Supersprint Stepped vs stock Euro header Evolve review/dyno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

Or “if you’re going to change from OE at all, only SS V1 makes any sense whatsoever.”

maw
    That's most certainly not correct.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Was the baseline tuned ?

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
        Was the baseline tuned ?
        Doesn't seem like it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Yeah not a fan of wheel "tune" added as a variable. Should still add to the dyno thread. 🤣

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            That's most certainly not correct.
            It could be. I can't see doing the work to install anything else TBH. But as of yet I'm not sold on headers as an idea at all on this car in my ownership, so there's that.

maw

Comment

I see. So it was your opinion, based on your mechanical skillset? The way people write, myself included I'm sure, makes things look like pronouncements/factual statements.

Spending $400 and half a day installing Megan headers, and doing a $400 canned Hassan tune will give you about 30hp over stock. Pretty damn "worth it," but that's my opinion.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I should have said "paying for the work to install"... I don't wrench. So if I'm doing headers, I'm doing only the best available, which seems like the SS V1 from all I've read, but that cost just doesn't justify the benefit for me. I'm sure that calculus is as varied as peoples' fingerprints.

And it's not the labor part of that equation I care about.

It has to be an improvement over stock, in every way not just horsepower, and enough of an improvement to justify the cost.

maw
                Last edited by maw1124; 11-21-2022, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                  It has to be an improvement over stock, in every way not just horsepower, and enough of an improvement to justify the cost.

maw
                  What other improvements do you fancy from a header? And if it's not the highest horsepower, then maybe V1 is not the best for you, and that's ok. Then the cost of the header can come down too to meet your improvement to cost ratio.

Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Right now, cams, headers, tune and exhaust, sway bars maybe 3:91 -- just don't want it to be the most expensive headache known to man. Already have tunes and sway bars are simple. The rest requires some real thought to stave off regret.

BTW, I've used Megan Racing products on other cars so I'm not as dismissive of them as some others. But I can't see the M3 headers for sale anymore (similar to how Borla exhausts just disappeared from the planet all of a sudden), making my job easier in some sense.

maw
                    Last edited by maw1124; 11-21-2022, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I have the Megan headers. They are swaintech coated, not sure that makes a difference. I made 317whp on a dynojet with the Megans, BW exhaust, Injen intake and a canned tune...I think it was an Evolve tune. I have a PCS tune now. Do it once so if you're getting cams and all of the other bolt on stuff, might as well get the SSV1s.

Just from looking at Dynos, I think SS V1s add a good amount of power. You get more when you install cams, CSL intake, and even bored ITBs. I remember seeing someone port matching the intake and exhaust ports. stash1 can tell you more and add a lot more data and knowledge on this than me.

Comment

It’s pretty rare to see scientific tests on this stuff

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                          I have the Megan headers. They are swaintech coated, not sure that makes a difference. I made 317whp on a dynojet with the Megans, BW exhaust, Injen intake and a canned tune...I think it was an Evolve tune. I have a PCS tune now. Do it once so if you're getting cams and all of the other bolt on stuff, might as well get the SSV1s.

Just from looking at Dynos, I think SS V1s add a good amount of power. You get more when you install cams, CSL intake, and even bored ITBs. I remember seeing someone port matching the intake and exhaust ports. stash1 can tell you more and add a lot more data and knowledge on this than me.
                          I'm Schrick 288/280'd with a built head, Dinan ITBs and a CSL intake. With the SSV1's I dropped no where. Car is much easier to drive on the street and actually is quiet at low rpms but screams up top.

I have had JVT headers on my car for 8 years. The SSV1's are worth their price even though it is money and the car is still "slow" lol
                          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                          2005 BMW ///M3
                          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

I do miss my euro headers/sec. 1 for the sound honesty vs. the V1's. Sure as shit wish I wouldn't have sold that stuff off.

I also wish I would have stopped chasing power and spent more on others mods because one can do every single NA mod and these cars are still pretty slow as Sharocks was saying.

That said I'll likely still chase more NA power on the car, just because.
                            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                            Instagram

Comment

I'd like to see a comparison with the ARH headers. I've been strongly considering them for the sound alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

I'm Schrick 288/280'd with a built head, Dinan ITBs and a CSL intake. With the SSV1's I dropped no where. Car is much easier to drive on the street and actually is quiet at low rpms but screams up top.

I have had JVT headers on my car for 8 years. The SSV1's are worth their price even though it is money and the car is still "slow" lol
                                Slow compared to what though? At my mod level 92s unless supercharged are getting walked. But granted i care more about track performance.

Slow is definitely relative, can't wait for cams and etc, my body is ready.
                                2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT
                                M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/CatCams 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Working...
                                X