Side mirror replacements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side mirror replacements?

Checked out a couple youtube videos on replacing these things, and noticed both videos i watched had an issue for the wiring to the heated mirrors not reaching on the drivers side.

It appears somewhere along the line, BMW changed from a locking clip + double stick tape to a new version that just clips in. Question i have is, have any of you recently replaced their side mirrors (particularly drivers side), and didn't have an issue having to extend the wiring? If so can you share where you purchased? Thanks!

Yeah at some point, BMW moved the connectors to the other side of the mirror, so earlier cars will have harnesses that are too short to reach. BMW sells an adapter harness for this (that is ridiculously priced): 51167836442

More info on the change here: https://mirrorjohn.com/diy-how-to-ch...other-bmws.php

If your car is 2005+, you should already have the extended harness. Otherwise, you could either extend the wiring yourself or get an adapter harness. Mirrorjohn seems to sell some as well.

Unfortunately have no sources for early style mirrors. I just bought some new ones for my car (02 build) and plan on extending the wiring.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

What year is your chassis?
      post LCI cars do not require the extension.
      changed them on my 2004 w/o issues.

Comment

Bought both the passenger and driver side from MirrorJohn and bought the extenders from him as well. Seems like a daunting task but it was super simple.

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
          Bought both the passenger and driver side from MirrorJohn and bought the extenders from him as well. Seems like a daunting task but it was super simple.
          This. I did the same thing. Mirrors are great quality. Install is a snap. Literally. LMK if you’d like to talk it through.

And, FWIW, MirrorJohn says the wiring switches at MY05. Regardless, he has the nifty convex mirrors and wires for £70 shipped. This is the way.

PS: Hope you’re enjoying that Eventuri, Antknee. I’ve got my scoop on and the howl is back. Without the cold air routed by the scoop, the sound (and intake temps) are suboptimal.
          Last edited by LSB4Me; 06-17-2022, 10:40 PM.

Comment

BMW also has an extension:

Comment

Just swapped my mirrors recently and the extension harness is not needed at all: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nto-a-late-one
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

When I got my car, the driver's mirror was delaminating and the passenger mirror didn't work. I replaced the passenger mirror motor, got the harness extension and mirror glass. All good. When I went to replace the driver's side glass, I found some sort of kludge of a repair, had to do the same to the driver's side- motor, harness extension, mirror glass. Was about $600 for all of that. If I had known about the harness relocation, I could have saved $40 or so.

Comment

Working...
                X