175,000-Mile Maintenance Items/Tasks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Will View Post

Interested in hearing your experience with them! Which shop is this?
    I'll post it here for you once I try them out and get some miles on the rebuild, I don't want to steer anyone the wrong way if they don't end up working correctly.

I also did find out that Insane Shafts makes upgraded 500 whp and 1000 whp axles for E46 M3's, and they're in OC as well. There's a place on ebay selling them for $840. With the warranty and being local, might be a no brainer for anyone that wants a warrantied axle that can handle a large amount of power if necessary.
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

I found a good spot in Orange County that rebuilds the OEM axles same day for $280. Next week when I do my big install, I'll be swapping my new diff in and taking out the old axles for a rebuild and install new rear wheel bearings.
      Knowing what I know now, $280 and same day service is a Christmas miracle, Charlie Brown. If the place checks out, worth every penny!!
      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Knowing what I know now, $280 and same day service is a Christmas miracle, Charlie Brown. If the place checks out, worth every penny!!
        Yeah seems like a steal, it's an axle and diff specialized shop so we will see how it turns out. Also, apparently it's warrantied as well.
        Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Isn't the answer to OP "inspection II?"

Comment

Unless you know that it's been done...
            VANOS lockdowns
            evaluate subframe mount points. Replace/reenforce as needed.
            rod bearings
            Cooling system
            belt drive system
            every bushing/ball joint
            all drivetrain mounts
            shocks
            all fluids in the car
            spark plugs
            pre cat 02 sensors
            MAF

... were it me, I'd do the cam position and throttle position sensors while I was at it, just to not be annoyed with the car when one of them fails after all that work.

By 175,000 miles, every wear item that hasn't been replaced at least once is due for replacement. I'd use OE or OEM for everything above, other than the vanos and subframe lockdowns.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Well you were right, cam position sensor went bad on me, and finally did it today. But then I had a fuel leak and no start so, I’m trying to fix that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                Unless you know that it's been done...

rod bearings
                Cooling system
                belt drive system
                every bushing/ball joint
                all drivetrain mounts
                So just nut & bolt reto bro... 🤣

very sensible advice from everyone one. Have a look and assess. Maybe you can live with a seepy diff for a 3 year weekend car? No going to break it. Etc...

That being said I would love to drive a 20,000km one to see what new feels like.

Comment

Working...
                X