2023 Recommended Tune Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2023 Recommended Tune Options

I did some browsing and searching for what ECU tunes folks are running these days. I thought I would find a pinned thread, assuming this question gets asked all the time, but I did not find anything. And did not see anything recent discussing this. So here we are and apologies in advance for what I assume has been asked & answered repeatedly.

I'm going to be installing megan headers with swiftech coating pretty soon. I figured I should match that with a proper tune to take advantage. What are the recommended tunes in 2023 that give solid and reliable performance gains without pushing the limits on what's acceptable/recommended for the S54? The car is mostly a track day and weekend warrior.

A couple related questions are (1) Evolve seems to be widely used but is a bit more expensive than the other options. Is their tune that much better than everyone else's to justify the price premium? What about it justifies it?

(2) I've used the MSS5x Binary Modification Tool by ECUWorx quite a bit already to do the SMG rev match, speed limiter removal, etc. It has the option to purchase and apply a license from Evolve for a performance tune. Does anyone know how that compares to the tune on Evolve's website? The reason I like this option (potentially) is I can use the software I'm already comfortable with, and start from a binary file I've already modified to my liking.

Last edited by bryce2113; 04-13-2023, 08:41 AM. Reason: ​​​​​​​[edited 4/13/23 to remove list of known options]. 
    2005 ZCP SMG ///M3

I’d avoid all of those tuners. HTE Performance dyno tuned both of my cars. Paul Claude is also good. Epic for the racers.
    Silver Track to Street Car Journal
    Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

http://www.pcstuning.co.uk/ remotely dyno tuned my car

Paul (Claude) is a great guy to deal with and specializes in the s54.

Highly recommend

Comment

I'm getting ready to have my car tuned by HassanEido (HTE Performance) after countless recommendations on the forums and a personal friend.

Comment

Recently had Hassan dyno tune mine as well. Painless experience, super responsive and never got frustrated with me despite having to last minute delay twice because the shops I had booked in with to use their dyno cancelled on me last minute. He even stayed after his usual working hours when the third shop and third attempt to book in a dyno session delayed it by a few hours.

Cheers HassanEido, can't recommend enough.
          Last edited by Thoglan; 04-13-2023, 03:52 PM.

Comment

+1 for HTE Performance from Lebanon. Hassan is super responsive, helped me with a ton of questions related to my impending install of a CSL airbox, cams, and full exhaust system with no cats. (my car's registered out of CA) I don't even have all the parts yet as I'm still doing researching but he's been a great guide thus far and I haven't paid him a penny yet. I think PC and HTE are the two premier tuners currently for our level cars.

Comment

Originally posted by bryce2113 View Post
              • Evolve
              • Build Journal
              • RK Tunes
              • Active Autowerke

yes these are all options, terrible options

Most of the turners you listed haven't done anything meaningfully e46 related in years, I think one of these tuners knowledge base is pretty much just consolidated forum knowledge

Comment

I don't think there are any worthwhile off the shelf / plug and play tunes, unless I've missed something.
                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I'm running a bit rich (canned CSL tune from Kassel) I'm going to have Hassen tune it soon as I've heard nothing but great things about him. With that said, it's pretty much a necessity to get a dyno tune as opposed to say, another canned tune, but from a different tuner like HTE correct? Has anyone had success with any of HTE's canned tunes? Thanks
                  2003.5 BMW M3 Carbon Schwarz Metallic/Cinnamon 6 Speed – HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | AA Headers | AA Section 1 | SS Resonated Section 2 | SS Race Section 3 | TMS V2 CSL Airbox | TMS Street Plates | Ohlin’s R&T Coilovers | Ground Control Front and Rear Sways | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Arms | DMG Autosport Pro46R | FreakyParts BBK Front | Porsche 996 Conversion Rear | CMP Stage 1 + 1.5 Reinforcement Plates | CMP Subframe Bushings | CMP RTAB’s | SGT CSL Bumper | SGT CSL Trunk | Dr VANOS

Comment

I have not purchased a tune from anyone but I’d just like to point out that if you think all these tuners aren’t just copying each other you’re kidding yourself.

Hassan and Paul Claude contributed a fair amount on M3F.

I’d also point out that there is little to gain from fuel and spark. IMO you should really only be tuning to maximize air charge via cam timing and properly estimate it via alpha N or MAP for systems that use it, less need for MAF. There is very little discussion of these specifics on this forum and I think it warrants more talk since a lot of people seem to have distorted ideas about where the gains come from with a tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Acarv_426 View Post
                      I'm running a bit rich (canned CSL tune from Kassel) I'm going to have Hassen tune it soon as I've heard nothing but great things about him. With that said, it's pretty much a necessity to get a dyno tune as opposed to say, another canned tune, but from a different tuner like HTE correct? Has anyone had success with any of HTE's canned tunes? Thanks
                      He’ll need the AFR readings to dial in the tune. So dyno or adding a wideband sensor would be your only options, IIRC.
                      Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                      Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
                        Recently had Hassan dyno tune mine as well. Painless experience, super responsive and never got frustrated with me despite having to last minute delay twice because the shops I had booked in with cancelled on me last minute. He even stayed after his usual working hours when the third shop and third attempt to book in a session delayed it by a few hours.

Cheers HassanEido, can't recommend enough.
                        Do you know if he offers a base off-the shelf tune? I won't be able to dyno tune the car in the near future (not readily available where I live).

Originally posted by Syfon View Post
                        http://www.pcstuning.co.uk/ remotely dyno tuned my car

Paul (Claude) is a great guy to deal with and specializes in the s54.

Highly recommend

Same question -- Does he only offer dyno tuned options?
                        2005 ZCP SMG ///M3

Comment

HTE or PCS remote tune, can't go wrong with either.
                          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post

He’ll need the AFR readings to dial in the tune. So dyno or adding a wideband sensor would be your only options, IIRC.
                            Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of adding a wideband. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I came across some awesome custom gauges from kokgo20. Hopefully he still makes them. Sent a pm for more info.
                            2003.5 BMW M3 Carbon Schwarz Metallic/Cinnamon 6 Speed – HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | AA Headers | AA Section 1 | SS Resonated Section 2 | SS Race Section 3 | TMS V2 CSL Airbox | TMS Street Plates | Ohlin’s R&T Coilovers | Ground Control Front and Rear Sways | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Arms | DMG Autosport Pro46R | FreakyParts BBK Front | Porsche 996 Conversion Rear | CMP Stage 1 + 1.5 Reinforcement Plates | CMP Subframe Bushings | CMP RTAB’s | SGT CSL Bumper | SGT CSL Trunk | Dr VANOS

Comment

OP may want to edit initial post to get rid of all those Tooners names, so no one in the future gets confused and ends up with any of them, unless your main goals are pops and bangs, those are all shit

Comment

Working...
                              X