Want to see something ridiculous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to see something ridiculous?

So took my car in to get an alignment this week and they discovered that they could not get the turner camber plates to adjust any further. Upon further inspection they discovered the shop that installed my camber plates and coilovers ground the f out of my shock towers. Also note the bent and messed up metal on the top and the markings on the camber plates all done by that same offending shop. Might not show up well in the pictures but they basically marked and scratched up the brand new camber plates when it was installed. Insert wtf here...

In the middle of resolving this with the original shop, and it is not going the way I had hoped. They claim they installed "correctly". On what f'ing planet is that right? Depending how it is resolved I'll be putting out a PSA not to go to this shop. There are a group of us that no longer take our cars there due to various reasons. Honestly it is ridiculous when things like this are done. Mistakes happen, in my opinion this should have never been done especially without asking first, but it is also how it is handled after the fact. My response would of been f no you are not doing that if they had asked first. The shop that found this figures they did not understand how to adjust the turned plates and just started grinding away and scratching, bending the shit out of the camber plates to adjust it. Stuff like this is so disappointing.

Who else has a story like this? Maybe we can turn this into a wtf did you do to my car thread as some sort of group therapy lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	driver-side.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	172410

Name:	passenger-side.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	172411

Doesn't look good no, but I don't understand why you couldn't get the alignment done?
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      Doesn't look good no, but I don't understand why you couldn't get the alignment done?
      They did the alignment after taking the camber plates out and reinstalling correctly. Now on to getting that fixed and re-enforcement plates installed. Basically weld the holes closed and re-drill to stock specs.

Comment

Pretty much sums up why I never let anyone else do any work on my car.

Comment

I've seen quite a few decent shops die over the decades and it is always the same story. Owner starts small and does well, so the shop grows and then the owner forgets there isn't a shop foreman on this planet who will run their shop as good as they once did. Owner wants to be a desk jockey because they've "earned" it and then poof, shop dies a slow painful death. The owner has to be quality control, no one will ever care as much.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
            Pretty much sums up why I never let anyone else do any work on my car.
            Yep how I feel as well but there are a couple shops locally I trust.

Comment

One time I took a car to get a set of Ohlins installed, on the ride home there was some loud banging going on. I got it home and found the top nuts for the camber plates weren't on, they were just sitting in the cup area of the strut housing.

Comment

Originally posted by lvm3sm46 View Post
                One time I took a car to get a set of Ohlins installed, on the ride home there was some loud banging going on. I got it home and found the top nuts for the camber plates weren't on, they were just sitting in the cup area of the strut housing.
                That's a thing with ohlins and some camber plates. With my ohlins and ground control street camber plates, the threaded portion of the strut didn't protrude above the camber plate enough to properly engage the nyloc on the nut. Mine came loose as well. I was able to remove one of the washer shims underneath the camber plate and I turned down the nut on the lathe as well so that the nyloc is fully engaged and several threads are above the nut.

Comment

They also seem to be installed wrong direction-wise.
                  BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                  https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Wow, this really sucks. Hope you get this resolved op.

Comment

The guy wanted his check engine light fixed so his son could drive the car.

Name:	20210113_131506.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	172449

Name:	20210113_132012.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	172450

Name:	20210113_131310.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	172451

Even the trailer they towed it in on was sketchy. Typically I'm a very helpful person but that day, I was not about to get killed over this car. We decided to not work on the car unless he approved the $12,000 worth of major safety issues on this car. We didn't work on the car.
                      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Hacks.

That's why I do all my own work.

Comment

Yeah I don’t trust anyone, except a very few people. They have to be friends basically. Friends that do the same thing I do.

sorry to see this. Bummer!

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                            The guy wanted his check engine light fixed so his son could drive the car.

Name:	20210113_131506.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	172449

Name:	20210113_132012.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	172450

Name:	20210113_131310.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	172451

Even the trailer they towed it in on was sketchy. Typically I'm a very helpful person but that day, I was not about to get killed over this car. We decided to not work on the car unless he approved the $12,000 worth of major safety issues on this car. We didn't work on the car.
                            He must not like his son very much...

Comment

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ispreloading=1

I don't know who posted this but thank you from the bottom of my heart. This thread is quite the dumpster fire. As a prior Porsche tech, I saw some many things lacking required special tools or requiring a special method that the OP didn't bother trying to figure out. Over the course of 3 days I read through this thread and one thing I can say is I'm glad he doesn't own an E46 M3 anymore.
                              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                              X