Dr Vanos Cryo hub or Beisan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr Vanos Cryo hub or Beisan?

My 2002 M3 vert is in the shop for a valve adjustment with 112k miles. Last one was done at 91k so I know it is a few miles early and the hub and sprocket bolts were fine. I am thinking that while he is in there for the valve adjustment I will have him at least check the Vanos hub. I have some questions:
    1. If the hub and sprocket bolts are fine, should I just leave well enough alone? I don't track or drive too hard.
    2. If I decide to upgrade the hub, should I go with the Beisan hub? It is half the cost of the Dr Vanos cryo hub. I have heard nothing but good things about the Beisan product and support but my mechanic is recommending Dr Vanos.
    3. Do I need to replace both the hub and pump disc? If the hub is not cracked should I send the pump disc to Beisan to have it redrilled? There seem to be conflicting opinions kicking around on the web

Don't people get terrible customer service from Dr vanos?

Comment

Don't see why you'd need a new hub if the old one isn't showing signs of wear or cracks. IMO if you're at the preemptive stage here I'd dare suggest a Beisan re-drilled pump disc would suffice.

Regards

Comment

Don't see why you'd need a new hub if the old one isn't showing signs of wear or cracks. IMO if you're at the preemptive stage here I'd dare suggest a Beisan re-drilled pump disc would suffice.
        This was confirmed by a call to Beisan. They were very helpful on the phone

Comment

What’s happened to this thread - remember I had posted answer a few times?

Comment

how about the solenoid pack? 112k currently on car, no codes, replace or not?

Comment

Beisan,every time.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by sharadn View Post
                how about the solenoid pack? 112k currently on car, no codes, replace or not?
                I would.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by sharadn View Post
                  My 2002 M3 vert is in the shop for a valve adjustment with 112k miles. Last one was done at 91k so I know it is a few miles early and the hub and sprocket bolts were fine. I am thinking that while he is in there for the valve adjustment I will have him at least check the Vanos hub. I have some questions:
                  1. If the hub and sprocket bolts are fine, should I just leave well enough alone? I don't track or drive too hard.
                  2. If I decide to upgrade the hub, should I go with the Beisan hub? It is half the cost of the Dr Vanos cryo hub. I have heard nothing but good things about the Beisan product and support but my mechanic is recommending Dr Vanos.
                  3. Do I need to replace both the hub and pump disc? If the hub is not cracked should I send the pump disc to Beisan to have it redrilled? There seem to be conflicting opinions kicking around on the web
                  If it ain't broke don't fix it. If tabs are fine I wouldn't mess with it but if you do then re-drill the disc.

I would definitely not replace a functioning solenoid with someone's melted and repaired solenoid that many have had issues with. Wait until it fails since it's easy to diagnose and repair, then decide.
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If tabs are fine I wouldn't mess with it but if you do then re-drill the disc.

I would definitely not replace a functioning solenoid with someone's melted and repaired solenoid that many have had issues with. Wait until it fails since it's easy to diagnose and repair, then decide.
                    This is all terrible advice and should be ignored— absolutely, 100% you should replace the pump disk BEFORE tab failure.

Solenoid failure can’t nuke your engine when it fails (like a vanos tab can), so less critical, but I’d do it while in there so you never have to worry about it. The stock solenoid will fail at some point, and throw the car into limp mode. If you're 500 miles from home at the time, that's a PITA. The Beisan unit likely never will.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Beisan re-soldered solenoids are garbage.

Out of curiosity, I'd really like to get the number of how many engines have been destroyed by the broken tab. Does anybody have a concrete or vague idea regarding this?
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I don't think anyone can have that data at scale, anecdotal at best. Maybe some of the busier e46 m3 shops can contribute their thoughts? However, we do know tabs break which was enough for me to pre-emptively correct. Same with RACP issues albeit there are many more documented cases of cracks and partial to full failure so much better than anecdotal.

George Hill

kaiv
                        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

RACP is a design flaw no doubt.

Once my car is in the shop I'll have the tabs checked on mine for more data and decide which route to take.

I replaced my solenoid with new not many miles ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

This is all terrible advice and should be ignored— absolutely, 100% you should replace the pump disk BEFORE tab failure.

Solenoid failure can’t nuke your engine when it fails (like a vanos tab can), so less critical, but I’d do it while in there so you never have to worry about it. The stock solenoid will fail at some point, and throw the car into limp mode. If you're 500 miles from home at the time, that's a PITA. The Beisan unit likely never will.
                            Is actually a rather good advise. just do VANOS testing and visually inspect the tabs. if it was me, and I were paranoiac ,I would only change the hub and bolts. I have the feeling that even seals is better to stay factory as long as they are good, and VANOS testing would prove that out. I speak from experience, I did the whole thing following internet advise and went very bad.

so, if no noise, VANOS test ok, and pressure test ok, turn back and leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                              Beisan re-soldered solenoids are garbage.
                              Based one what? I've never seen an example of anyone having a failure with them (which is certainly not the case with the stock unit).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                              X