Stripped Oil Drain Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bimmer View Post
    These aren't cheap but I use them all the time and they don't break like the crappy ones from the parts store. Highly recommend having in the tool box.

IRWIN Screw Extractor Set, Hex Head, Multi-Spline, 25-Piece (53227)

I have this same set. Broken two of them so far. Irwin won’t sell you replacements, you need to buy the whole kit.

Comment

i had a stripped oil drain plug in my m5, i went to harbor freight, bought their broken screw extractor kit that has two bits, put the larger one in my drill at home and drilled it into the stripped drain plug and then reversed it right out no problem. no damage to the oil pan treads either.

Comment

Using a torx bit worked. Now how do I get the stuck torx bit out of the drain plug?

Comment

Originally posted by dog2bert View Post
          Using a torx bit worked. Now how do I get the stuck torx bit out of the drain plug?
          I held the torx bit with a vice (underside) then tapped on either side of plug evenly down until it popped off.
          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

I have one of these, as I may encounter this on my next oil change...haven't used it yet though...

Facom 3/8" Drive Grip Bit Socket-5mm - for the safe and effective removal - auto parts for your vehicle at Ultimate Garage

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
              I held the torx bit with a vice (underside) then tapped on either side of plug evenly down until it popped off.
              Just tried this and it worked. It did separate my torx bit from the socket portion, but I pressed it back together.

Comment

Originally posted by dog2bert View Post

Just tried this and it worked. It did separate my torx bit from the socket portion, but I pressed it back together.
                Glad it worked.
                6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
                  I have one of these, as I may encounter this on my next oil change...haven't used it yet though...

https://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/...oducts_id=9507
                  Nice to see Steve still around, dude is an og in the scene.

I wonder how many of these stripped heads were the result of using a precisely manufactured quality hex bit socket.
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

Nice to see Steve still around, dude is an og in the scene.

I wonder how many of these stripped heads were the result of using a precisely manufactured quality hex bit socket.
                    Yeah poor quality tools in certain circumstances can cause problems. I've bought quite a few things from Steve over the years, great guy to deal with and I always find some cool stuff on his site.

Comment

Working...
                    X