Supersprint Stepped vs stock Euro header Evolve review/dyno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supersprint Stepped vs stock Euro header Evolve review/dyno

Nothing earth shattering here, and likely posted elsewhere, but hopefully this will be easily searchable for someone in the future.

This is a nice A/B test with the one small
    exception that that they didn’t run full rpm with the euro headers due to it being an E36/7 MCoupe. Nice to see they kept the euro cats as it kept the test that bit more scientific.

As ever, the SS stepped are worth about 10+ whp/wtq (correction, this video is engine bhp, not whp, so maybe a bit less?) throughout the range over the euro units. Pretty impressive, really.

Last edited by tlow98; 11-20-2022, 07:03 PM.

Yeah, the interesting runs are 1 and 2 as that is a direct comparison without the tune and at standard max RPM. The 10 horsepower gain is about right, but the delta torque gain throughout the low to mid RPM is really surprising.

Comment

Coming from the Honda world, I'm not surprised in the least. We figured out long ago that all the power is made before the collector. I'm actually surprised a large tube stepped header didn't make more power. Just shows you how good the factory stuff is.
      2004 Dinan S3-R M3
      2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
        Coming from the Honda world, I'm not surprised in the least. We figured out long ago that all the power is made before the collector. I'm actually surprised a large tube stepped header didn't make more power. Just shows you how good the factory stuff is.
        I believe this is more akin to the V2 stepped headers, so technically, it’s not the large tube version. I’d expect the V1 to make more power based on the general information that’s out there. The one caveat being the section one is then altered so it’s not possible to make that 1:1 comparison. Thanks to Bry5on for pointing that out.

Unless I’m missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
          If you are looking for more power over the Euro exhaust, you want SS V1 not the V2. In the case of the V1, top end power is made after the collector where each outlet diameter increases to 2.5" over the factory 2.36".

Comment

Does anyone here think the difference in the wheels contributes to these numbers?

I don't know which ones were lighter or heavier, but I can clearly see they are different. And given all the fuss about lightweight wheels and unsprung weight at what are here the measuring points, I figured it's a question worth asking.

I also wonder how much of that is just the tune, but they seem to have isolated that. I'm not clear how though, as what this seems to tell me is the stock ECU can adjust to what would be a 3% gain (most ECU's of this vintage can adjust up to 7%).

maw

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

If you are looking for more power over the Euro exhaust, you want SS V1 not the V2. In the case of the V1, top end power is made after the collector where each outlet diameter increases to 2.5" over the factory 2.36".
              The V2 is still an upgrade, as is even the non-stepped "tubulare" long tube header from SS which was, before stepped products emerged, the only upgrade for euro and csl guys.

I'd still advocate for ssv1s ofc.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                Does anyone here think the difference in the wheels contributes to these numbers?

I don't know which ones were lighter or heavier, but I can clearly see they are different. And given all the fuss about lightweight wheels and unsprung weight at what are here the measuring points, I figured it's a question worth asking.

I also wonder how much of that is just the tune, but they seem to have isolated that. I'm not clear how though, as what this seems to tell me is the stock ECU can adjust to what would be a 3% gain (most ECU's of this vintage can adjust up to 7%).

maw
                Good point. Take all these "data" points with plenty of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

The V2 is still an upgrade, as is even the non-stepped "tubulare" long tube header from SS which was, before stepped products emerged, the only upgrade for euro and csl guys.

I'd still advocate for ssv1s ofc.
                  In terms of cost, the V2 and standard manifold is not an upgrade worth having over the Euro on a car that can fit V1s.

Comment

Well, now you're adding conditions. Never said anything of cost. If cost is the issue, don't mod. These cars are expensive enough to maintain well as it is.

Comment

I'm late to this, so please excuse any inefficiency in this question. But are the SS headers just a bit larger diameter / thinner wall to increase air flow volume? So while they may be lighter and flow a bit more air, the obvious tradeoffs are longevity and heat dispersion?

I'm just wondering if I'm thinking about this correctly.

maw

Comment

V1s and V2s "step" up to larger diameters before the merge. After the merge, v1s stay larger through the outlets to sect 1 (2.5") thus requiring the matching 2.5" sect 1. V2s go back down to the typical 55mm outlets like all other headers basically to meet all other sect 1s including stock and euros.

Gauge of the steel doesn't change. CSL headers (and euros after 2005) ARE slightly thinner (as well as CSL sect 2 & 3). Cheaper knock off of SS long tube headers and knock offs of euros (AA/Megan) are slightly thicker gauge which impacts sound imo, maybe performance a touch.
                        Last edited by Tbonem3; 11-21-2022, 10:49 AM.

Comment

TL;DR:

You ain't shit unless you got V1s.

LOL
                          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                          2005 BMW ///M3
                          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                            TL;DR:
                            You ain't shit unless you got V1s.
                            Or “if you’re going to change from OE at all, only SS V1 makes any sense whatsoever.”

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

maw
                              good catch. I missed this!

Comment

Working...
                              X