Dumb Question: Injector Connector Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb Question: Injector Connector Removal

Other DIYs i have seen the injector connector looks different than this. I think you are supposed to press on that metal tab to release the injector but mine seems to have a plastic cover over the metal bar. How do I remove this connector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just pull up. The metal clip doesn't actually latch the connector in place, it kinda just holds them on with spring force. The injectors have some ramps that the clips can slide up of. Did a terrible job of explaining, but it's easy to see how it works once you have it off.

The connectors are held in the rail with some rubber bits, so they will sometimes slip out and stay on the injectors. Removing the metal clips with a pick can help get them out easier. Just make sure to not lose them in the engine bay, they have a tendency to go flying when you take them off.

Edit: Okay maybe don't pull up without removing the clip. See comments below.
    Last edited by heinzboehmer; 08-17-2022, 04:27 PM.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
      Just pull up. The metal clip doesn't actually latch the connector in place, it kinda just holds them on with spring force. The injectors have some ramps that the clips can slide up of. Did a terrible job of explaining, but it's easy to see how it works once you have it off.

The connectors are held in the rail with some rubber bits, so they will sometimes slip out and stay on the injectors. Removing the metal clips with a pick can help get them out easier. Just make sure to not lose them in the engine bay, they have a tendency to go flying when you take them off.
      In my experience removing the clip is mandatory. The injectors are designed so that they can go on easily but not come off (the bottom edge of the retention nubs is flat)

Comment

Fwiw, I removed all of the clips in my recent removal. It’s kind of a pian to do, but it all came apart pretty easy after that.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

In my experience removing the clip is mandatory. The injectors are designed so that they can go on easily but not come off (the bottom edge of the retention nubs is flat)
          Hmm, I've managed to just pull them off in the past, but usually only half come off nicely. So agreed, probably best practice to remove the clip.

TIS says you're supposed to use a special tool to pull up on each connector, which looks like it's made to partially move the clip out of the way:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 2.49.32 PM.png
Views:	247
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	180934

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 2.49.56 PM.png
Views:	212
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	180935
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Agree with this as I just broke one of the connectors. 🤬

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
              Just pull up. The metal clip doesn't actually latch the connector in place, it kinda just holds them on with spring force.
              The injector has a barb which latch to the metal clip, just like some coolant hoses on the non-M engine. Clip must be remove in order to pull the connector off the injector.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

The injector has a barb which latch to the metal clip, just like some coolant hoses on the non-M engine. Clip must be remove in order to pull the connector off the injector.
                Hmm, well maybe the flat part of the nub on my injectors is worn, as I've been able to just pull straight up in the past. Agree that the clip should be removed after staring at some pictures of injectors though. I've edited my comment above to reflect that.

Comment

Was able to salvage the connector and get it to click into place. The injector does have a steep ramp. While technically you can pull the connector off I can see why BMW made a special tool to do this. I was able to pull cyl !-3 off but cyl 4 wouldnt budge and I ended up damaging some of the plastic. It doesn't look pretty but I think it will hold. There is enough mechanical relief from the other connectors that I think this one should be fine 🤞

Comment

Not a stupid question, I too was pretty confused about what was up with these silly one-way clips. They look the same as the other Bosch clips I know and love...until you realize they're actually their evil twin.

Comment

Originally posted by Pklauser View Post
                      Not a stupid question, I too was pretty confused about what was up with these silly one-way clips. They look the same as the other Bosch clips I know and love...until you realize they're actually their evil twin.

haha, so true. F them!

Comment

I use a right angle pick tool and pull the ends of metal clip back. Its easy to get one side off then just take the pressure off the other side as you pull up.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 10.56.36 AM.png
Views:	192
Size:	934.9 KB
ID:	181074

Comment

Yep, same. My greatest fear is having one of the clips go flying into the engine bay, never to be seen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pklauser View Post
                            Yep, same. My greatest fear is having one of the clips go flying into the engine bay, never to be seen again.
                            I do this with a small magnet attached on the clip.

Comment

i had a hell of a time doing this the other day. ended up using a small pick to lift one side of the metal clips up and over the plastic and pulled them out

Comment

Working...
                              X