Does the CSL have this sound deadening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the CSL have this sound deadening?

The grey-brown rubber stuff under the dash, see the red arrows. I have the dash off right now and am going to rip it out if the CSL doesn't have it. Some members have said that real CSLs' induction noise is louder and I'm wondering if this is a culprit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3685.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	172553

I just had mine apart (dash out), put it back together and never even thought to pull that out. Interested to hear what others say. The dash is fairly easy to get out, so depending on what people say, it may be coming back out again.
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
      I just had mine apart (dash out), put it back together and never even thought to pull that out. Interested to hear what others say. The dash is fairly easy to get out, so depending on what people say, it may be coming back out again.
      Paging NZ_M3 😛

I’m pretty tempted to just be the guinea pig, realoem says this crap weighs 2.5 kg and it’s feeling pretty brittle anyway. If the trade off is more engine / induction noise in the cabin I’m good with that. No one here daily drives these anymore. It’s encouraging that it’s labeled sound insulation in realoem and not fire retardant or something lol.

Comment

It for sure ain't fire retardant! Do it!!
        😈

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Paging NZ_M3 😛

I’m pretty tempted to just be the guinea pig, realoem says this crap weighs 2.5 kg and it’s feeling pretty brittle anyway. If the trade off is more engine / induction noise in the cabin I’m good with that. No one here daily drives these anymore. It’s encouraging that it’s labeled sound insulation in realoem and not fire retardant or something lol.
          I daily mine but would love to hear that growling even more from inside.
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

The dash is fairly easy to get out
            anybody reading this please refer to this man's color change journal/level of car disassembly and reassess how much this comment applies to your own skillset and amount of free time

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

anybody reading this please refer to this man's color change journal/level of car disassembly and reassess how much this comment applies to your own skillset and amount of free time
              i wondered about that :-)

another contributing factor to the noise is absolutely the thinner air cabin filter carrier in the engine bay of the CSL. Likely, that’s not news around here tho!

Comment

64118372794?

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

Ha! Wasn't my intention to mislead anyone.

For the first time doing this, I'd plan a weekend. A weekend for 2.5kg so factor that into any assessment you're doing.

After reassembling the entire dashboard - gauge cluster, vents, radio, etc. - a couple of days later I noticed I had forgotten to reconnect an HVAC vent that sits above the transmission tunnel on the passenger side. I removed it months earlier and it was buried under other parts and pieces. So I had to remove everything again (the entire dashboard). It took me maybe 2 hours total. However, I had just done the job and knew where every nut and bolt was and nothing was in the way. That is, no steering wheel, seats, center console, etc. so admittedly it was a bit easier than if you were starting from scratch.

That said, you most likely won't need to completely remove the dash. Once unbolted, I *think* you might be able to slide it back far enough to get access to that insulation. You still have to remove everything to get to it so it might near as much make no difference, but I think the dashboard doesn't actually need to be removed from the car like in the OPs photo.

Comment

Originally posted by FBloggs View Post
                    64118372794?
                    Not that one, the brown flat rubber stuff covering the interior side of the firewall: 51487072597

It’s on the CSL diagrams too but those are often a lie. The under hood insulation is included on them for example in the very same diagram.

Comment

I was in three different CSL's and I can confirm they're much much louder on the inside.

I can't hear my CSL airbox at all.

I can't confirm if they don't have that insulation piece but I know for a fact that they don't have a lot of random shit lol
                      2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                      2005 BMW ///M3
                      Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                      2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                      2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                      2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                        I was in three different CSL's and I can confirm they're much much louder on the inside.

I can't hear my CSL airbox at all.

I can't confirm if they don't have that insulation piece but I know for a fact that they don't have a lot of random shit lol
                        But you said they have aftermarket exhausts, right? Or was the induction noise itself louder?
                        Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                        Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

I gave up on this idea .. that rubber shit is buried way deeper in there than I thought. I’d have to take way more stuff out to have any hope of getting all of it. It’s one huge piece that covers the whole firewall, lot of it is bolted in underneath other things

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                            I gave up on this idea .. that rubber shit is buried way deeper in there than I thought. I’d have to take way more stuff out to have any hope of getting all of it. It’s one huge piece that covers the whole firewall, lot of it is bolted in underneath other things
                            Oh got it. I didn't realize it was the same piece, but that's probably the same insulation that comes down the firewall all the way to the floor board/foot well. That's some pretty thick stuff that likely keeps some heat out of the passenger compartment.

Comment

Oh got it. I didn't realize it was the same piece, but that's probably the same insulation that comes down the firewall all the way to the floor board/foot well. That's some pretty thick stuff that likely keeps some heat out of the passenger compartment.
                              Per bmw it's for noise.
                              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                              X