CSL Trunk lid strut options - sharing info I've gathered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL Trunk lid strut options - sharing info I've gathered

I just upgraded to Status Gruppe carbon CSL trunk lid - very happy with the end product.

I wanted to have a 2 strut solution, so here's what I've found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CSL Trunk.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	216047

Name:	CSL Lip.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	216048

The body shop (Sublime Restorations) did the fitment and paint - I like the small area of exposed CF they left. Helps pick up the CF splitters on the CSL front bumper.

The Status Gruppe piece is 13 pounds vs the OEM lid of 26 pounds - so the stock trunk lift cylinders were going to be too strong - so I did some research on options.

The BMW OEM trunk lid left cylinder specs are:
    Extended Length A [in]: 13.74
    Stroke C [in]: 4.13
    Compressed Length B [in]: 9.61
    Force (Lbs): 72
    Shaft Connection: Ball Socket U Band Short (Nylon)=10mm
    Body Connection: Ball Socket U Band Short (Nylon)=10mm

I decided that 13" lift would be adequate and then I focused on finding a variety of struts at various forces - 20, 25 & 30# (I also ordered 28# units but they never showed up).

Here are links to the struts I found on Amazon - if you go to Lift Support Depot website, they actually have a nice tool to search their available struts.
    30 # struts - Strut Dimension (Center-to-Center): Ext. Length: 13.00 inch; Comp. Length: 8.50 inch
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B7HR1XH...roduct_details

25# struts - Extended Length: 13 inch Compressed Length: 8.4inch.
    Note: This strut is available with 25, 28, 30, 35, etc opening force
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BK4G4PXH?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

20# struts - Extended Length A [in]: 13.00, Compressed Length B [in]: 8.42, Force (Lbs): 20​
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFRYNRW...roduct_details

The bodyshop felt that the 30# struts put too much load on the trunklid when compressed - they could see the skin on the lid had deformed very slightly (probably more evident with jet black paint).

The 20 and 25 pound units worked fine - I have to manually lift the trunk lid after it pops open, but both of them hold the lid up.

Ultimately I ended up going with the 25# struts vs the 20# units because they looked slighly more OEM (they are painted black) - BUT - the outer body of the 10mm connectors were a bit too big. Since I missed the return window for Amazon on some of the others - I just took the ends off of 20# strut and used it on the 25# unit. I tried the ends from the OEM struts and they are different thread size so they wouldn't fit.

Good luck!
    '01 M3, JB/IR, SS, TCK DA, Apex, TMS CSL, HTE, 4:10 gears - original owner
    '00 slicktop Touring converting to full M3 Touring

The alignment looks pretty good, you got any pics with it open so we can see the struts?

Comment

Why did you get this over karbonius or slon?
      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Interesting. This isn't something I had even considered yet with my Karbonius trunk expected to be painted and installed next Monday. Might have to grab those 25#'s, as well.

Edit: Just ordered these, as the ones you mentioned wouldn't arrive in time. Looks like they should fit, so fingers crossed. Appreciate you drawing attention to this for me!
        Last edited by eforty6_m3; 05-03-2023, 05:56 AM.

2005 BMW M3 (6MT) Instagram
        2021 BMW M340i

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!

My Slow Burn (M3 build thread)
        My DOUBLE thread (garage build)

Comment

My body shop handles the Turner Motorsports races cars and does a lot of BMWs. I asked him which trunk lid he recommended and he said hands down the SG CSL lid had the best fit and finish over the others in his experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
            Why did you get this over karbonius or slon?

their Scorza based CSL trunk is exceptionally good quality and fitment, actually obtaining it is the pain point for most people

Comment

Here's a couple of pictures of the open trunk.

Name:	open trunk.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	216209

Name:	trunk angle.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	216210

Sorry for 90 degree shot - pic I uploaded was OK, ran into this before, I'll figure it out

Comment

Badge looks a little crooked but otherwise very nice
                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Look on McMaster-Carr - you can buy different sized ball ends. Also look on eBay. I use the same shocks as splitter supports.

Comment

Thx - I’ve got another set I’m planning to install.

Comment

I ordered #20's from your link, this batch may have been black in terms of the tube color. I messaged and they confirmed as well as the photos? Lets see.

Anyway, I totally blanked out and ordered two OEM rear trunk shocks in preparation of installing my Karbonius CSL Trunk. I had read that two OEM shocks are too strong for the lightened trunk and you could use one side only. I would hate the way it would look and function with potential bending/warping/flexing when lowering from the non strut side. Anyway, more parts tossed into the for sale pile. Thanks for the thread!

Comment

Working...
                      X