Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil leak / sometimes smells of burnt oil - Valve cover gasket? (SOLVED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After my Elring VCG leaked I replaced it with OE, but kept the grommets and tube seals from the kit and they've been fine.

Personally not something I would think too hard about, especially at that price. The VCG being a picky area makes sense given the tolerances to have it sit perfectly flush and achieve the right compression on the ridges for a proper seal, but the other areas seem like they would be more forgiving.
    '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
    All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Thanks guys, ordered up a new VCG and will reuse the other parts.

Comment

Ugh, I'm ordering a new VCG kit because I'm having the Vanos replaced and I just went down this Genuine vs Elring VCG rabbit hole. It turns out that I had an Elring VCG installed in 2020 and it was leaking and burning oil by 2022. No wonder! I guess this time i'm dropping $400+ on Genuine gaskets 🤦‍♂️

Comment

Originally posted by YoungDinosaur View Post
          Ugh, I'm ordering a new VCG kit because I'm having the Vanos replaced and I just went down this Genuine vs Elring VCG rabbit hole. It turns out that I had an Elring VCG installed in 2020 and it was leaking and burning oil by 2022. No wonder! I guess this time i'm dropping $400+ on Genuine gaskets 🤦‍♂️
          Only one you need genuine is the VCG itself. The other seals don't need to be genuine.

Comment

Really? OK that would save quite a bit of money. The Elring Vanos gasket is ok?

Comment

Originally posted by YoungDinosaur View Post
              Really? OK that would save quite a bit of money. The Elring Vanos gasket is ok?
              In my experience yes. Any decent brand for the other gaskets should be fine.

Comment

Yep - only had issues with the elring vcg. Others seem fine.

Comment

Wow, keeping the VCG genuine BMW and changing the other gaskets/seals to OE/OEM dropped the price to $120. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X