THE M3 IS GETTING THE ANRI BUILD TREATMENT - Blown headgasket to build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

A very simple mantra to follow is "if it ain't broke don't fix it". With time all those bullshit ass "upgrades" come to light as being shit ass upgrades. Take the radiator for example, with people wasting their money on csf garbage only to discover their car overheats and paying for the privilege of it doing so. No wrong has ever been done by sticking with oe parts. Conversely look how much it costs people who cheap out on parts to save a buck and it causes long term damage to their engines unknowingly, or, eventually knowingly after the fact the damage has been discovered. Even cubieman had an issue with a beisan oil pimp disc which was a 30+ page thread in and of itself.
    Yeah and the stupid CSF radiator adds 5 lbs of front weight on a car where you want every lb of weight off the front.
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

I don't disagree with the above, my point was that the issues of the plastic impellers, that was resolved 20yrs ago, still pushes people to be scared of plastic impellers to this day.
      And a BMW pump has a limited lifetime warranty through BMW. Covers the cost of the part for the life it it fails.

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

A very simple mantra to follow is "if it ain't broke don't fix it". With time all those bullshit ass "upgrades" come to light as being shit ass upgrades. Take the radiator for example, with people wasting their money on csf garbage only to discover their car overheats and paying for the privilege of it doing so. No wrong has ever been done by sticking with oe parts. Conversely look how much it costs people who cheap out on parts to save a buck and it causes long term damage to their engines unknowingly, or, eventually knowingly after the fact the damage has been discovered. Even cubieman had an issue with a beisan oil pimp disc which was a 30+ page thread in and of itself.
        I’ve had to learn this lesson a couple of times…🤣

And it’s possible the radiator was one of those lessons. And the worst part is it even costs more than the OE part.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Only the person that had removed the rocker rods (to replace the rockers)
          That's the thing - in my ownership I've never had anyone touch the rockers - so what's worse, a shop forgetting to replace them? or shops not catching they were missing in the past 5 years of my ownership? 🤦‍♂️
          - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

One of the rocker arm has odd damage and was replaced with
            a good one I have in stock.

Moving forward

https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

The chain cover was cleaned to like new
              condition.

The crank snout was cleaned as well from the old
              grove.

New seal was installed and pushed in deeper so that
              on the next crankshaft seal replacement the seal can
              will be installed 1.5mm less that means the grove will
              remain after the seal not before the lip of the seal!

New Chain, all new guides are already in.

Head is ready to be installed.

Regards
              Anri

Comment

Originally posted by ChapterM3 View Post
                That's the thing - in my ownership I've never had anyone touch the rockers - so what's worse, a shop forgetting to replace them? or shops not catching they were missing in the past 5 years of my ownership? 🤦‍♂️
                They are in the very back of the head, while I agree it SEEMS like this should have been caught I think its unreasonable to expect a shop to do so without being in the affected area and a valve adjustment isn't "being in the area" IMO.​

Originally posted by Anri View Post
                One of the rocker arm has odd damage and was replaced with a good one I have in stock.
                What do you do to counteract the potential failure from mixing and matching follower on cam lobes?

'00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

What do you do to counteract the potential failure from mixing and matching follower on cam lobes?
                  Hill,

With a risk of having people jump into an argument
                  I must say that it's not a problem at all as long as the
                  rocker arm is in a good condition. I have done it many
                  times. On every S54 I rebuild I do polish the rocker arms
                  before I install them back.

Regards
                  Anri

Comment

I'm learning here.
                    But I think if the cam lobe and the new used follower are polished then they should be paired safely.

Comment

The crank snout was cleaned as well from the old
                      grove.

I can't see the old groove mark by the oil seal on this pic; did you do any polishing or only cleaning? I'm surprised that the oil Teflon seal didn't cause any wear on the meatal sealing surface.

Comment

With a risk of having people jump into an argument I must say that it's not a problem at all as long as the rocker arm is in a good condition.
                        I've done it before too, I laid out all my concerns and the customer wanted to roll with it... It is still running but certainly made me nervous.
                        '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                        Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                        Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

I can't see the old groove mark by the oil seal on this pic; did you do any polishing or only cleaning? I'm surprised that the oil Teflon seal didn't cause any wear on the meatal sealing surface.

Sapote,

Thanks for your replies.

This is cleaned surface already.

Bellow is how they look like before I clean them up

Comment

Gents,

I am wandering why people still use silicone
                            around the engine ?

I have seen silicone on water pumps, cams
                            sensors, water pump tube etc..

In my shop I don't have silicone. I use only
                            compounds and guarantee no leaks!

Head is on, moving forward.

Regards,
                            Anri

Comment

Because it is in the TIS instructions to use Drei Bond 1209 silicone sealant in those areas you have pictured.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                                Because it is in the TIS instructions to use Drei Bond 1209 silicone sealant in those areas you have pictured.
                                Slideways,

Do you make a difference between the Drei Bond and RTV silicone
                                used in the pic as everybody using ?

Comment

Working...
                                X