StopTech (the company) problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StopTech (the company) problems.

StopTech (and parent company Centric Parts) were acquired by First Brands Group and then "broken" following a series of changes. They moved their shipping warehouse 475 miles north to Patterson, California to consolidate with other First Brands companies. They let go all the City of Industry warehouse employees, some with decades of brake experience. They switched to an Oracle-based backend software system, but botched the transition. And they forced StopTech and Centric to switch suppliers to First Brands-owned facilities that didn't even have the tooling or experience to make the needed parts.

Bottom line, StopTech has been shipping nearly nothing since May and the new owners have been gradually discontinuing product lines from StopTech and Centric, such as OEM replacement floating rotor kits, OEM caliper pistons, chassis components (bushings, end lines, tie rods, bearings, etc.). Because of the inability to manufacture new parts, the fill rate for orders has dropped to near zero, For example, almost ALL caliper rebuild components are backordered. Every size of AeroRotor has been backordered for months and they are not expected until the end of November, although that will probably slip.

... At best, if parts are already sitting on the shelf in Compton, it will still take months to get them. But more likely, the parts would have to be manufactured and in that case, you may never see them....​

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

In before 50% off BBK kits.
    2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
    2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
    2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
      In before 50% off BBK kits.
      Sounds like even if you COULD order them, you might never get them. Bummer.
      E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

Sounds like even if you COULD order them, you might never get them. Bummer.
        True but you never know what's already sitting on the shelf somewhere and needs to go !
        2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
        2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
        2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Hopefully they make it through. PE companies are notorious for Fn shit up in the name of profit. I remember when BavSound went through their thing, but there was no PE investor involved there. Contrast to Fifteen52 Wheels, which is all but nothing after taking PE investment.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
            Hopefully they make it through. PE companies are notorious for Fn shit up in the name of profit. I remember when BavSound went through their thing, but there was no PE investor involved there. Contrast to Fifteen52 Wheels, which is all but nothing after taking PE investment.

maw
            It seems the be the only external exit strategy to any business in this industry - very few strategic acquisitions between brands AFAIK; Brembo and AP? Remus and Sebring? AST bought Moton back in the days too and it wasn't too smooth.

Comment

Whatever happened to just running the business at a profit and being happy?

Jokes. I absolutely get it. I just wish people didn't try to run a business from a spreadsheet. These kids...

But it's also a "get 'em while you can" situation and "make sure they're going to be around" before you buy, which makes it tricky. Aside from Turner and a few others, most of these aftermarket folks aren't likely to be around when you need service down the road. So you have to be smart about what to buy, when. I'm pleasantly surprised Dynavin and BavSound are still around and thriving.

maw
              Last edited by maw1124; 02-25-2023, 04:50 PM.

Comment

that post was from October of 2022. would help to know where things stand today.
                '06 Carbon Black
                Sabelt, Brey Krause, MCS 2-way, SuperSprint, Karbonius, Epic, Volk

Comment

Good riddance
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Well then, that can’t be good…
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	1320
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	207389

Comment

Originally posted by MarcoPolo View Post
                      that post was from October of 2022. would help to know where things stand today.
                      It's the same today. Possibly worse. That unified warehouse has been a nightmare to get anything out of, let alone StopTech SKUs that aren't in stock to begin with.
                      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

They have started shipping SOME parts, but still as a whole the catalog is not being fulfilled.

I had a client with an older ST40 kit and we needed some replacement parts (Aug). I was basically told all of the above by my supplier, by Oct he had SOME parts available but not everything. At that point we decided to jump ship and go to an AP kit in case ST does go into oblivion... no regrets.

Edit* Side note, anyone want to buy an ST40 kit for an E36 M3, lol
                        '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                        Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                        Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

All set on piston knockback.

Team Brembo all the way.

Except for their rotors, that's a tragedy.
                          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                          2005 BMW ///M3
                          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Team Brembo, I'm glad I made that move! Wait time for my Brembo parts are mid-March from Race Technologies directly.

I heard about and actually sent out multiple inquiries regarding use on my Brembo calipers but ST Aero Rotors wait was pushed to march back in January and the rep had mentioned there was no end in sight as the dates have been progressively moved back. Lets see if they bounce back.

Comment

This is so sad to hear.

This is what happens when companies are sold and new owners think they can offload some of the production to companies who will charge less and expect same quality/turn-out time.
                              I've seen this happen so many times, people at the bottom just go with the flow and they end up working elsewhere.

I actually had interviewed to work there upon graduating high school and passed a 9 out of 10 questions test they give to all applicants. = P
                              >>> MY BUILD <<<

Comment

Working...
                              X