Brake Rattle Over Bumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Rattle Over Bumps

Having bad brake rattling over harsh bumps. Most noticeable when driving over those reflectors in the middle of the double yellow lines. I believe this started after i changed my brakes to Zimmerman rotors and OE brake pads, and new anti rattle clips, and new guide pins. Its only the front, and I believe both sides but definitely driver side for sure. I have removed and installed the brakes 5 times now and i cannot for the life of me figure out whats going on. My best guess is that the inner pad ears are hitting the caliper over harsh bumps. Anyone else have this issue?

Originally posted by thetypicalm3guy View Post
    Having bad brake rattling over harsh bumps. Most noticeable when driving over those reflectors in the middle of the double yellow lines. I believe this started after i changed my brakes to Zimmerman rotors and OE brake pads, and new anti rattle clips, and new guide pins. Its only the front, and I believe both sides but definitely driver side for sure. I have removed and installed the brakes 5 times now and i cannot for the life of me figure out whats going on. My best guess is that the inner pad ears are hitting the caliper over harsh bumps. Anyone else have this issue?
    How do you know the noise is brake related?

Comment

When i slightly hold the brake and go over bumps the noise goes away

Comment

Man you got all kinds of problems bro.
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
          Man you got all kinds of problems bro.
          Lol yes I do

Comment

Snap a photo of the anti rattle clips? They should be *very* tight.

On each inboard brake pad there are three metal prongs that slide into the piston bore. If you’re pads don’t have these prongs that may be the source of the rattle. Most replacement pads have the prongs but some specialty or cheap pads will not.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
              Snap a photo of the anti rattle clips? They should be *very* tight.

On each inboard brake pad there are three metal prongs that slide into the piston bore. If you’re pads don’t have these prongs that may be the source of the rattle. Most replacement pads have the prongs but some specialty or cheap pads will not.
              I used OE Jurid pads from BMW dealer. They had the 3 prongs on the back of the inner pad. I will upload photos to show how things look.

Comment

I used OE Jurid pads from BMW dealer. They had the 3 prongs on the back of the inner pad. I will upload photos to show how things look.
                Maybe the rubber caliper guide bushings are worn out?

Comment

This makes the most sense to me. These cars are pretty old
                  This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                  https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Just replaced both front side with OE ATE bushings from FCP Euro, Still having rattling over bumps.

I am about to rip my hair out, this is what I have replaced:

OE Jurid BMW Brake Pads
                    Zimmerman Rotors from FCP Euro
                    OE Brake Pad Anti rattle clips
                    OE Brake Guide pins
                    OE Brake Guide pin bushings

I really don't know what else to replace, seems like ive done it all.

Any help appreciated.

Comment

Make sure the caliper mounting big bolts are not loose.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                        Make sure the caliper mounting big bolts are not loose.
                        Good point, checked them and they are torqued to 81 ft lbs

Comment

Good point, checked them and they are torqued to 81 ft lbs
                          Are you referencing an older version of the torque spec pdf? They're supposed to be torqued to 48 ft lb. Probably not gonna solve your rattle but FYI.

Edit: This is wrong, see my comment below.
                          Last edited by heinzboehmer; 07-31-2022, 03:46 PM.
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Shot in the dark, you have these clips installed on the caliper right?

Comment

I believe this started after i changed my brakes to Zimmerman rotors and OE brake pads, and new anti rattle clips, and new guide pins.
                              Remove the clip holding caliper to carrier (anti-rattle), then try to wiggle the caliper -- up/down and in/out -- and see how much free plays. If too much plays then the caliper rubber bush (over the pin) is too worn.

Comment

Working...
                              X