Recommendations for Torque Angle Wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for Torque Angle Wrench

About to get into refreshing the S54 for my M3 Wagon build - I'm looking for some recommendations for good torque angle wrench that I can use for my rod bearing replacement.

Looking at the 1/2" Gearwrench with angle on Amazon

I searched around on FB and Craigslist to see if I can fin a used Snap-on, but nothing in the area.

Thx
    '01 M3, JB/IR, SS, TCK DA, Apex, TMS CSL, HTE, 4:10 gears - original owner
    '00 slicktop Touring converting to full M3 Touring

I know it’s Harbor Freight, but I recently picked this up with a 25% of friends/family coupon:

It tested well in the review or two I saw of it. There’s a New Year 25% off coupon that’s active right now.

Comment

Is 100 Ft-Lbs capability enough to do the rod bolts as well as the other suspension torque to yield fasteners? I am thinking I'd need to bump up to the 1/2" drive

Comment

For suspension you probably want the 1/2” drive. With the Quinn you don’t get the flex head, which for things like the timing chain tensioner would be great.

Comment

Personally I did not trust the precision of the cheaper electronic torque angle gauges so I went with a manual one. It ended up working great. Very repeatable, easy to use, no doubts about whether the angle is being measured properly.

If I was doing this job on a regular basis I would look at one of the nicer electronic 1/2" drive ones from CDI or something.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Check out this thread, lots of good info and member's experiences / preferences (link)

I used a 3/8" techangle 5-100ft/lb and it was sufficient for rod bearings.
            Last edited by Will; 12-31-2022, 12:01 PM. Reason: words and grammar.

Comment

I've got Precision Instruments 1/2" & 3/8" split beam torque wrenched for regular stuff and really happy with them. Also a 3/8" AC Delco digital for anything with low torque values. I'll troll FB Marketplace and Ebay for a Snap-
              on Techangle. Thx for the input on the 3/8" - I guess with low 2nd torque step then jumping to angle the 1/2" drive capability is overkill

Comment

I scored a Snap-On 1/2” one in 2020 for 200$ on an eBay auction, according to the paperwork that came with it, it was only 2-3 months old at the time, so quite a weird deal, but regardless, it is possible to find them significantly under retail.
                I have seen plenty around the 300$ mark the past few years. It is the only Snap-On tool I have, but a very good one for sure. Would recommend it to anyone.
                E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
                E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
                E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Went with the Kobalt 3/8 which had great reviews and had it calibrated by the snap on guy who runs around our business park with a machine on his truck. Said it was pretty much spot on fwiw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CP...b_b_asin_title

Granted it was $100 at the time instead of $150 now, which may change the economics a bit. In my rudimentary tests it seems very accurate as long as you don't adjust your angle relative to the axis of rotation. Eg. If your breaker bar has a swivel head and the lever is 45° from the axis, keep it there through the whole rotation, or it will throw off the device's reading.

Comment

I bought a brown line metalworks digital angle gauge to do mine. It is magnetic and can be stuck on any torque wrench or breaker bar.

Was cheaper for me then purchasing a dedicated angle torque wrench since I already had my own torque wrenches, or can borrow them.

Not exactly what your after, but an option.

Comment

So decided to jump on the HF 25% off New Years sale and buy the ICON 1/2" Torque Angle wrench. Lifetime Guarantee and I watched a YouTube (so it must be true) comparison of the Snap-On vs the ICON. Test was out of the box accuracy of both wrenches at 50, 100 & 150 Ft-Lbs as well as repeat after 1,000 cycles to 100 Ft-Lbs. The ICON they tested was the same or better than the Snap-On. Angle measurements of both were also identical. The reviewer expected the Snap-On to test better across the board and stated his surprise.

Comment

My Tekton 1/2" has been acting up lately. They have a lifetime warranty, but it had me looking more closely at that Icon wrench. Looks pretty slick! That wasn't out when I did my rod bearings, curious to hear how it works out for you!

Comment

Originally posted by 01M3Fan View Post
                            So decided to jump on the HF 25% off New Years sale and buy the ICON 1/2" Torque Angle wrench. Lifetime Guarantee and I watched a YouTube (so it must be true) comparison of the Snap-On vs the ICON. Test was out of the box accuracy of both wrenches at 50, 100 & 150 Ft-Lbs as well as repeat after 1,000 cycles to 100 Ft-Lbs. The ICON they tested was the same or better than the Snap-On. Angle measurements of both were also identical. The reviewer expected the Snap-On to test better across the board and stated his surprise.
                            Snap-On is the standard for a reason. Not only accuracy, but durability. My old man's stuff from the 80s, used professionally every day for decades, is still good. Ratchets, torque wrenches, and everything else. They also have a lifetime warranty for the original customer anyway.

I would like to see how the Icon performs after it is dropped a few times, and after many years of use. Google says standard recalibration interval is 5,000 cycles, so the lifetime of the wrench could be tens of thousands. 1,000 is not proving much. Of course, for your average DIYer, Icon is fine. But the difference in build quality is palpable.

Comment

I’ve been wrenching on a Jeep lately - once I get that sorted, I’ll get cracking on the S54 refresh and I’ll put the Icon to work and will report back. It also has lifetime warranty, so hopefully will get the job done for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X