Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to convert the E46 M3 to be 100% flex fuel compliant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

Isn't this what the Jcobbs and JB4 tunes do for the turboed engines now? I remember that post. It was so much cheaper than the flex fuel kits. Do you have a write up on MSSMapper?
    No idea-- my interest in turboed engines is zero, so I don't follow what they're doing in the slightest.

I don't have a write up on it, but this is it:

That's the standard version, where you switch tunes with the steering wheel controls. I didn't follow the thread closely enough to see who/how they were integrating the flex fuel sensor to switch between maps, but my guess would be wiring the flex fuel sensor to an unused input on the ECU and having MSSMapper change maps based on that input.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

^^ Good info!
      06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

No idea-- my interest in turboed engines is zero, so I don't follow what they're doing in the slightest.

That's the standard version, where you switch tunes with the steering wheel controls. I didn't follow the thread closely enough to see who/how they were integrating the flex fuel sensor to switch between maps, but my guess would be wiring the flex fuel sensor to an unused input on the ECU and having MSSMapper change maps based on that input.
        Forced induction is like a different genre of music. I recognize it exists but I don't want it or care about it. Like pop or hip hop...

It would be interesting to do some exploring into this. Getting over the flow issues seems easy. Just upgrade the injectors and pump, however, is our filter capable of handling enthanol at such high concentrations? I read that over 200°F that it has a reaction and turns to acetic acid. It was the only time I'd seen that but our system is returnless therefore that shouldn't pose a problem. This is supposedly what causes the corrosion on aluminum and carbon based materials which can possibly happen in the ports and cylinders when the vehicle is off. I guess ethanol reacts with standard rubber fuel lines but plenty of companies make material that can handle it. I guess water in the steel lines is the only way those should corrode. I'm a definite believer in E85 as it is a better fuel considering it burns cooler, cleaner, and has a much better octane. There are just some obstacles to overcome because our cars were designed before ethanol became such a big thing.
        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I don’t think you’d need to involve mssmapper if you’re using a sensor. The trick would be to adjust the fuel scalar based on what the sensor data is. If it’s a purely linear sensor it’s easy enough to just make a multiplier. If it’s not linear then you’d have to build a curve / map that generates a multiplier, also not crazy difficult.

As far as unused inputs, one of the MAF/MAP inputs would make the most sense to use.

Comment

After speaking with HTE Performance, I picked up a set of new Bosch 550cc injectors for $200. May initially tune for 93 and piggyback w APE X85 but I really like the idea of MSSMapper. Will have to speak to them to see if they have any experience with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nihilation View Post
              After speaking with HTE Performance, I picked up a set of new Bosch 550cc injectors for $200. May initially tune for 93 and piggyback w APE X85 but I really like the idea of MSSMapper. Will have to speak to them to see if they have any experience with it.
              Where did you get the injectors from?

Comment

I think that was my thread. I had a different name on the last forum.
                I ended up scratching the MSSmapper idea because I didn't know how the program worked exactly (not much info online) and after a few emails with no responses I gave up and moved on.

Comment

I've been running the APE plug and play setup from Buildjournal with their off the shelf tune for a few months. No issue. I hate putting regular 91 in my car. I stay around e60ish and the car runs so much crisper and lots more midrange at about that blend. Plus without the cats it doesn't smell like a 72 ford truck anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Nihilation View Post
                    550cc is perfect for a S/C or E85, or both. That was a good choice. They'll never run above 80% duty cycle unless N/A even if you ran pure ethanol.

Comment

Just sharing my recent experience with E85 and few additional tunes added to mss mapper on steering wheel,

Map 0 - 93 Pump Gas Only No Nitrous or Meth <<--------- baseline dyno below,
                      Map 1 - 93 pump Gas and Meth Only
                      Map 2 - 93 Pump Gas and Nitrous Only
                      Map 3 - E50 Mix (50% 93 and 50% E85) No Nitrous or Meth <<----------- dyno below,
                      Map 4 - E85 Full (No 93 at all) No Nitrous or Meth

Hoping that with map 4, will go slight high north of 503 rwhp

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	269.5 KB ID:	111792

Comment

Originally posted by gixxer View Post
                        Just sharing my recent experience with E85 and few additional tunes added to mss mapper on steering wheel,

Map 0 - 93 Pump Gas Only No Nitrous or Meth <<--------- baseline dyno below,
                        Map 1 - 93 pump Gas and Meth Only
                        Map 2 - 93 Pump Gas and Nitrous Only
                        Map 3 - E50 Mix (50% 93 and 50% E85) No Nitrous or Meth <<----------- dyno below,
                        Map 4 - E85 Full (No 93 at all) No Nitrous or Meth

Hoping that with map 4, will go slight high north of 503 rwhp

What's your set up?

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

What's your set up?
                          The car has the old active autowerke's gen 3/level 2 setup from 2011. Add to that,

Snowperf water/meth/controller with MSD Digital RPM Window Switch
                          Okada Plasma Direct
                          Nitrous Express EFI Kit (50 wet shot, single nozzle)

This week decided to take plunge to E85.

The E85 setup has following hardware's,

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	8.8 KB ID:	111919

Had to upgrade the fuel pump fuse from 20A to 30A.
                          Last edited by gixxer; 06-24-2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Good numbers, how much boost?
                            Last edited by enjoy_m3; 06-24-2021, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
                              Good numbers, how much boost?
                              9 psi

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                                …if a flex fuel sensor can output a 5v signal, it wouldn’t be difficult to repurpose an unused input…
                                Specifically how would I go about wiring this?

Comment

Working...
                                X