Part number ID needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

You will probably want to stick with epoxy. It will wet out the kevlar and self-level..should be a much better bond.
    you mean the first one i linked ( plastic weld epoxy​)? I did that one just yesterday and let it cure overnight with pressure keeping it against the carrier but it came right off the carrier this morning when I gave it a modest tug to test it out.
    2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post
      you mean the first one i linked ( plastic weld epoxy​)? I did that one just yesterday and let it cure overnight with pressure keeping it against the carrier but it came right off the carrier this morning when I gave it a modest tug to test it out.
      The issue with bonding is going to be cleanliness. That was probably the issue. Hence why I ended up using a rivet.

Comment

So far the adhesive in the 2nd link above is holding strong for me. Not conclusive evidence yet, but the previous plastic epoxy I used on another mount failed. So I redid both with this stuff. Scored the hell out of the mounts (60 grit sand paper), cleaned the bumper carrier (IPA), and press fit/propped the mounts/held in place with just the right height 2x4s overnight. Time will tell if they work.
        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

The issue with bonding is going to be cleanliness. That was probably the issue. Hence why I ended up using a rivet.
          not trying to be pedantic here but with the confusion between the two products, here, I used the epoxy, rather than the bonder, and the hold didn't last. so when you say "bonding" are you speaking specifically to the JB Weld Plastic Bond product, or both?
          2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

I landed on a fix as nobody seems to have the part and wants to sell the whole carrier. I ran to Ace and picked up some t-nuts, bolts, washers, and Gorilla Epoxy (favored brand). I ground the nuts to the height of the plastic spacing mount. First nut is holding well even after some tugging and torque - second is being redone as I didn't wait long enough for it to cure at this temperature. So far it's promising.

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post

not trying to be pedantic here but with the confusion between the two products, here, I used the epoxy, rather than the bonder, and the hold didn't last. so when you say "bonding" are you speaking specifically to the JB Weld Plastic Bond product, or both?
              Any bond. The issue you will have is the fabric in the reinforcement is dry and frays. Good luck getting it clean. When I do CF stuff, any dirt, grease or oil is detrimental to infusing the fabric. Also, unless you are removing the carrier, flipping it and clamping the parts then it likely won't hold.

Riveting can be done on the car.

Comment

Working...
              X