E46 M3 - Dinan vs Eventuri Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I’ve been told that they had a car with a CSL box, had loss of power. Went back to stock with the ECIS intake and made more power.

Many variables here. I have had a gain that I felt when I slightly improved my injen intake shield. About 3 mph increase on the straights at MSR Houston. Touched 143mph at COTA, 6mph better than my previous top speed.
    Did they have ducting to the CSL airbox? I can't see how it is possible to make more power using the restricted MAF stock elbow versus the massive panel filter on the CSL intake. A cold air feed coupled with ram air and no restrictions should make more power. If they had the CSL intake with no ducting and a gaping hole where the snorkel should go, that is most likely the problem right there.

Comment

That's it, I'm getting an ecis intake now whatever that is.
      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
        BRB, trashing my Rogue Engineering RSMs and trans mounts.
        Wait. Serious question that is seriously off topic. I thought these were good / accepted parts?!

Back on topic: I was very happy with my Eventuri when I ran it. Very good “middle ground” mod with little to no perceived compromise. It looked a bit weird but I leave my hood closed when driving and whilst parked at meets so I barely noticed.
        Last edited by LSB4Me; 05-15-2023, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LSB4Me View Post

Wait. Serious question that is seriously off topic. I thought these were good / accepted parts?!
          It's fine dude I was half-joking.
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            Local guy bought RE section 1, 2, & 3 like a week ago. Sect 2 already has cracked.

Sgt, aa, re, bimmerworld et al buy chinese made wares.
            Hmm, I'll be honest in that I don't follow much of these companies goings on, but all of the RE products I have used (shifters, trans and shocks mounts and some other misc items) have been good.
            ​​

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
            George, I can't take any company seriously that has a product called diablo.

But seriously, do they actually make anything or is it all china shit? I assume it's a bunch of guys sitting in an office and sending designs overseas to produce.

People buy it because they can't afford better stuff. I always cringe when I see an m3 listed for sale and on the mods list is stuff like uuc, rogue, angel eyes, polyurethane bushings, ebay headers etc. God I feel so dirty for typing that.

Fair, I would say Diablo is kind of silly. I can't really compare to the others in this regards as well but Ben has always seemed like a solid enthusiast trying to do right in the community. They are a shop so I think selling parts is only a piece of their business and I've chatted with clients of theirs who have been pleased.

I’ve been told that they had a car with a CSL box, had loss of power. Went back to stock with the ECIS intake and made more power.

Many variables here. I have had a gain that I felt when I slightly improved my injen intake shield. About 3 mph increase on the straights at MSR Houston. Touched 143mph at COTA, 6mph better than my previous top speed.
            Jay, that seems a bit of a stretch to say in one instance this happened and that is a blanket statement to apply across the board, especially with no hard data. I do agree comparing mph at the track is a good data point but as you said lots of variables too.

Back on topic: I was very happy with my Eventuri when I ran it. Very good “middle ground” mod with little to no perceived compromise. It looked a bit weird but I leave my hood closed when driving and whilst parked at meets so I barely noticed.
            I like the RE shifter, I use their trans and shock mounts almost exclusively. Maybe their are some outliers that are not the best, but I'm satisfied with the products I use of theirs.
            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Was a joke in response to a dumb comment. I like the RE RSMs and trans mounts.
              Silver Track to Street Car Journal
              Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

I love RE tranny mounts, but it's just a block of rubber, so hard to get wrong. I have their RSMs, which are one of the best rubber options as well.
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

this seems very plausible, a lot of people used to have power/driveability issues after installing CSL intakes (they dont play well on cars with deferred maintenance)
                  tuning options have gotten much better over the years but i bet there are plenty of guys running around with less power than stock just enjoying the sound

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

It's fine dude I was half-joking.
                    99% of your posts leave so much up for interpretation that they're almost worthless at this point

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Did they have ducting to the CSL airbox? I can't see how it is possible to make more power using the restricted MAF stock elbow versus the massive panel filter on the CSL intake. A cold air feed coupled with ram air and no restrictions should make more power. If they had the CSL intake with no ducting and a gaping hole where the snorkel should go, that is most likely the problem right there.
                      Don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                        Jay, that seems a bit of a stretch to say in one instance this happened and that is a blanket statement to apply across the board, especially with no hard data. I do agree comparing mph at the track is a good data point but as you said lots of variables too.
                        I don't know, just restating someone else's observation.

I would think a dyno run could not replicate the aerodynamics involved. I would think that a CSL intake could pull in a lot more air since the car is not moving and the air is relatively high pressure in the engine bay. So the only source of a pressure differential is the intake with the car stationary. There has to be a pressure differential to create flow.

As the car moves there are more pressure differentials causing flows. The only real data that is typically gathered is butt dyno data. I wonder if pressure probes could measure pressure differentials between post and pre-filter airflows and provide useful data?

Comment

I don't know, just restating someone else's observation.

I would think a dyno run could not replicate the aerodynamics involved. I would think that a CSL intake could pull in a lot more air since the car is not moving and the air is relatively high pressure in the engine bay. So the only source of a pressure differential is the intake with the car stationary. There has to be a pressure differential to create flow.

As the car moves there are more pressure differentials causing flows. The only real data that is typically gathered is butt dyno data. I wonder if pressure probes could measure pressure differentials between post and pre-filter airflows and provide useful data?
                          I don't disagree with anything you stated above, but if that were the case then we would likely see the same results with most any "CAI" vs a CSL or if the CSL was ducted wouldn't it provide a similar situation?
                          '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

I don't disagree with anything you stated above, but if that were the case then we would likely see the same results with most any "CAI" vs a CSL or if the CSL was ducted wouldn't it provide a similar situation?
                            Doesn't the CSL intake have a larger filter surface area? I'm not an aerodynamicist - I'd think that you would get more flow into the CSL intake vs a CAI if both had zero baffling.

I believe the difference with the RE intake is it seals against the hood. I don't know if the AFE intake does the same, I'd guess no.

Comment

Doesn't the CSL intake have a larger filter surface area? I'm not an aerodynamicist - I'd think that you would get more flow into the CSL intake vs a CAI if both had zero baffling.

I believe the difference with the RE intake is it seals against the hood. I don't know if the AFE intake does the same, I'd guess no.
                              Dinan has a sealed enclosure. AFE has a similar design the the RE so I would assume they are on par.

Comment

I had a Dinan intake before and it was fine. But when I installed my Eventuri the sound was noticeably better. I can't imagine HP improvement on either were noticeable and my butt dyno said they were equal.

Comment

Working...
                                X