CSL trunk: OE vs Karbonius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL trunk: OE vs Karbonius?

Looking for opinions on whether to go OE or Karbonius on a CSL trunk. Seems like Mile-End has been MIA unfortunately.
    I really value having good/perfect fitment and don't mind the slightly extra weight of the OE trunk / non-CF construction.
    Is there any reason to go with Karbonius or should I just stick with OE?

Originally posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
    I really value having good/perfect fitment and don't mind the slightly extra weight of the OE trunk / non-CF construction.
    unless you wanted to try some custom/exposed paint options that can be had with a cf trunk, it seems like you'd be happier with OE

Comment

Originally posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
      Looking for opinions on whether to go OE or Karbonius on a CSL trunk. Seems like Mile-End has been MIA unfortunately.
      OEM is for pure ease of fitment. In every other category imo it's karbonius, weight, quality craftsmanship and warranty on defects. I wouldn't do any cute cf exposed coloring. Plus they serve one up with wing reinforcement which is a good option for the hardcore build.

OEM stands to be quite a bit more expensive afaik.
      2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post

OEM is for pure ease of fitment. In every other category imo it's karbonius, weight, quality craftsmanship and warranty on defects. I wouldn't do any cute cf exposed coloring. Plus they serve one up with wing reinforcement which is a good option for the hardcore build.

OEM stands to be quite a bit more expensive afaik.
        Karbonius' fitment on the inner accessories, namely the lock isn't great. Outside fitment is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

Karbonius' fitment on the inner accessories, namely the lock isn't great. Outside fitment is nice.
          But not a deal breaker I imagine? I see on the euroconnex, its mentioned that the tolerances are tighter. Does that mean it just needs a bit of a shave to get the lock fit proper? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jdamore44 View Post

But not a deal breaker I imagine? I see on the euroconnex, its mentioned that the tolerances are tighter. Does that mean it just needs a bit of a shave to get the lock fit proper? Thanks!
            That's right. I'll post more interior fitment pictures when we get there. The trunk latch is bolted, the rest isn't yet for obvious reasons

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC7414.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	225903

Name:	_DSC7422.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	225902

Name:	_DSC7416.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	225901

Name:	_DSC7420.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	225900

Comment

Even the fitment on my OE trunk's lock wasn't 100% perfect and I had to slightly enlarge the holes to get the lock centered in the hole. Other then that the OE trunk's fitment is perfect.
              2004 M3-Silver Grey Metallic/Imola Red-Coupe-6spd
              2002 330Ci-Topaz Blue Metallic/Black-5spd
              Instagram- Norocehcap

Comment

Originally posted by Norocehcap View Post

Even the fitment on my OE trunk's lock wasn't 100% perfect and I had to slightly enlarge the holes to get the lock centered in the hole. Other then that the OE trunk's fitment is perfect.
                The main issues with the Karbonius trunk was thickness of the panel to clear the sandwich'ed / anti-punch-out mechanism of the lock.

Comment

The main issues with the Karbonius trunk was thickness of the panel to clear the sandwich'ed / anti-punch-out mechanism of the lock.
                  I know you've posted about this elsewhere, but for what it's worth, I didn't run into any issues with fitment on the lock cylinder with my Karb trunk. It's been over a year since I did my install, but I don't remember any issues with that particular part.
                  Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

I know you've posted about this elsewhere, but for what it's worth, I didn't run into any issues with fitment on the lock cylinder with my Karb trunk. It's been over a year since I did my install, but I don't remember any issues with that particular part.
                    Yea, Ana told me it was an early production issue! I think you lucked out

Comment

Yea, Ana told me it was an early production issue! I think you lucked out
                      Maybe that's because the serial number on my trunk is # '13'

Comment

By no choice of my own (I bought it used), the serial number on my Vorsteiner CSL trunk is "1"

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

That's a lot cooler than 13...

Comment

I’d take 13. That’s my number 😂
                            Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                            Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Does anyone make a quality carbon fiber trunk lid that has a smaller / lower ducktail? Even something that replicates the non-CSL stock trunk is fine by me.

Comment

Working...
                              X