soon and off hand I don't know if the Turner deal will screw with the wiring I have done or not, I can't imagine it will. One other nice thing about the Turner harness with a CSL intake is you can simply cut off the extra unused MAF connector and splice there for whatever you need rather than having to pull wires to the DME.
            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

I am using the Turner Harness and that is why I used the unoccupied Pin 16 for my MAP ground as opposed to de-pinning pin 17. Pin 17 provides ground to the MAF which in turn provides ground to the IAT when using the Tuner harness.

So MAP wiring for me was as follows:
              pin 18 Signal
              pin 16 Ground
              ​pin 7 (spliced into existing wire) Power

I will be wiring the flap soon and off hand I don't know if the Turner deal will screw with the wiring I have done or not, I can't imagine it will. One other nice thing about the Turner harness with a CSL intake is you can simply cut off the extra unused MAF connector and splice there for whatever you need rather than having to pull wires to the DME.
              Yup. This is exactly why I was one of the early adopters of the Turner harness when it came out. Hack the turner harness and not the oem wiring harness lol.

Ok so currently I appear to have the same Map wiring setup as you now, but noticed no change in output with the car off compared to having the map spliced into pin 17.

Looking at this diagram below, it appears pins 22 and 25 are power and ground on the dme side, which in turn connect to pins 1 and 2 (IAT functioning pins) on the MAF harness. Given that you normally would cut these out of the maf harness and tuck the rest away, I wonder now if pin 17 is actually causing the issue and needs to be unplugged and left out? May give it a try. Thought I read pin 17 is actually to power the MAF connector for a non-csl car?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_6430.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	26429

I would like to have the ability to run the flap later on down the road, so curious what you come up with the turner harness in the equation.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by thegenius46m; 05-19-2020, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I am interested as well if my wiring setup will have to be changed to run the flap. I'll find out soon now that I finally have all the correct connections etc. I'll report back if/when I find out anything.

Instagram

Comment

From Kassel:

"As for oscillations, we also notice a slight oscillation at idle on
                  the MAP that is diminished under load . Many hours of exhaustive dyno
                  and street testing comparing both genuine CSL rail mounted sensors to
                  the Kassel sensor were performed before releasing this product 2 years
                  ago. Our findings were that fuel trims and AFR's were identical under
                  both cruising and full load operating conditions on all of the
                  vehicles we tested. Long term testing has concluded the same when
                  comparing data over several months of running each setup on the same
                  cars...."

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                    From Kassel:

"As for oscillations, we also notice a slight oscillation at idle on
                    the MAP that is diminished under load . Many hours of exhaustive dyno
                    and street testing comparing both genuine CSL rail mounted sensors to
                    the Kassel sensor were performed before releasing this product 2 years
                    ago. Our findings were that fuel trims and AFR's were identical under
                    both cruising and full load operating conditions on all of the
                    vehicles we tested. Long term testing has concluded the same when
                    comparing data over several months of running each setup on the same
                    cars...."
                    Hmmm...do we agree with this assessment? I would assume the ECU would use a running average with a specific high enough sample rate for the necessary resolution. This would help eliminate effects of ripples in the data. Still, I'm not sure it's a good thing.
                    2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

Hmmm...do we agree with this assessment? I would assume the ECU would use a running average with a specific high enough sample rate for the necessary resolution. This would help eliminate effects of ripples in the data. Still, I'm not sure it's a good thing.
                      Sounds like an easy reply to cover his end. I have a wideband in my car and can test before and after but I can't say how accurate it'll be since I don't drive the car enough anymore for long-term testing haha.

Comment

Sounds like an easy reply to cover his end. I have a wideband in my car and can test before and after but I can't say how accurate it'll be since I don't drive the car enough anymore for long-term testing haha.
                        Agreed that it sounds like an easy response for them to cover themselves. I also sent an email to Kassel, but no response yet. My email was very detailed so I hope they dont blow me off.
                        2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

Agreed that it sounds like an easy response for them to cover themselves. I also sent an email to Kassel, but no response yet. My email was very detailed so I hope they dont blow me off.
                          Yeah I prefer data to an opinion.

Comment

Just adding some of my data that I just took. I've got the Kassel adapter and sensor and I've routed my wiring underneath the airbox. Data recorded after driving the car for ~30 min with refresh rate set to 10 Hz. Car feels completely normal and all the power is there.

Engine off:
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Engine Off.png Views:	0 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	29011

Warm start:
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Warm Start.png Views:	0 Size:	123.6 KB ID:	29012

Two ~3.5k rpm blips followed by slower rise from idle to ~2.5k rpm:
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Two 3K Blips, one longer acceleration.png Views:	0 Size:	128.1 KB ID:	29013

Trying to keep steady at 2.5k rpm (probably fluctuated between 2.2k rpm and 2.8k rpm):
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Steady at 2.5K.png Views:	0 Size:	118.2 KB ID:	29014
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I'm trying to make sense of exactly what parts I need to cleanly wire the MAP sensor in (I am aiming to do this without making any changes to the factory wiring harness, so no soldering or tapping). Following NZ_M3's thread on cslregister he says:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 1.09.03 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	879.8 KB ID:	29278

The first p/n he gives seems to just be the head of the wiring shown (that plugs onto the MAP sensor itself). As for the second p/n, I can't seem to find a good photo of the actual part, is it the rest of what's shown (with the turquoise connector end)? If so, what's the part number for the piece that the turquoise connector end would plug into, which goes all the way to the DME pins? Seen in this photo connecting into the turquoise end: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4448/...37c74904_c.jpg

Am I confused about how this works? TIA!
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ATB88; 05-28-2020, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                                Just adding some of my data that I just took. I've got the Kassel adapter and sensor and I've routed my wiring underneath the airbox. Data recorded after driving the car for ~30 min with refresh rate set to 10 Hz. Car feels completely normal and all the power is there.

Engine off:
                                Click image for larger version Name:	Engine Off.png Views:	0 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	29011

Warm start:
                                Click image for larger version Name:	Warm Start.png Views:	0 Size:	123.6 KB ID:	29012

Two ~3.5k rpm blips followed by slower rise from idle to ~2.5k rpm:
                                Click image for larger version Name:	Two 3K Blips, one longer acceleration.png Views:	0 Size:	128.1 KB ID:	29013

Trying to keep steady at 2.5k rpm (probably fluctuated between 2.2k rpm and 2.8k rpm):
                                Click image for larger version Name:	Steady at 2.5K.png Views:	0 Size:	118.2 KB ID:	29014
                                I think what we are seeing is the vacuum pulses for the cylinder that the kassel adapter is installed over, the entire rail shares air but being right above a cylinder at idle would read just that one stronger than the rest right? When it’s on the booster hose or a factory rail you see much smaller pulses because it’s reading all six cylinders evenly. As soon as the throttle is opened it wouldn’t matter anymore. Or are people thinking it’s more of EM interference from the injectors? I don’t know that it matters as long as the car runs well.

Comment

Working...
                                X