No announcement yet.

StopTech (the company) problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had their Trophy front (6 piston, 380mm) and rear kits in nickel finish on order for 14 months before giving up on realization that they weren't capable of fulfilling the order. It was too bad as it was $5500 all-in. Good price doesn't mean anything if there's nothing behind it - and there truly is nothing, after digging around myself and commiserating with the reseller.
    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

As one of the few Stoptech lovers in this forum…I’ll chime in here…🤣🤣🤣.

The only thing that really worries me is getting seals and dust boots. I can get everything else off the shelf or made at a relatively low cost.

Rotors, hats, pads, hardware are all off the shelf stuff. The studs on the caliper bracket and crossover tube would probably need to be made.

Comment

The seals and dust boots are the same as Brembo calipers. Plenty of options there. Same with the rings.
        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
          The seals and dust boots are the same as Brembo calipers. Plenty of options there. Same with the rings.
          Thx...wasn't sure. Too easy then!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Thx...wasn't sure. Too easy then!
            It'll be a nice upgrade, too-- in my experience, the brembo seals/dust boots last 5-10X longer than the stoptech ones.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
              As one of the few Stoptech lovers in this forum…I’ll chime in here…🤣🤣🤣.

The only thing that really worries me is getting seals and dust boots. I can get everything else off the shelf or made at a relatively low cost.

Rotors, hats, pads, hardware are all off the shelf stuff. The studs on the caliper bracket and crossover tube would probably need to be made.
              Unless you snap a bleeder screw in a caliper...
              '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
              Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
              Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Paging mrgizmo04 for his recent Stoptech/centric experience...
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

My recommendation for anyone struggling for supply of replacement parts is to contact a company like Pro Systems in Mooresville, NC. It's a specialty racing brakes supplier but repeatedly they've helped me with issues like this, they will do custom rotors, hats, you name it. They will also be able to source correct seals and pistons. I may end up going to them with my C43 Stoptech kit and having them make some rotors that will work with the kit since those seem to be a stock issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Apex_80 View Post
                    My recommendation for anyone struggling for supply of replacement parts is to contact a company like Pro Systems in Mooresville, NC. It's a specialty racing brakes supplier but repeatedly they've helped me with issues like this, they will do custom rotors, hats, you name it. They will also be able to source correct seals and pistons. I may end up going to them with my C43 Stoptech kit and having them make some rotors that will work with the kit since those seem to be a stock issue.
                    That is great advice.

IMO opinion there is a couple takeaways from this post and if you want to take my opinion as well.
                    1. You are not totally SOL if you already have an ST kit
                    2. Don't buy a used ST kit unless its a good deal and you know what you are potentially getting into.
                    3. Risk for ST parts going NLA soon might offset the cost savings if buying new vs AP, Brembo, etc
                    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by Apex_80 View Post
                      Where were you before I placed a $2K order for some Brembo hats?

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post

Where were you before I placed a $2K order for some Brembo hats?
                        You will not get custom hats for less than $2k. We would charge you more than twice that, and that's the number we throw out there for people we actually want to make hats for. One-offs are REALLY expensive because you can't amortize out all the time of designing, programming CNC, and QC of the final product. God forbid you have to scrap a part and start over...

I'm not aware of Pro-System doing hats or rings in such small quantities, but I could be wrong. As I mentioned earlier, the piston seals and dust boots are universally available.
                        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

You will not get custom hats for less than $2k. We would charge you more than twice that, and that's the number we throw out there for people we actually want to make hats for. One-offs are REALLY expensive because you can't amortize out all the time of designing, programming CNC, and QC of the final product. God forbid you have to scrap a part and start over...

I'm not aware of Pro-System doing hats or rings in such small quantities, but I could be wrong. As I mentioned earlier, the piston seals and dust boots are universally available.
                          That's good to know, I didn't send out any emails regarding custom made hats as the Brembo ones were available, although I had to do a lot of footwork to actually place the order. Race Technologies said that if I was having a shop install the parts then they wouldn't be able to sell it to me directly, but since this project is a DIY, I ordered directly through Brembo's US supplier. Wait time isn't a big deal as the lead time's don't really move back with Brembo apparently. While I was working with RT and waiting anyway I ended up getting new brackets and brake lines too.

Waiting for the Calipers to arrive so I can actually measure the pistons before ordering my rebuild kit, there's two sizes for the 6-piston front calipers, not sure if there's a difference between Monoblock and non. Where is a good place to order Brembo seals and dust boots, RacingBrakes?

Comment

I have used racing brake seals/boots with great results on multiple calipers (stoptech and oem porsche)

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
                              Where is a good place to order Brembo seals and dust boots, RacingBrakes?
                              HRP World has Brembo seals and boots for a reasonable price (relatively speaking).
                              GiroDisc has their own seals and boots which have worked well for me.

Comment

I've used Zeckhausen (https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24) in the past for StopTech parts. I actually have a pile of parts i've been meaning to use to rebuild a pair of ST40 calipers.
                                Last edited by zzyzx85; 02-28-2023, 08:49 AM.
                                "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                                ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Working...
                                X