Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best E46 M3 Full Exhaust setup for the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M3mike View Post

Would it be best two run one AR-25 next to the factory resonator or two Ar25s?
    There is already a resonator on your Section 1 so just one is enough to reduce the other side.

Comment

Here's a guy that has a decent sound without resonators. He has the Supremo from Megan Racing and Status Gruppe headers. I personally wouldn't buy their muffler but his sounds pretty awesome above 4k.

And being on a budget is fine as long as you aren't cheaping out on maintenance. Some people on here have spent $5000 on their exhaust. I spent $250 on my headers, which are Megan Racing, and $650 a used GruppeM muffler. My goal was to keep the cost low and it turned out awesome.
      Last edited by Arith2; 05-06-2020, 06:32 PM.
      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I have SGT full exhaust.
        SGT Headers
        SGT Section 1 ( no cats)
        SGT Section 2 ( Non resn)
        SGT SCZA section 3
        I wouldn’t call it cheap. I was super picky in choosing the exhaust system for my car, I felt this was the best sounding option IMO.

Comment

Euro. Headers/Sec. 1 for the MONEY and KNOWING it will fit. Sec. 2 and muffler can then determine sound as well as a bit of power likely.
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Stack View Post
            I have SGT full exhaust.
            SGT Headers
            SGT Section 1 ( no cats)
            SGT SCZA section 3
            I wouldn’t call it cheap. I was super picky in choosing the exhaust system for my car, I felt this was the best sounding option IMO.

That's a great comparison video. The cameras are always a little weird when picking up the rasp but nonetheless that sounds great!
            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Stack View Post
              I have SGT full exhaust.
              SGT Headers
              SGT Section 1 ( no cats)
              SGT SCZA section 3
              Backfires and that noise level would drive me nuts on the street, but de gustibus non est disputandum. Just depends on what you're looking for. I like the stock Euro setup:

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
              Best bang for buck is euro headers and section 1, stock section 2 and muffler.
              QFT. And IMO, the best noise from an S54 comes from the front end of the car, not the back. Just have to put the right airbox on it.

Comment

Balancing volume/cost/performance my ideal setup would be Euro headers > Euro catted Sec 1 > OE sec 2 > Dinan muffler. Great sound, perfect fit, no drone, and can be done under $2k all in.

Comment

I went through this over the last 6 months so i will add my $0.02. I first did euro headers/section 1 with OEM section 2 and SCZA Muffler. while it sounded 'okay' from inside i could tell that it had a bit too much rasp (to some, this is great, but not for me), which made sense because if you do the math, i went from 2 cats/ 2 resonators to 2 cats / 1 resonator so i guess i expected more rasp.

Video: https://youtu.be/R4c_3CX1T0M

Once i accepted the fact i didn't like the rasp, i moved over to a SuperSprint Section 2. i read that it was an upgraded resonator, which makes up for only having one...it changed the tone to this:

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D7A1Ewk3AU

i like the subtle rasp with a good tone. under normal driving conditions it doesn't sound loud at all. may not be what you want but at my age (40) i'm not looking to be driving down the street making too much noise.
                  Last edited by MarcoPolo; 05-08-2020, 07:12 PM.
                  '06 Carbon Black
                  Sabelt, Brey Krause, MCS 2-way, SuperSprint, Karbonius, Epic, Volk

Comment

I’m probably in the minority here but have really found that for a street car it’s best to just change the muffler and leave the rest alone.

I have a SGT Scorza and the only one I’ve heard that is consider swapping for is Dinan. I’m sure Supersprint is great, though I’ve never heard that one on a car that didn’t also also have aftermarket headers.

Comment

Originally posted by tvan View Post
                      I’m probably in the minority here but have really found that for a street car it’s best to just change the muffler and leave the rest alone.

I have a SGT Scorza and the only one I’ve heard that is consider swapping for is Dinan. I’m sure Supersprint is great, though I’ve never heard that one on a car that didn’t also also have aftermarket headers.
                      also makes sense. if you're not going to do much to the car other than change the way it sounds, that sounds like a good idea. i ended up getting tuned as well so for me, a tune on a mostly stock car is a waste of money. going catless on the headers is typically the first step in freeing up airflow.
                      '06 Carbon Black
                      Sabelt, Brey Krause, MCS 2-way, SuperSprint, Karbonius, Epic, Volk

Comment

Originally posted by tvan View Post

Actually maybe the less vocal majority. If you just want to change the sound of the exhaust, yours is a pretty straightforward solution. Personally, I don't care about the sound and want to get the restriction out of the headers while still having high quality parts with good fitment. So in my case it's the opposite: swap the headers and S1 and leave the muffler and S2 alone.

Originally posted by MarcoPolo View Post

also makes sense. if you're not going to do much to the car other than change the way it sounds, that sounds like a good idea. i ended up getting tuned as well so for me, a tune on a mostly stock car is a waste of money. going catless on the headers is typically the first step in freeing up airflow.
                        Nice thing about Euro headers and cats is swapping to the OE Euro tune matches right up and it's free.
                        Last edited by ethan; 05-10-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

As said above change the muffler first, I've had that exhaust on my car. Keeping that muffler and messing around further back in section 2 or changing headers seems like a waste of time.

Better options out there that won't hurt your budget, or just go back to stock.

Comment

Originally posted by ethan View Post

Actually maybe the less vocal majority. If you just want to change the sound of the exhaust, yours is a pretty straightforward solution. Personally, I don't care about the sound and want to get the restriction out of the headers while still having high quality parts with good fitment. So in my case it's the opposite: swap the headers and S1 and leave the muffler and S2 alone.
                            Totally makes sense if getting more power is your motive. I see most exhaust mods on these cars as being an incredible amount of money spent on very little gain, especially if you aren't going to put it to use on the track.

I'm definitely not opposed to swapping any of the OE euro parts though. If you can find them in good shape there's really no downside to those.

Comment

I’ve got the Megan Race Headers (had them ceramic coated), added an AR25 in my section 1 (to cut down the earth-shattering rasp I had), stock section 2 and RE El Diablo section 3...I have yet to hear a better exhaust set-up on the E46

Comment

Originally posted by umichchris View Post
                                I’ve got the Megan Race Headers (had them ceramic coated), added an AR25 in my section 1 (to cut down the earth-shattering rasp I had), stock section 2 and RE El Diablo section 3...I have yet to hear a better exhaust set-up on the E46
                                THIS WAS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR! thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X