Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are we going to source slicktop headliners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part support is the main reason I'm selling our e39 M5. It's getting sketchy out there.

I'm not really sure why they're doing it. A friend of mine that works for BMWNA told me that parts is ~25% of their revenue, and more of profit. Do they think people are going to buy new BMWs if part support dries up for the old ones? I know nothing they make today interests me in the slightest, so they'll just lose my parts money if they stop making parts.

... at least they sold a shit ton of e46 M3s, so for most things there will likely be an aftermarket solution.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I order a lot of parts directly from Europe through Schmiedmann in Denmark.

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't buy anything that company is making currently with the exception of an M2 variant.

I know some people that work with BMW directly (their company is partnering with them). Without getting into the details, from what I can gather, BMW is rather lost at the moment. It's apparently a bit toxic internally, which immediately makes me think / points to a leadership issue. The products they are putting out certainly speak to that. They are building for the masses, not for the enthusiasts. And even in the mass market, I feel like they have lost their way a bit.

The lack of parts thing mystifies me.
        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

I got one just laying around lmfao

Nice but also not nice, I have to now buy a CSL roof. Big sad.
          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 BMW ///M3
          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
            Yeah I wouldn't buy anything that company is making currently with the exception of an M2 variant.

I know some people that work with BMW directly (their company is partnering with them). Without getting into the details, from what I can gather, BMW is rather lost at the moment. It's apparently a bit toxic internally, which immediately makes me think / points to a leadership issue. The products they are putting out certainly speak to that. They are building for the masses, not for the enthusiasts. And even in the mass market, I feel like they have lost their way a bit.

Who doesn't want a 3800+ lb 2 series, with dead steering, generic power delivery, shitty manual or automatic gearbox, that looks like it has downs, really.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Who doesn't want a 3800+ lb 2 series, with dead steering, generic power delivery, shitty manual or automatic gearbox, that looks like it has downs, really.
              Ha!!

It's really depressing, really.

Comment

They’ve even ruined those. The outgoing M2 I could have been interested in if I didn’t already have an E46 but the new one is hideous.

Re: parts availability I haven’t run into any problems yet for either my E39 or E46 Ms, but they’re both still pretty low mileage and only occasional drivers. If it continues to get worse I could probably convince myself to unload both while they’re worth good money and grab an air cooled 911. Porsche seems committed to letting their customers trade lots of money to keep their old cars on the road.

Makes no sense why BMW wouldn’t do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

They’ve even ruined those. The outgoing M2 I could have been interested in if I didn’t already have an E46 but the new one is hideous.

Re: parts availability I haven’t run into any problems yet for either my E39 or E46 Ms, but they’re both still pretty low mileage and only occasional drivers. If it continues to get worse I could probably convince myself to unload both while they’re worth good money and grab an air cooled 911. Porsche seems committed to letting their customers trade lots of money to keep their old cars on the road.

Makes no sense why BMW wouldn’t do the same.
                  Couldn't agree more. It's why I bought a Cayman 😁

I should be clear. The most current M2 is an abomination. I was talking about the prior gen M2 Comp or CS.

So technically I guess... I wouldn't buy anything BMW is producing right now.

Comment

I just work at a dealer and I can see this.
                    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

This is exactly why I bought a manual Supra instead.

Last not horrid looking BMW with a stick that actually doesn't suck.

And it's 3300 lbs.
                      2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

This is exactly why I bought a manual Supra instead.

Last not horrid looking BMW with a stick that actually doesn't suck.

And it's 3300 lbs.
                        How do you like the new Supra and don't be biased! I too built an A91 on the website because they're finally MT. My coworker has an MK5 and I sat inside of it, for being 6'2, 200lbs, it's pretty tight I'm not going to lie.

I really like the car and I think it's super underrated when it comes to track use, with a few modifications it's pretty gritty from what I've seen. Only problem are all the vents, ducts that are essentially worthless. I mean I understand they had to break up the huge body panels, but why not just make them functional for goodness sakes?

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post

How do you like the new Supra and don't be biased! I too built an A91 on the website because they're finally MT. My coworker has an MK5 and I sat inside of it, for being 6'2, 200lbs, it's pretty tight I'm not going to lie.

I really like the car and I think it's super underrated when it comes to track use, with a few modifications it's pretty gritty from what I've seen. Only problem are all the vents, ducts that are essentially worthless. I mean I understand they had to break up the huge body panels, but why not just make them functional for goodness sakes?
                          I'll be making a post about it in more detail whenever I get around to updating my "build thread" but here are some cliff notes.

1. If you're over 5'8" you will notice how tight it is on the inside. I'm 5'10" and it gives me claustrophobia lol
                          2. I spent some time with PHD Racing last year and I grew to appreciate the Zupra hence why I snagged one.
                          3. It's a much more focused car than a stock M car, it's noisy, has NVH, has compromises that you wouldn't expect etc.
                          4. Manual is fantastic and pretty much the best stock BMW I've ever felt but I'm working on an SSK for it anyways lol
                          5. The vents can be addressed for under $400 bucks lol
                          2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

And this is the road I find myself going down, becoming a parts hoarder. My wife works with a guy that has a few older Porsches, and he touts the availability of parts, so he keeps them on the road. Too bad BMW is going down this road--I thought they were relatively committed to keeping "classics" going.

Comment

I think early 325 coupes did not have a standard moonroof. I forget if the moonroof became standard on the LCI models, might have been only the 330ci’s.

so if I’m kinda right, should be able to find a used one on a non-M.

Oh boy…is the new M2 ugly. It’s so ugly it’s a non-starter.

The S58 is an amazing engine but it’s totally pointless on the street as a DD. There’s no way you can really explore anywhere close to its limits on the street. It’s like paying for a boob job for your sister. Nice boobs…really can’t touch them.

Comment

I just picked up a euro slicktop headliner today! I ordered all of the other bmw components required to install the roof too just to play it safe for in the future when i do convert to a slicktop.

Comment

Working...
                                X