No announcement yet.

Vanos time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the replies. I will take a pic this weekend , when I take the valve cover off amd show you guys.

Comment

So this morning around 5 oclock, I was driving about 50mph and I hit a racoon, front right side of bumper, I saw the racoon too late and couldn't swerve, I kept on driving, so the washer fluid light came on. I was like ok the tank is broken. Then the radiator light came on. I was 15 mins away from home, so I was like im going to drive home. The temp needle went into the red. I drove the car like that for 5 mins. Then heard noise coming from the engine at around 2000-3500 rpm, sounding like loose marbles. Made it home, I didn't check the car properly because I had to go to work. But I see my oil cooler hanging and scraping the floor. I hope i done need a engine. Most likely a head gasket. What should I check first. I will check later on today take a good look and see what's really broken, oil cooler, radiator , bumper.

Comment

Ah man, that is really unfortunate. Once you start losing coolant and the temp needle climbs to the red, you really need to shut off the car and call a tow trunk. The marbles sound is most likely pinging due to a head gasket failure. You'll want to do a leak down test to verify.

Comment

Yeah I will do a compression test, fingers crossed that I get good readings. I just gotta find a good one to buy that could fit into the spark plug hole.

Comment

What is done is done, but why you did not stop to at least check the damage, would have cost you much less.

Comment

Originally posted by M3powerzz View Post
              The temp needle went into the red. I drove the car like that for 5 mins. Then heard noise coming from the engine at around 2000-3500 rpm, sounding like loose marbles. Most likely a head gasket.
              Hopefully that's all it is. No coolant, the motor's relying on merely the oil for that job, so the first thing that comes to my mind is a spun bearing from cooked oil. Doesn't take long.

Comment

Well put coolant in the car, still leaking from the radiator. The noise is gone, I started it up, no noise , but wasn't under load. Still rev smooth so spun bearing is out I assume, will fix the radiator and start from there. I will still do a compression test. I think the noise was from my aux fan hitting a plastic that was broken. Will update you guys .. Fyi I did feel sorry for the racoon I hit. Rip...i know I should of stop when it went into the red. But i was on the highway and wad 5-10 mins from home. So I wanted to get off the highway.
                Last edited by M3powerzz; 06-09-2023, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I fixed my oil cooler , put in New radiator. Car is running good. No noise , pulls strong, Just gotta fix the timing. I will take a pic when I have the valve cover off, and show you at tdc, where my cams are facing to start to fix the p0012 code.

Comment

Anyone ever use this alignment tool,

Comment

Use the OE BMW tool.

Comment

Originally posted by M3powerzz View Post
                        Anyone ever use this alignment tool,
                        https://www.amazon.com/Camshaft-Sett.../dp/B08332DDRB
                        Only use the Genuine BMW tool.

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

Ok, so I adjusted the timing. I got to tdc, loose the 3 hub bolts, then rotated crank shaft, loosen the other 3 bolts, fully retard camshaft turning counter clock wise, put alignment bridge on, adjusted intake camshaft , dowel went in smoothly. Now for the exhaust when I turn it counter clock wise., the dowel didn't go in, the camshaft needed to go coo terclock wise a little more, but the camshaft couldnt go any more. So I put everything back together and Now I'm getting code p0014 b camshaft position timing, over advanced or system performance bank 1. So my timing still off?

Comment

The the exhaust camshaft.

Comment

Ohh i know you guys said to get the oem alignment tool. I will order it this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X