Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fix Your Rear Deck Lid/Parcel Shelf Rattle DIY (Tennis Ball Mod)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fix Your Rear Deck Lid/Parcel Shelf Rattle DIY (Tennis Ball Mod)

This has been gone over before in previous forums, but I decided to make a new DIY for those who may need the info on here. After age the rear deck lid/parcel shelf starts to rattle with the Harman Kardon subwoofer when songs with moderate to strong bass are played (sometimes even minimal). There are many ways to fix this, but I used the tennis ball method. Hopefully this helps someone finally get rid of that annoying rattle.

Here is a picture of the Harman Kardon sub, it is located in the trunk, under the deck lid.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1813.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	150.5 KB ID:	19445

The tools you need are a 8mm socket, an appropriate ratchet, a trim removal tool or a flat head screw driver, and of course tennis balls.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1812.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	104.8 KB ID:	19446

There are 4 black screws and 2 white clips which hold the subwoofer in place. Note that there are no screws holding the rear of the subwoofer. I have already removed the screws out of the front side in the picture below.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1817.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	132.0 KB ID:	19447

Left side:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1814.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	19448

Right side:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1815.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	113.1 KB ID:	19450

After removing the 4 screws, you need to pop out the white tabs on the front, I used the trim removal tool to pry them off.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1818.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	19451

After this your subwoofer should fall down, be careful not to strain the wires that are connected. You can see the white clips more visibly now.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1819.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	158.1 KB ID:	19452

You can choose to either disconnect the plug at the sub to clean out the subwoofer itself or place it on something that doesn't strain the wires.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1820.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	128.1 KB ID:	19453

If you look up now you'll see the two holes and also be able to feel the underside of the deck lid.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1821.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	122.9 KB ID:	19454
    Feel around for the deck lid and wedge the tennis balls in to prevent rattle, make sure to take a look from the interior of the car to make sure the parcel shelf/deck lid has not popped up.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1822.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	136.4 KB ID:	19455

The re installation is everything but backwards, make sure to insert the two tabs facing the rear seats into their appropriate slots to get correct fitment.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1823.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	187.4 KB ID:	19456

As stated before, the reinstallation is pretty straightforward. I hope this helps or maybe informs someone how to remove the sub for other purposes.
    Last edited by Deen HK; 04-30-2020, 11:56 PM.
    11 E90 M3 Alpine White
    96 FJ80 Black
    05 E46 M3 Carbon Black: (sold)
    86 Porsche 944 Turbo Guards Red, 320 whp: (sold)
    89 E30 Touring Alpine White, S52 swapped: (sold)
    02 E46 M3 Steel Grey: (sold)

Going on 11 years with tennis balls stuffed up there 😃
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Just me or pics not working?
      Edit: fixed now
      Last edited by BMWahba; 05-01-2020, 04:45 AM.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
      2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

I have the same craftsman toolkit from the early 2000's. LOL great investment. I'll be doing this when update my system.

Comment

Not to hijack the thread but out of genuine curiosity - was there ever any sort of reasonable DIY put together for later model cars? Obviously tennis balls did nothing for my Sept 2004 production date coupe.
          E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

wat?

Comment

Originally posted by m3nt0s View Post
              Not to hijack the thread but out of genuine curiosity - was there ever any sort of reasonable DIY put together for later model cars? Obviously tennis balls did nothing for my Sept 2004 production date coupe.
              I read a while back that on later model cars people go from the top, and pop the rear speakers out and stuff rags/cloth/tennis balls in the center off the rear shelf. Not sure how accurate that is though and if it will work. I didn't know the LCI version had a different trunk/sub setup compared to the older model ones
              Last edited by Deen HK; 05-14-2020, 11:42 AM.
              11 E90 M3 Alpine White
              96 FJ80 Black
              05 E46 M3 Carbon Black: (sold)
              86 Porsche 944 Turbo Guards Red, 320 whp: (sold)
              89 E30 Touring Alpine White, S52 swapped: (sold)
              02 E46 M3 Steel Grey: (sold)

Comment

Apparently, it's obvious.

Comment

I know this is a popular thing, but am I the only one that never had that rattle?

Comment

Originally posted by kokgo20 View Post
                    I know this is a popular thing, but am I the only one that never had that rattle?
                    *knock on wood* I've never had rattles either

Comment

Originally posted by kokgo20 View Post
                      Yeah my car doesn't do it either.
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I stuffed six of 'em in there and I still get a subdued rattle, which disappears when the weather gets above 60 deg F.
                        The added weight high up is sapping my S54 power and has a negative impact on the handling.

Comment

I just did this and it worked like a charm! Some notes:
                          -I have a 2003.5 without HK so there was no sub to remove and subsequently no massive holes where the sub mounts
                          -I shoved tennis balls in the oval holes nearer to the front of the car and then pushed them towards the rear once in
                          -Had to make some serious gauges in the balls so that they would deform enough to fit

Comment

Don’t you suppose to cut balls in halves?

Comment

Originally posted by FBloggs View Post
                              I stuffed six of 'em in there and I still get a subdued rattle, which disappears when the weather gets above 60 deg F.
                              The added weight high up is sapping my S54 power and has a negative impact on the handling.
                              You have to get the carbon fiber balls. You need less weight that high. It'll completely negate your CF roof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	c146b8699c49331d8ce7e34f21f3f974_original.jpg
Views:	2036
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	110771
                              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                              X