Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best E46 M3 Full Exhaust setup for the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by umichchris View Post
    I’ve got the Megan Race Headers (had them ceramic coated), added an AR25 in my section 1 (to cut down the earth-shattering rasp I had), stock section 2 and RE El Diablo section 3...I have yet to hear a better exhaust set-up on the E46
    Got a sound clip?

That El Diablo sounds like a must have portion of the set up. This one sounds really good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by umichchris View Post
      I’ve got the Megan Race Headers (had them ceramic coated), added an AR25 in my section 1 (to cut down the earth-shattering rasp I had), stock section 2 and RE El Diablo section 3...I have yet to hear a better exhaust set-up on the E46
      Had exactly this setup sub Megan for unknown, uncoated eBay headers. It's antisocially loud and has significant drone somewhere in the 3000s. If you have an airbox, this setup ruins it. If you have track noise limits, you'll be nervous. You'll be a Harley rider in that South Park episode. Having said that... it sounds better than any other exhaust I've heard on the car. Downshifts are absolutely savage.

Comment

Originally posted by ethan View Post

Had exactly this setup sub Megan for unknown, uncoated eBay headers. It's antisocially loud and has significant drone somewhere in the 3000s. If you have an airbox, this setup ruins it. If you have track noise limits, you'll be nervous. You'll be a Harley rider in that South Park episode. Having said that... it sounds better than any other exhaust I've heard on the car. Downshifts are absolutely savage.
        You had the AR25 welded in as well?

I have SGT headers and el Diablo sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. Dont want it to be crazy loud though. Also have Borla on the car which I’m assuming would be more tame.

Comment

Originally posted by LukesM View Post

You had the AR25 welded in as well?

I have SGT headers and el Diablo sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. Dont want it to be crazy loud though. Also have Borla on the car which I’m assuming would be more tame.
          Right - one AR25 (or was it AR20?) and one stock resonator in the otherwise stock S1. To be fair, the El Diablo I had was very old - came on the car when I purchased it in 2013, and I'm sure it had been there for quite some time already. It's been through some revisions since (larger pipes) and according to a call I had with Rogue, they're quieter when new vs. a decade old.

It's a great muffler, but make sure you want race volume before buying a race muffler (SS Race, El Diablo, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by ethan View Post

Right - one AR25 (or was it AR20?) and one stock resonator in the otherwise stock S1. To be fair, the El Diablo I had was very old - came on the car when I purchased it in 2013, and I'm sure it had been there for quite some time already. It's been through some revisions since (larger pipes) and according to a call I had with Rogue, they're quieter when new vs. a decade old.

It's a great muffler, but make sure you want race volume before buying a race muffler (SS Race, El Diablo, etc).
            What did you end up settling on?

Comment

Here is my SGT catted setup for comparison.

SGT Ceramic Coated Headers
              SGT Sect 1 with 200 Cell Cats
              OE Sect 2
              SCZA Muffler
              TTFS SMG and Engine Tune

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 05-15-2020, 11:44 AM.
              TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
              Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
              Evolve Eventuri
              - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

there is nothing wrong with running Megan headers with stock section 1 and Megan muffler. you can add magnaflow cats in your stock section 1 and have them weld new bungs for the o2 sensors.

Comment

Stock headers
                  Status Gruppe rasp eliminator
                  stock H pipe
                  OG status gruppe muffler with burnt titanium csl tips

Comment

I have euro headers and cats coupled to a SuperSprint Performance (Gen 2) cat-back. Sounds great and no weird smells. Would do it again.
                    Last edited by R1pilot; 05-29-2020, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Wait, for the money. just add an AR20 next to the stock resonator. A muffler shop can do this pretty quickly. Think it was under an hour and that included letting it cool down and getting it up and down off lift.

As for sound that's subjective. Everyone has their own opinion.
                      6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                        Best bang for buck is euro headers and section 1, stock section 2 and muffler.
                        Yep, the best and it fits with no problems.

Comment

Anyone have/had this setup: Euro Headers, Borla Mids and RE Diablo Exhaust?

I remember watching a youtube video of it on the old forums, sounded really nice and throaty with a deep grumble.

Comment

I'm trying to eliminate some of the rasp as well and I'm in the process of putting together my own set up. I'd like to get some HP out of it, be it louder, and a deeper tone. This is what I'm thinking: SGT catless headers, SGT x2 resonated sect 1, OEM sect 2, and either a Megan Racing exhaust or the Gruppe M. Anyone run a similar set up? Thoughts/Advice?

Follow my build on IG: USM3C

Comment

I've had the Meagan for 5 yrs. now. Pleased with the build quality and best bang for the buck IMO. not too loud...Pretty lightweight. added the 2nd resonator too ie... the AR.. all good fit and finish.

Comment

AR20 & AR25 are the same resonator just different in/out diameters. You can get either and an exhaust shop can cut and/or spread to match the section 1 pipe diameter. I had mine off the car and took it in to a shop. Cost around $100.

I currently have an AR20 in Sec 1, Rogue X-pipe (Un-resonated) and stock headers & Sec 3. Definitely tame and sounds okay to me. For sound mods I am planning on going with a CSL style intake instead of exhaust.
                                2002 M3 LSB/Kiwi Vert
                                2014 X5 50i
                                2019 Ford Raptor

Comment

Working...
                                X