Supersprint Stepped vs stock Euro header Evolve review/dyno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stephen View Post
    I'd like to see a comparison with the ARH headers. I've been strongly considering them for the sound alone.
    Browse the dyno thread which should be stickied.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
      I do miss my euro headers/sec. 1 for the sound honesty vs. the V1's. Sure as shit wish I wouldn't have sold that stuff off.

I also wish I would have stopped chasing power and spent more on others mods because one can do every single NA mod and these cars are still pretty slow as Sharocks was saying.

That said I'll likely still chase more NA power on the car, just because.
      Curious to know how do the Euro headers / section 1 sound differently versus the SS V1 headers. Thanks.
      Last edited by nyc951; 08-11-2023, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I've written it many times before, probably more succinctly in the past, but I'll give it another go...

Subjective ofc, but for me, euros made a certain "whail" that gave me goosebumps. Very "motorsport" sounding. A touch of drone ond hiss that made it sound better IMO, even though we usually say drone is a bad thing. Gave it a bit of a hollow resonance that gave me the feels - I don't know how else to explain it. Long tube headers (which most aftermarket catless headers are copies of) have a different sound. Not worse necessarily, but not better to me. The SSv1s seem to be in the middle for some reason. The typical 55mm long tube header sounds duller to me, smoother and less raspy, which also means less manic/less exciting IMO. I will say, at high RPM, the long tube headers do scream. There's an old youtbue video of an alpine white with ss long tubes (tubulare) and catless sect 1 (maybe stock) with the SS X pipe in sect 2 with SS race iirc, and it's not very good sounding below 5k, but afterwards holy shit.

Overall though, I think the best souding setup is CSL headers and csl catted sect 1 with CSL sect 2 and CSL sect 3 with the thinner metal. There's a buildup of sound around 3500RPM with euros that gives me chills, but it doesn't scream that much up top .

The important distinction or qualifier when talking sound is - location of the listener. Are we talking about your impression fro the driver seat or a bystander's perspective on the side of the road as you go by?

In my experiences, the best sounding setup for me in the cockpit (raspy, droney midpipe, induction/engine, low overall volume due to larger section 3) is not a great sound from the outside. And the best sound from the outside (low rasp, more volume), ruins the inductions and engine noise for the driver.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          There's an old youtbue video of an alpine white with ss long tubes (tubulare) and catless sect 1 (maybe stock) with the SS X pipe in sect 2 with SS race iirc, and it's not very good sounding below 5k, but afterwards holy shit.
          This is where I'm at right now.

I'm currently running V1 headers, and Supersprints 63.5mm straight sections 1&2, with a Dinan muffler. Below 4 grand there's quite a decent bit of rasp, but from 4 to 8 grand it sounds like an F1 car.

I'm going to try running the resonated section 1 and see how it sounds, I'm hoping it doesn't mute it too much.
          2004 Dinan S3-R M3
          2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

I'm running full V1, HJS catted Section 1, dual pipe resonated S2 and Race S3. Hassan tune. I think it sounds great, and there is some drone, but it's not that bad. I would not want to have cat-less and/or non-resonated S2 after reading what others say. Maybe, just maybe, sometimes I would like to experience my setup with a Sport S3? I dunno.

Comment

ARH 6 to 1, HHR section 1, BW 3.5 race exhaust... nothing is better 3.5" from the header back. dat exhaust 1.webp

Comment

Originally posted by 332 View Post
                ARH 6 to 1, HHR section 1, BW 3.5 race exhaust... nothing is better 3.5" from the header back. dat exhaust 1.webp
                You have an exhaust vid?

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
                  I'm running full V1, HJS catted Section 1, dual pipe resonated S2 and Race S3. Hassan tune. I think it sounds great, and there is some drone, but it's not that bad. I would not want to have cat-less and/or non-resonated S2 after reading what others say. Maybe, just maybe, sometimes I would like to experience my setup with a Sport S3? I dunno.
                  I hated my catted SS V1 setup with Race muffler. My favorite setup was AP headers, stock (catless) midpipes, and SS Race muffler, and with the V1 headers and midpipes it didn’t sound even close to as good as my old catless setup.

I’m much happier with my SS Sport muffler now because it’s much quieter and less drone, and combined with the CSL airbox, the car sounds insane.
                  Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                  Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post

Slow compared to what though? At my mod level 92s unless supercharged are getting walked. But granted i care more about track performance.

Slow is definitely relative, can't wait for cams and etc, my body is ready.
                    A mildly modded E92 (doensn't need to be supercharged) will still walk a heavily modded NA E46. Both cars are considered "slow" today anyways so it's a moot point.

Comment

Originally posted by e46IX View Post
                      A mildly modded E92 will still walk a heavily modded NA E46

2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                      2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post

On a road course - an E9X M3 is easily about 2 seconds faster per lap. More on a high speed course. When I tracked my E90 M3, the only E46's that were faster were racecars with aero. I will destroy just about any streetable E46 without aero in my E90.

Comment

Dang too bad you're in TX. Would be a fun challenge. 😁

There's an e90 m3 in bimmerchallenge who won his class at buttonwillow here in California with stoptech trophys, 285 tires, mcs 1way coilovers and full spl Arms. My m3 has stock arms, 265s, 3.91, stock power with cats, stock brakes with endless pads, no sunroof, ohlins and I'm 2 sec off his pb. I'm sure I can get close with a tune,exhaust and intake. Not sure if that's considered getting destroyed. Lol
                          Last edited by enjoy_m3; 12-22-2023, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I tried looking in the dyno thread but couldn't find it. I'm wondering the difference between stock and SS V1 headers with SS cat section and tune. I'm interesting in knowing the difference in torque (any improvement and if so approximately what RPM range) and power gains (again, how much and where in the power band). If anyone has this data I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by BMWE46M3 View Post
                              I tried looking in the dyno thread but couldn't find it. I'm wondering the difference between stock and SS V1 headers with SS cat section and tune. I'm interesting in knowing the difference in torque (any improvement and if so approximately what RPM range) and power gains (again, how much and where in the power band). If anyone has this data I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks...
                              Pretty sure there's more power everywhere with SSv1 + section 1 and tune. I'd guess like 30+ whp midrange-top end. Stock US headers are absolute trash.
                              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post

This is where I'm at right now.

I'm currently running V1 headers, and Supersprints 63.5mm straight sections 1&2, with a Dinan muffler. Below 4 grand there's quite a decent bit of rasp, but from 4 to 8 grand it sounds like an F1 car.

I'm going to try running the resonated section 1 and see how it sounds, I'm hoping it doesn't mute it too much.
                                Any video of this? Thinking of a Dinan Section 3 to mate with SSv1, SS HJS Section 1, SS Non-Resonated Section 2 (currently running Eisenmann Race and want to shoot myself with the low-end drone).

David

Comment

Working...
                                X