Manual - won’t go it on 3,4,5 or 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual - won’t go it on 3,4,5 or 6

So, a few hundred miles ago I had a conversion from smg to manual done. Today I was out driving after putting a karbonius box on, listening to those sweet sounds. After taking off hard, I couldn’t get the car into third. At first I thought I might have a clutch issue as it would not go into 3 or 4. No grinding. As I slowed I was able to get it back into second. I stopped at a stop light and the shifter would only go into reverse, 1st and 2nd. The shifter won’t let me push it to the right from neutral, only to the left. I assume this has something to do with the conversion and the spring/bell housing work. Any thoughts before I call the shop on Monday to have them get it fixed? Just curious what it might be. It goes in reverse, first and second without issue.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sleeks; 06-19-2022, 11:44 AM.
    2004 Silver Grey - Manual - Slick top - Manual Cloth Seats

In neutral and let go the shifter, is it at the 3/4 gate or 1/2 gate? IOW, if the shifter is pushed forward from this "free" position, it should engage 3rd gear. Do you have to compress the spring force to get to 1st and 2nd gate?

Comment

Some good info in this thread below. I'm not sure if it's any of the issues outlined in this thread, but you can start ruling some things out by going through and checking things outlined in the thread.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ession-springs
      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
        In neutral and let go the shifter, is it at the 3/4 gate or 1/2 gate? IOW, if the shifter is pushed forward from this "free" position, it should engage 3rd gear. Do you have to compress the spring force to get to 1st and 2nd gate?
        Normal spring force for first and the normal extra for reverse. Won’t go right at all. It seems like it is at the 3/4 gate when I let go, but it won’t go in to either.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
          Some good info in this thread below. I'm not sure if it's any of the issues outlined in this thread, but you can start ruling some things out by going through and checking things outlined in the thread.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ession-springs
          Thanks. Seems like detents might be the cause, but I am guessing we will have to drop the transmission.

Comment

A detent spring might be broken which might jam a roller from moving.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
              A detent spring might be broken which might jam a roller from moving.
              Assuming the bellhousing 5/6 detent spring broke and jammed, then it explain why shifter cannot moved to the right or 5/6 gate, but why it cannot shift into 3rd or 4th which has no detent at all? I'm thinking the big coil spring somehow jumped over the moving arm pin from left to the right side, and jammed the arm from moving to the 5/6 gate. With the big spring on the right side of the pin, it cause the shift rod not line up to the 3/4 gate perfectly and so cannot shift to 3 or 4th.

Comment

Assuming the bellhousing 5/6 detent spring broke and jammed, then it explain why shifter cannot moved to the right or 5/6 gate, but why it cannot shift into 3rd or 4th which has no detent at all? I'm thinking the big coil spring somehow jumped over the moving arm pin from left to the right side, and jammed the arm from moving to the 5/6 gate. With the big spring on the right side of the pin, it cause the shift rod not line up to the 3/4 gate perfectly and so cannot shift to 3 or 4th.
                There’s no detent for 3/4. Possible that the spring has the 1-2 gate hung up?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

There’s no detent for 3/4. Possible that the spring has the 1-2 gate hung up?
                  OP confirmed that he had to compress the detent spring to get to the 1/2 gate, so it acts normal. The big question is why it cannot shift to 3rd or 4th as the shifter normally defaults to 3/4 gate? Something have offset the the shift rod arm (with the ball bearing in the bell housing) slightly away from the 3/4 plane, and the only thing could do this is the big coil spring.

Comment

OP confirmed that he had to compress the detent spring to get to the 1/2 gate, so it acts normal. The big question is why it cannot shift to 3rd or 4th as the shifter normally defaults to 3/4 gate? Something have offset the the shift rod arm (with the ball bearing in the bell housing) slightly away from the 3/4 plane, and the only thing could do this is the big coil spring.

Yes, 1, 2 and reverse all have normal detent spring action. Slight push to 1 and 2 and harder push to reverse. Centers back when let go. I was also most worried about 3 and 4 not going in to gear. I am figuring the transmission has to come out. Have an appointment for next week-shop is coming to get it with their trailer as I can’t drive to them with only first and second, lol. I’ll update everyone once I know what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X