No announcement yet.

Recommendations for Torque Angle Wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love my Precision Instruments split-beam torque wrenches, made in the US, certified, and can leave them on any setting.

Comment

Yeah - me too, really enjoying them
      '01 M3, JB/IR, SS, TCK DA, Apex, TMS CSL, HTE, 4:10 gears - original owner
      '00 slicktop Touring converting to full M3 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
        Personally I did not trust the precision of the cheaper electronic torque angle gauges so I went with a manual one. It ended up working great. Very repeatable, easy to use, no doubts about whether the angle is being measured properly.

If I was doing this job on a regular basis I would look at one of the nicer electronic 1/2" drive ones from CDI or something.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        Good poiint...Always remember there is spring back when doing an angle torque which a manual angle torque gauge will catch. IIRC it was about 3-4 degrees.

I use a 1/2", 3/8", and a 1/4" torque wrench. IMO a 3/8" torque wrench is ideal for rod bearings and most fasteners. A 3/8" torque wrench will typically provide enough leverage to get a fastener up to 100 ft/lbs with some effort but not so much that is makes it super easy to go well beyond the spec. It takes about 10 degrees to be 15%-25% over the target.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm bad about using a 1/2" torque wrench on lug nuts. The 3/8" makes it much harder to go over.​

Comment

Working...
        X