Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless CarPlay and AA on stock MKIV nav screen, including touch screen support!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

​​Oooooo, certainly enticing - I have the OEM TV tuner with my backup cam patched into it via a relay and triggered by the reverse light. Is there a way we can make this work without needing internal mods to the tuner?

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	898.1 KB ID:	212262

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
      ​​Oooooo, certainly enticing - I have the OEM TV tuner with my backup cam patched into it via a relay and triggered by the reverse light. Is there a way we can make this work without needing internal mods to the tuner?

Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	898.1 KB ID:	212262
      For stereo sound via the auxiliary mode, I would need to redo the relay for the reverse camera. Or if you aren’t too bothered about stereo sound (left and right channel), then the carplay can be done onto the AV channel.

Either way, I would need to modify the tv tuner.

Comment

Baris - Carphonics can you confirm that ordering the stereo auxiliary package on your website includes the TV tuner hardware? I have the retrofit cable on the way, and want to make sure that I order the right things from you to make this work with a touch screen in my E39.

Comment

Need this as the oem nav has crapped out on me! great find.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
            Baris - Carphonics can you confirm that ordering the stereo auxiliary package on your website includes the TV tuner hardware? I have the retrofit cable on the way, and want to make sure that I order the right things from you to make this work with a touch screen in my E39.
            I'm not far behind you with installing this on my e39. Curious to know exactly what is needed for the install that isn't part of the stock pre installed wiring.
            2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

I took the plunge and ordered this today. I am going for touch screen without the idrive controller. I ordered the wire harness from eBay and Baris is getting me everything else. Will try to document the install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by sleeks; 04-12-2023, 05:37 PM.
              2004 Silver Grey - Manual - Slick top - Manual Cloth Seats

Comment

Originally posted by sleeks View Post
                I took the plunge and ordered this today. I am going for touch screen without the idrive controller. I ordered the wire harness from eBay and Baris is getting me everything else. Will try to document the install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                how much did all that set you back?

Comment

About $1100 plus the cable. Figured its worth a try. Wasn't looking forward to have AVIN or Dynavin in the car and I like the OEM look. I paid a little extra as my screen is super scratched up so he is souring a new display and making it touchscreen for me.
                  2004 Silver Grey - Manual - Slick top - Manual Cloth Seats

Comment

Sorry for delayed reply. I stopped getting email notifications.

The Auxiliary package just means the sound can come out of the AUX mode, for stereo sound. The other option means it will come out of the normal TV tuner audio out, which doesn’t have left and right audio signals. This is mainly for very old cars with older radios, which don’t have auxiliary capabilities.

Comment

Bump. anybody here get this working yet? I’m interested in feedback. My retrofit cable arrived from Europe but I have yet to pull the trigger on the rest.

Comment

Bump. anybody here get this working yet? I'm interested in feedback. My retrofit cable arrived from Europe but I have yet to pull the trigger on the rest.
                        Which cable was required that wasn't a part of the stock pre-wiring in US models? Can you share the part number?
                        2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by Baris - Carphonics View Post

If you don’t have the television option on the screen, then you would either:

1) add a tv tuner to your setup, by purchasing a retrofit loom, which connects to the navigation unit in the boot.

or

2) disconnecting the navigation unit in the boot, and connecting the tv tuner to it instead.

The mk3/mk4 navigation unit runs the monitor up front. It controls what comes on the display. So you would lose the main menu to the tv tuner main menu, which looks like the photo I attached.

But once your in carplay, it doesn’t matter so much.
                          Baris,

If I have mkiv nav on 7/03 production, I need tv tuner, tv tuner loom, and your kit? Do you sell everything as one package to install this with touchscreen functionality?

We never had tv tuner option in the US, it was euro only.
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

Which cable was required that wasn't a part of the stock pre-wiring in US models? Can you share the part number?
                            This is the specific one I bought, best price I could find. It arrived from Lithuania in about three weeks.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for OEM BMW 5 E39 TV Function Retrofit Cable Harness Set 61120144096 Genuine at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

It just allows for both the nav unit and TV tuner to be connected at once rather than just one or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post

In theory yeah, carplay would do everything music wise the BlueBus does.
                              Where the BlueBus comes in is all the other UI features, coolant temp, oil temp, etc.
                              Another advantage to using BlueBus would likely be audio quality. When I went from using the AUX input to using the BlueBus, there was a noticeable improvement in the quality of the sound. I assume it has to do with BlueBus using the CD input wiring into the head unit.

I’m intrigued by the potential for Apple CarPlay with touchscreen for my e46 M3, and even more for my Z4MC, but will need to learn more about the audio quality implications, or the method for integrating BlueBus AND this Carphonics product.

Edited to add: If you can get oil temp via BlueBus, please tell me how… the only fluid temp I can see is coolant.
                              Last edited by GyroF-16; 05-01-2023, 06:58 AM. Reason: Question on oil temp display

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

Baris,

If I have mkiv nav on 7/03 production, I need tv tuner, tv tuner loom, and your kit? Do you sell everything as one package to install this with touchscreen functionality?

We never had tv tuner option in the US, it was euro only.
                                Yes I can do. Best to email me, so I can keep track of the conversation. I have 2 tv tuner cables in stock.

Comment

Working...
                                X