Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INPA code "Throttle valve pot. 2" -- which TPS is that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INPA code "Throttle valve pot. 2" -- which TPS is that?

Thanks!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    Thanks!
    I believe pot 2 is the one next to oil filter housing at the front of the engine. But I’ve always unplugged the sensor and read the live data to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

I believe pot 2 is the one next to oil filter housing at the front of the engine. But I’ve always unplugged the sensor and read the live data to be sure.
      That’s what I thought as well, but replaced it and still getting the code.

Issue is intermittent, so can’t test by watching the data.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

It you unplug one of them, the live reading for that one shouldn’t move.

Comment

Actually I just tested it. I want to change my answer. I think pot 2 is pedal position. There are two sensors for pedal travel.

The front tps is labeled throttle and the rear tps is labeled servomotor.

Only reference to “pot 1” or “pot 2” is in the pedal travel live data channels.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

It you unplug one of them, the live reading for that one shouldn’t move.
            Yeah that’s what I was trying to say.

But I can’t find a ref for 1 or 2 in TPS live data. Just throttle and servomotor. I verified “throttle” is the one by the Oil Filter Housing by unplugging it and watching the data go flat.

Comment

TPS 2 is definitely the one by oil filter housing. On schematic it’s R6252
              Attached Files

Comment

Pedal position sensor schematics below. Hope it helps

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Yeah that’s what I was trying to say.

But I can’t find a ref for 1 or 2 in TPS live data. Just throttle and servomotor. I verified “throttle” is the one by the Oil Filter Housing by unplugging it and watching the data go flat.
                  Hmm, maybe inpa doesn't report it, but I'm fairly sure it's part of the serial message. Testo or something should be able to show the readout

Comment

Hmph, I actually briefly went into limp mode today and found a code for "Throttle Position Sensor 1" (code 76). Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the TPS on the throttle actuator, and not the pedal? Thanks!

Comment

In my case, it seems this error (2) was thrown by the pedal.

I had assumed that to not be the failure point, as I replaced it <2000 ago, but it looks like I used the OE brand instead of Genuine BMW (using FCP's parlance)... and it bit me.

Not taking advantage of the lifetime warranty this time-- switching to Genuine BMW.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I had assumed that to not be the failure point, as I replaced it <2000 ago, but it looks like I used the OE brand instead of Genuine BMW (using FCP's parlance)... and it bit me.

Not taking advantage of the lifetime warranty this time-- switching to Genuine BMW.
                        FCP will actually let you "trade up" from OE to Genuine BMW. Buy the Genuine BMW from them and then send the OE part back as a warranty return and they'll refund it, so, you just pay the difference, and you retain lifetime warranty on the BMW part. This was happily explained to me by an FCP rep on the phone a while ago and I've done it, but maybe call to make sure if you're dubious

Huh, okay, so then I guess in my case it's either oil filter housing or throttle actuator. I guess I can replace both under FCP warranty, and I'm about to swap airbox back to stock for smog, so I'll have access. Still, though, I remain curious what the actual labelings are.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

FCP will actually let you "trade up" from OE to Genuine BMW. Buy the Genuine BMW from them and then send the OE part back as a warranty return and they'll refund it, so, you just pay the difference, and you retain lifetime warranty on the BMW part. This was happily explained to me by an FCP rep on the phone a while ago and I've done it, but maybe call to make sure if you're dubious

Huh, okay, so then I guess in my case it's either oil filter housing or throttle actuator. I guess I can replace both under FCP warranty, and I'm about to swap airbox back to stock for smog, so I'll have access. Still, though, I remain curious what the actual labelings are.
                          You ever fix the warm start issue?
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

You ever fix the warm start issue?
                            Nope :[ Haven't thought about it for the last year, finishing grad school basically nuked car tinkering time lol. Still happens every once in a while, still mildly annoying, everything else in the car still otherwise perfect (aside from this random TPS failure). You?

Comment

New genuine BMW pedal fix the issue for you Ian? My car just threw the same code and I replaced the engine bay TPSs not too long ago, so I'm pretty sure it's the pedal.

Edit: Hmm, I'm not so sure, 2 is the pedal now... Unplugged the TPS by the oil filter housing and DME threw a "TPS 1" code. Then unplugged the pedal and the DME threw a pedal specific code. Will try unplugging the one under the intake next to see what the DME says.
                              Last edited by heinzboehmer; 10-26-2023, 12:30 PM.
                              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X