Rear seat sound insulation part number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice-- ordering.

I wonder if the fender covers are also updated (similar rubbery stuff stock, that is also falling apart on my car).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Actually, possibly more interesting (for me, at least, with the Slonik rear plate).

Non fold through e46 sedans had one big piece accross the entire rear (# 2)
      https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...66#51488204060

I wonder if that got updated to this material...

I might order all of the above and see what comes in.

Karter: in the OP, how did you figure out the bottom piece had been updated to fabric before you ordered it?

Edit: NLA, so nevermind.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Might order Special after checking if mine are ok or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
          Karter: in the OP, how did you figure out the bottom piece had been updated to fabric before you ordered it?
          The original part in my car (that had broken up) had the part number stamped on it. I looked it up on RealOEM and noted it wasn't a listed part for the M3, I then looked up what item was listed for the M3 and found the new part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
          Build Thread:
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

lol figures I ordered the original 055 part number on Monday. I originally ordered the newer thing Karter got and wasn't sure it would contour well to the bench as it looks like it may not suck all the way down. Curious what he finds

2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
            2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

karter16 Where did you order from?

I see $129 + ~$51 USD shipping to AU for 51488252759 which isn't too bad from FCP. That's compared with 478 USD equivalent from an Australian dealer. You mention shipping was expensive but in the scheme of things that's not too bad for a largish part (althogh I guess it can squash down quite a bit).

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
                karter16 Where did you order from?

I see $129 + ~$51 USD shipping to AU for 51488252759 which isn't too bad from FCP. That's compared with 478 USD equivalent from an Australian dealer. You mention shipping was expensive but in the scheme of things that's not too bad for a largish part (althogh I guess it can squash down quite a bit).
                I got mine from EMIAuto, but I ordered a bunch of stuff at once and they worked out cheapest overall on parts + shipping for the lot, but couldn't say who would be cheapest for just this part sorry.

Build Thread:

Comment

Any updates on the install? I gotta change my order Monday on whether to cancel the 055 part number and go with this. It looks like it has the circular trace marks for the fuel pump and sender harnesses but you'll have to cut it out yourself? It looks like everything will sit flat once installed but if you're able to get this installed today that would be epic 😁

The more I look at it I think the carpet piece behind the rear seats leading to the trunk and the end of the passenger rear interior carpet will sit above this insulation and hold it in place when you take the rear seat bench out from time to time.

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post
                    Any updates on the install? I gotta change my order Monday on whether to cancel the 055 part number and go with this. It looks like it has the circular trace marks for the fuel pump and sender harnesses but you'll have to cut it out yourself? It looks like everything will sit flat once installed but if you're able to get this installed today that would be epic 😁

The more I look at it I think the carpet piece behind the rear seats leading to the trunk and the end of the passenger rear interior carpet will sit above this insulation and hold it in place when you take the rear seat bench out from time to time.

Unfortunately it rained on Sunday so I wasn't able to get to this (need more space than my garage allows for).

Yes that's right it has the circular mouldings for the fuel senders, but I don't think they need to be cut out, if you need to access them you can use the larger cutouts (unless I'm missing something?)

I agree re your assessment re the carpet behind the rear seats, I too have been thinking about it and I think what you say will prove to be the case.

Build Thread:

Comment

Originally posted by karter16 View Post

Unfortunately it rained on Sunday so I wasn't able to get to this (need more space than my garage allows for).

Yes that's right it has the circular mouldings for the fuel senders, but I don't think they need to be cut out, if you need to access them you can use the larger cutouts (unless I'm missing something?)

I agree re your assessment re the carpet behind the rear seats, I too have been thinking about it and I think what you say will prove to be the case.

I can send you a pic in a little bit you absolutely need to cut out the circles as the rest wiring harness goes through them to access the tank. Hmm… on second thought maybe you can just leave them underneath and just lift the flap to access which differs from the original design but it'll be less wear and tear in the long run.

I think I’m going to switch my order tomorrow to the new stuff and take the gamble. I did some thinking and realized if I go with the original part, in 20yrs when it disintegrates neither option will be available and I’ll have nothing, where the other option it will probably have held up lol

Comment

I can send you a pic in a little bit you absolutely need to cut out the circles as the rest wiring harness goes through them to access the tank. Hmm… on second thought maybe you can just leave them underneath and just lift the flap to access which differs from the original design but it'll be less wear and tear in the long run.

I think I'm going to switch my order tomorrow to the new stuff and take the gamble. I did some thinking and realized if I go with the original part, in 20yrs when it disintegrates neither option will be available and I'll have nothing, where the other option it will probably have held up lol

Ah right I see what you mean - yeah I was going to place the insulation over the top of the wiring.

Build Thread:

Comment

It should work fine. It'll snake under the flap. I guess that settles it. I'm going to change my order to the new part number in the morning.

Comment

It should work fine. It'll snake under the flap. I guess that settles it. I'm going to change my order to the new part number in the morning.

I'll order the new part number from the dealer too as its the same price with shipping from the States.

Comment

Do you guys really find that this stuff makes a difference? I didn’t even notice after pulling the rubber crap out for the Vincebar. Our rear seat benches are so heavy and foamy that they seem to do a fine job on their own.

Running without the rear bench in place on the other hand …

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                                Our rear seat benches are so heavy and foamy that they seem to do a fine job on their own.
                                1000x this

looks like the new part has a more thorough coverage of "jute" style insulation which works through sound absorption, something the rear seat will do exponentially better than that thin layer will. what that area needs more of is sound dampening (of the fuel pump and senders), which is what the original thick rubber like insulation attempted to do

Comment

Working...
                                X