Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best E46 M3 Full Exhaust setup for the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best E46 M3 Full Exhaust setup for the money?

Right now I'm only running a Megan Racing muffler (I know probably not the best but I'm on a budget) and the rest stock. Overall I really like it for the money, but I notice some drone and also a bit more rasp than I probably want.

I bought some catless headers and plan on installing these soon, which I'm worried will only accentuate the drone and rasp. Should I add an Ar-20 in the section one. Should I buy a status Gruppe resonated X pipe? What would be the best bang for buck to add to the section 1 & 2. What is the benefit of the X pipe and what generally sounds best or what setups do you guys run/ like?

Best bang for buck is euro headers and section 1, stock section 2 and muffler.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Ironically, the cheap stuff like Megan & SGT is a worse use of money than buying the best, expensive stuff like Supersprint v1.

Owning an M3 and being on a budget isn't a great combo, so i would recommend you keep the car stock and use all "car funds" to address maintenance. And don't say your maint is all done cause you changed the oil and the dealer "looked" at your subframe (RACP). You could spend tens of thousands refreshing the car, even at discounted online (OEM/OES) parts prices.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I had the subframe reinforced... just looking for a few options for exhaust mods under $1000. thanks.

Comment

Best option in what, sound (strongly subjective) or gain in power (minimal without supporting mods)?

For sound, I find my all stock with modified section 3 plenty loud; yet retains E46 M3's exhaust note very nicely.. (Subjective)

For power; I believe others will chime in with much more in depth knowledge..

Comment

Your best bet is just to ad a second resonator to section 1. The x-pipe will drone around 2500 to 3k rpm even more and you'll loose midrange torque.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
              Your best bet is just to ad a second resonator to section 1. The x-pipe will drone around 2500 to 3k rpm even more and you'll loose midrange torque.
              Definitely do this if you want to decrease rasp cheaply.

For a super budget solution, buy a used stock section 1 and chop it in half to separate the unresonated and resonated pipes. Do the same to the stock section 1 on your car then install both resonated pipes.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Same as guys said weld extra resonator to section 1 or buy some used one with double resonators. There is no reason to change section 2 if you don't have complete aftermarket exhaust. Stock is really good.

Comment

Should I go two AR-20s side by side in section one? or stock section one resonator with one ar-20 on the other side? I imagine they would sound pretty similar.

Looks like I wont worry about changing section two for now. Thanks!

Comment

I added a ar25 to section one. In my opinion it sounds way better. Cost me $100 to have a shop do it, I brought them the section off the car. I couldn’t justify spending $400+ and not getting anything except a change in tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ob917 View Post
                      I added a ar25 to section one. In my opinion it sounds way better. Cost me $100 to have a shop do it, I brought them the section off the car. I couldn’t justify spending $400+ and not getting anything except a change in tone.
                      Do you think the Ar-25 would be a better option than the Ar-20? because its a bit larger diameter? I'm guessing they would sound pretty similar just trying to determine the best option. Thanks for help!

Comment

If you're just going after sound, I'd do the 2x resonated factory section 1 pipe solution. Cheapest once labor is factored in, and you get OE build quality instead of whatever local shop welds in a not amazing quality resonator for you. Should be easy enough to pick up a used US section 1 from someone on here that has gone to an aftermarket section 1.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

The AR25 definitely tames the Megan and makes it sound pretty decent for the cost. You might end up liking it. 😀

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
                            The AR25 definitely tames the Megan and makes it sound pretty decent for the cost. You might end up liking it. 😀
                            Would it be best two run one AR-25 next to the factory resonator or two Ar25s?

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                              If you're just going after sound, I'd do the 2x resonated factory section 1 pipe solution. Cheapest once labor is factored in, and you get OE build quality instead of whatever local shop welds in a not amazing quality resonator for you. Should be easy enough to pick up a used US section 1 from someone on here that has gone to an aftermarket section 1.
                              Only problem with this is that the pipes rub slightly. I get some rattling on cold starts, I've decided to just live with it until I upgrade the whole exhaust system. I'm sure welding on a bracket between the two pipes would fix this, but I just can't be bothered.
                              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X