Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Are We Buying CSL Bumpers These Days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simonnim View Post
    I respect the fact that there are some real ballers here. But, why put so much money into an aging platform? To me a really expensive carbon fiber CSL style bumper is going to get ravaged unless it's some concourse show car. And if you're a low mile example awaiting for the huge classic classification wave to hit, wouldn't keeping it OEM or at least real bmw products the best way?

But, I track and beat the crap outta the car.
    ​​​
    The Genuine BMW CSL front bumper is currently north of 6,000$ USD.

Comment

Just sold tonight the Vorsteiner CSL bumper I had on my Silver M3, took this picture since people here were talking about different build quality/process.
      2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
      2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
      2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
      2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

You need to pm me I am helping JC to sell his bumper cause he has no time to deal with customer. He has a composite business and has other customer other than E46 M3 guys!

Right now, he will only produce Carbon Fiber front bumper, it can be for aluminum or kevlar rebar. Price is 3000$ CAD. Shipping is extra. Ideally we prefer to avoid shipping cause it’s crazy expensive these days (since Covid) in Canada vs in USA or Europe. Depending where in USA JC had to ship, it was around 600$CAD…
        Copy that! Thanks for confirming. I'll PM you
        '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

I respect the fact that there are some real ballers here. But, why put so much money into an aging platform? To me a really expensive carbon fiber CSL style bumper is going to get ravaged unless it's some concourse show car. And if you're a low mile example awaiting for the huge classic classification wave to hit, wouldn't keeping it OEM or at least real bmw products the best way?

​​​
          car enthusiasts like different things. there are some guys that like/enjoy a certain platform so much they dont mind or think too much about pouring cars worth of additional money into it even for marginal gains

i never thought twice about dd'ing and autocrossing with my OE CSL bumper, it had a ppf that didn't prevent all the damage that came its way over time but nothing a light refresh couldnt solve

it's good to see (potentially) different brands getting back into the market, although the ones discussed in this thread are all still all maybes/not available to purchase yet

Comment

Just sold tonight the Vorsteiner CSL bumper I had on my Silver M3, took this picture since people here were talking about different build quality/process.
            I dont see the issue there as long as it fits close to 100%. Main thing also is the finishing from the outside so when painted it looks perfect.

FYI My VCSL bumper has been on my car in this hot region for more than 10 years and looks the same as day one.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

I dont see the issue there as long as it fits close to 100%. Main thing also is the finishing from the outside so when painted it looks perfect.

FYI My VCSL bumper has been on my car in this hot region for more than 10 years and looks the same as day one.
              No major issue and not the same price as other option.

It’s all the small details that matter to me. On my Vorsteiner, I wasn’t able to install the OEM duct grill, hole is too small and not mold to accept one.The wiring harness is also supposed to attach/clip inside the bumper on driver side but tolerance aren’t precise on the small bracket so would not work.

Also thing like windshield washer reservoir. Since they copied an OEM CSL and use the shock absorbers type mounting, I think with Vorsteiner you need to replace the reservoir for an OEM CSL reservoir?? I modified mine and made a bracket (nothing pretty) riveted inside the bumper so I can mount regular M3 reservoir to it. Wouldn’t been too hard to make their mold just a bit differently so people can reuse their reservoir.

But in the end, once painted and installed, it looks good like most CSL bumpers

Comment

It’s all the small details that matter to me. On my Vorsteiner, I wasn’t able to install the OEM duct grill, hole is too small and not mold to accept one.The wiring harness is also supposed to attach/clip inside the bumper on driver side but tolerance aren’t precise on the small bracket so would not work.

Also thing like windshield washer reservoir. Since they copied an OEM CSL and use the shock absorbers type mounting, I think with Vorsteiner you need to replace the reservoir for an OEM CSL reservoir?? I modified mine and made a bracket (nothing pretty) riveted inside the bumper so I can mount regular M3 reservoir to it. Wouldn’t been too hard to make their mold just a bit differently so people can reuse their reservoir.

Yes i did all the things i needed to do install everything OE CSL like getting the OE washer bottle etc. and My smaller grill for the intake hole and front bigger grill fit like factory. In the end as you say it looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Different standards for different owners, and different budgets. I do have to point out this is a bit of a backtrack versus your previous posts.

When you add auxiliary accessories, paint and fitment to these CSL bumpers, looking at price differences on the parts alone is missing perspective on what is a very expensive conversion.

Beyond fitment, the fiberglass backed carbon this appeared to have been would have been much more fragile than pre-preg carbon from my various personal experiences on such parts and, well, material science!

You don't want to have to do it twice.

You're being kind. It's no longer a CSL replica if it can't accept CSL genuine parts.

The CSL reservoir prices have gone absurd. You can use the E36 reservoir relocated to the SMG bin for the 1:1 reps. BreyKrause sells the bracket kit for it.
                  Last edited by Epoustouflant; 09-06-2023, 06:57 AM.

Comment

​​​
                    For me, it's about building the car the way I wanted it back in highschool when NFS Most Wanted came out. I'm easily going to be spending 2-3x what I paid for the car over time with the parts I want to get for it, not even including the repaint. The CSL bits I get for it will get ppf to mitigate the damage the parts will eventually encounter, as the car sees everything from trackdays to dog slobber in the interior. What I'm doing makes little logical sense, but 15 year old me would be drooling, and isn't that emotional reaction what these types of cars are about?

Comment

The reason most of us bought these cars is exactly because of the "aging platform"... these cars are back when BMW did it right.

I definitely could have gotten into a newer M3 for what I spent on my E46, but I love the analog feeling this car gives me... the newer BMWs are just too computer controlled and nanny assisted, and I personally am not a fan of turbo.

Coming from the Honda world it's not uncommon to see $70,000 worth of parts on a 95 civic hatch worth 5 grand on a good day... so to me restoring a legendary car like the E46 that was actually a great platform to begin with, doesn't seem that crazy.
                      2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                      2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                        a 95 civic hatch worth 5 grand on a good day... .
                        if only . . . .

Comment

The depreciation on a new M3 as soon as it drives off the lot could buy an average E46 M3. Simple man maths

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                            The reason most of us bought these cars is exactly because of the "aging platform"... these cars are back when BMW did it right.

I definitely could have gotten into a newer M3 for what I spent on my E46, but I love the analog feeling this car gives me... the newer BMWs are just too computer controlled and nanny assisted, and I personally am not a fan of turbo.

Coming from the Honda world it's not uncommon to see $70,000 worth of parts on a 95 civic hatch worth 5 grand on a good day... so to me restoring a legendary car like the E46 that was actually a great platform to begin with, doesn't seem that crazy.
                            The E46 M3 is, from my experience, the most expensive of any M3s to dial in. Part of it is due to relatively poor build quality of the era and the impressive step up with the CSL upgrades and those coming from modern technology.

No matter the black hole it has created in my pockets, it's been a great leaning and rewarding process. I can't wait to drive it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

The E46 M3 is, from my experience, the most expensive of any M3s to dial in. Part of it is due to relatively poor build quality of the era and the impressive step up with the CSL upgrades and those coming from modern technology.

No matter the black hole it has created in my pockets, it's been a great leaning and rewarding process. I can't wait to drive it soon.
                              E46 M3 poor quality build??? You must never had touch to an E36 or E30…

Comment

E46 M3 poor quality build??? You must never had touch to an E36 or E30…
                                It isn't saying much to be fair - but I did drive this restored E36 M3 for 2 weeks planning to purchase it last Summer. The headliner started to sag, the A pillar trims unclipped and the tumbler started spinning to eternity.

Still, it's probably more reliable and doesn't fall apart as much as an E46 - and it's much cheaper to own / rebuild.

The E46's A & C pillars will sag, armrests & center consoles creak, the ashtray and covers' rubber coating scratch with any meaningful interaction and the rear view mirrors leak amongst options specific issues: like the M-Texture being a fragile, expensive fabric.

It doesn't take away from my enjoyment of my build - they're just E46 things you have to deal with to get to enjoy the S54, 420G, chassis and its much more pleasing aesthetics.​

Click image for larger version  Name:	REC00008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.2 KB ID:	232637

Comment

Working...
                                X