Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Adjustment--How to Do w/o Buying Full Shim Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Adjustment--How to Do w/o Buying Full Shim Kit?

Since 1) I don't really acquire the miles to justify a full shim kit based on usage and 2) the BMW shim kit has exploded in price, what is a good strategy for adjusting valves without buying the full kit? Measure each by each, then order individual shims? Aftermarket shim kit/shims worth considering?

the Wiseco shim kit is reasonably priced at ~$65 (compared to the BMW kit) and it does the job.
    "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
    ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Measure the gaps. Any of them that are out of spec, remove the shim and measure it, then put it back. Rotate the engine and repeat.
      You often can swap them around. If not, buy those shims you need from the dealer. Install them. It's a little more work but not a big issue.

Comment

I bought a Wiseco kit and it gave me a starting point. It only gives you 3 shims of each thickness. I needed like 8-10 of one of them and 5 of another, so I had to order more shims anyway.

If I were to do it again from scratch I'd measure each shim then order the ones I need to take up the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
          You often can swap them around.
          This. Most of the new shims I needed were of two or three sizes. For the other shims, I would swap them around.

Comment

Just get the Wiseco kit, maybe two. If the adjustments have been kept up, not many should be out of spec. I typically do 6 or 7.

Comment

Thanks guys, good direction here, appreciate it.

Comment

I bought 2 wiseco kits in case I needed more than 3 of a size.

Comment

If your car isn't a daily, id measure first then order what you need. My 90k mile car didn't need any changes but I had the weisco kit ready to go.

YMMV

Comment

You guys replacing at the recommended interval or waiting until you hear the familiar ticking sound? I don't know when mine was last done but I can't hear any ticking and sense no issues.
                    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Every 25 to 30k, I check them.
                      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Where is everyone buying individual shims at? For instance, you used all 3 wiseco shims, you need 7 more of the same size.

I haven't been able to source individual ones except from bmw.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
                          Where is everyone buying individual shims at? For instance, you used all 3 wiseco shims, you need 7 more of the same size.

Wiseco 8.90mm Valve Shim Refill (shim size)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31464729106...CABEgIG7_D_BwE

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post

Lots of motorcycles still use shims to adjust valve clearance, so I got my 8.9mm shims from Rocky Mountain ATV MC. $2/piece. Plenty of other places online to get them but RMATVMC ships quickly in the west.

Comment

2 wiseco kits. Have it ready to go and be done with it.

or you can wait a week while the shims come in.

the first method will help you not forget something.

Comment

Working...
                              X