No announcement yet.

2004 29,000 miles, oil around vanos gasket, Beisan vanos rebuild, quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You will really only get oil there from a few sources, vanos gasket and vanos solenoid sealing plate would be the prime sources.

The round plug in the front of the head can leak as well and I suppose a timing covers could produce oil there as well. Oh, can't count out the vanos line as well, but if the vanos line had a leak, it would be pretty obvious in most situations.

Ideally you don't have oil leaking anywhere, but with these old cars you have to be proactive if you want absolutely 0 oil leaks.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by gixxer View Post
      Hello,

Look for feedbacks on the below quote. Few parts are bit higher but it is what it is in current inflation climate.

Save that $3600, and buy the VAC over-sized hub + new vanos gasket + valve cover gasket set. That's all I would do.

No need to replace hte upper chain guide at 30K miles. Remove the 12 cam sleeve bolts, clean the threads on them and the holes, add blue Loctite and bolt them back.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Save that $3600, and buy the VAC over-sized hub + new vanos gasket + valve cover gasket set. That's all I would do.

No need to replace hte upper chain guide at 30K miles. Remove the 12 cam sleeve bolts, clean the threads on them and the holes, add blue Loctite and bolt them back.
        The VAC hub is 700 and having your current pump disc redrilled by Dr. VANOS is 150. That is a significant difference in cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
          You will really only get oil there from a few sources, vanos gasket and vanos solenoid sealing plate would be the prime sources.
          So, picked up this borescope/endoscope gadget that do 360-degree movement, and starting to see (maybe) what's going on as the source,

Seems like the leak maybe at the sealing plate?

But there are those oil stains at some "odd" places...

(Ignore the 2023-04-14 timestamp, forgot to set the date/time before using it)

​​Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	216
Size:	979.9 KB
ID:	215266

Click image for larger version

Views:	206
Size:	825.7 KB
ID:	215267

Comment

Current school of thought is,

a) tackle the valve body removal
            b) inspect/replace seals on the sealing plate
            c) clean valve body
            d) clean the oil area as best as possible
            e) put back the valve body
            f) (spirited) drive for few hundred miles, look for oil leak in similar area
            g) if no more leak, then at closer to 30K miles get valve adjustments
            h) additional inspection in and around vanos
            i) maybe replace vanos gasket by then

Comment

Name:	SNAG-01012.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	215274 Click image for larger version

Name:	SNAG-01013.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	215275

attaching.

Comment

That's a very very minor leak.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

You can, there's access holes for those in the solenoid pack.
                  Finally, found the right length with enough clearance to put a 1/4 drive torque wrench down there.

Views:	167
Size:	943.8 KB
ID:	216117

Comment

How do you guys feel about using some rtv on the bottom left of the gasket? I replaced this 2 times and it’s still leaking. Might put a thin layer of rtv on bottom half. This leak is making its way down to my oil pan.

Comment

Your M is very low mileage. I would leave it alone. If anything, take that money and get the subframe reinforced.

Comment

Working...
                      X