THE M3 IS GETTING THE ANRI BUILD TREATMENT - Blown headgasket to build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChapterM3 View Post
    [B]They're going to check to make sure that the plugs did the trick and the cylinder misfires are gone - and I think if that comes back then I would not perform the leak-down test now. I would however learn more about doing said test myself, so that I can do it at my own leisure and not have to worry if I'm damaging the motor.
    Sorry but I don't think new plugs will fix the problem. Should have the leak down test done instead.

I just don't see the point of having the shop just change the plugs.

Comment

The shop was spot on for recommending a leakdown. If your skills aren't there to do it, don't put off the problem thinking you're going to DIY this. It's a gamble that could cost you a $5000 engine.
      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I hear you guys, let me lay this out clearly so we're all on the same page, here's what happened today -
        - The shop did NOT recommend doing a leak-down test right away, they recommended checking the plugs first, and then seeing if the codes clear for the misfire. If the car kept misfiring, they then said to move on to do a leak down.
        - When they pulled the plugs, they reported them as all 6 being fouled and recommended changing them to see if that clears the problem
        - They installed 6 new OEM plugs and reported that the cylinder misfires were clear, and the car was performing as normal, with no codes coming back
        - Shop did not recommend moving forward with leak down at this time unless I absolutely wanted to

With that said I felt comfortable to say that it was in fact the fouled plugs, considering when they replaced them, the codes did not come back.

Am I missing anything further? If you all highly recommend I really have this leak down done I'm open to hearing your thoughts - from my end right now after going through this diagnosis with them, I don't see how else it could only be the plugs given the scenario I just laid out above - but again, I'm open to hear your thoughts!

Thank you!
        - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

I think the problem will be back after the plugs fouled again. Modern engines don’t foul plugs for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
            I think the problem will be back after the plugs fouled again. Modern engines don’t foul plugs for no reason.
            Got it - So essentially you're saying that you think the HG could be bad, fouled the plugs prematurely, and could then foul these new plugs? And again, thank you for your responses - I appreciate the opinion!

EDIT: I'm having the leak down done - Thank you guys for being so vocal about it!
            Last edited by ChapterM3; 08-25-2023, 08:24 AM.
            - Jonathan

Comment

Got it - So essentially you're saying that you think the HG could be bad, fouled the plugs prematurely, and could then foul these new plugs? And again, thank you for your responses - I appreciate the opinion!

EDIT: I'm having the leak down done - Thank you guys for being so vocal about it!
              I don't think bad HG will cause fouled plugs unless you see a cloud of blue smoke at the tail pipes. I think the low compression or bad timing can cause misfire which then causes fouled plugs.

Comment

Thank you all for pushing me to get the leak-down test, I sincerely appreciate the pushback. I was completely wrong to think this ended with new plugs – The results are back, and they're not good. I'm back looking for guidance on this, as my head is spinning still and I'm trying to process what is going on.

Short summary: The head gasket is suspected of failure between cylinders 5 and 6.
                Wait, Jonathan, didn't you originally post sayingthat there were misfires in 3, 4 and 5? Yes, exactly.

Here's the detailed summary I got on the phone from the shop today –
                • Two compression tests were run, and both yielded the same results
                  • Cyl 1-4 - 170 PSI
                  • Cyl 5-6 - 120 PSI
                • Two leak-down tests were run, and both yielded the same results
                  • Cyl 1-4 - 30%
                  • Cyl 5-6 - 70% (and air could be audibly heard passing from one cylinder to another)
                They're quoting me around $6k to get the head gasket, clean the head at a machine shop, etc.

Here's my debate about doing this without pulling the engine –
                • It's not in the cards to throw this kind of money at the car right now. It will sit in my garage until I can do this right.
                • There's no chance for me to do this on my own as I don't have the space, tools, or knowledge/experience to do this level of work. I could assist with someone else but beyond doing other regular maintenance things like VCG, oil changes, etc. And unfortunately, this isn't VWVortex from 2009 where my friends and I were all sitting around waiting for someone to buy parts to then experiment on their 1.8t - this DIY is not gonna happen without a miracle
                • $6k to do the head gasket, clean the head, etc. but still reinstalling 155k parts doesn't make sense to me. I would think to do it right and refresh everything. Of course, this is a question of cost
                • If the top half of the motor is brand new, but the cylinders and bottom half have 155k on them, that makes no sense, wouldn't it make sense to pull the motor and just go over the whole thing? I know it's most likely twice as much money but I can't imagine doing just the top half and feeling good about that.
                Questions to you all reading this –
                • Does it make sense to only do the HG and leave the bottom half alone with 155k and 170psi in cylinders 1-4?
                • Where would you bring the car in the Los Angeles area (or in the surrounding states) to get this work done?
                • What other options do I have that I might have listed here or am not seeing?
                • What kind of $$ are we talking for a total OEM rebuild of the S54? I just want to drive this thing again and enjoy it in the canyons, no track time, etc.
                • I would love to keep this car forever, I absolutely love it, and have put a lot of work into it. The big 3 are done, as well as a long list of other items. But everything has its limits, do I dare consider selling it?
                • I can't make sense of why the car would report 3,4 and 5 misfires, but 5 and 6 have the main issue. If someone knows the logic behind this I would appreciate the insight​ as I just can't understand this

Thank you all so much in advance for you support - seriously, this absolutely sucks and I'm devastated, but I'm glad I know and the motor isn't totally fried on me.

Also attached, which again, I find so bizarre with this information now - is the Blackstone lab report from the last 10k. I called them when they sent it and spoke with the guy who analyzed the oil. He said there were zero indications of a head gasket failure or premature wear in the oil in the last 10k. Maybe I caught it that quickly? I would think that the oil report would have shown it way sooner than audibly hearing a faint misfire, but I'm clearly wrong. Just thought to mention.

For future reference –

Specs on car –
                • e85 was run in the car for about 15k under previous ownership
                • Plugs and coils were done 20k ago
                • Injectors done 10k ago
                How we got here –
                • Audible misfires at startup, intermittently would come and go, about 100 miles ago, but no codes or CEL. Happened at cold OR hot, but unique misfire sounds. Almost like a rally car staging, if you've ever heard what that sounds like, sometimes sputtering but not in the typical misfire tone
                • Cylinders 4 and 5 threw a CEL on me, which prompted me to bring it in to a shop immediately
                • At the shop cylinders 3,4, and 5 threw codes
                • Shop test drove it and told me the car felt solid, and recommended checking the plugs
                • Shop said plugs were fouled, replaced with OEM ones I had, drove again, said it was solid
                • Next morning cold start threw the same 3,4, and 5 cylinder codes
                • Compression test and leak down performed twice (as the shop couldn't believe the numbers coming back considering how the car drove)
                • Called me with the results

Beyond this diagnosis, the has and is performing as the following -
                • Little misfires at startup
                • No indication from Blackstone Labs reports in the last 10k of HG failure (as they would have detected metals, coolant, remnants of coolant, in the oil)
                • No loss of coolant
                • No loss of oil AT ALL between oil changes
                • No loss in power or significant drop in power
                • No marbles in a can sound, or anything close to the typical understanding of a bad HG
                • 0 performance change - Pulls strong as usual, no hesitation, solid performing car
                • To my knowledge the car has never been tracked or overheated
                Attached Files
                - Jonathan

Comment

Replacing head gaskets in the UK is a normal thing. The Elring full gasket kit is 250, so if you have a friend who has successfully done a VANOS rebuild, doing the headgasket is not that much harder. The only wear items to replace are the valve stem seals (stick with OE BMW here) and to check the followers for flat spots. A machine shop can easily install a new set of seals and skim the head. No need to go crazy full rebuild.

If you want to take it somewhere and have it done professionally, check with Kaiv in SD or Anri in LA.

Comment

Wow $6k sounds crazy

The S54 blocks are tanks. Unless the head gasket has been blown for a long time, the block is likely fine. Head might be a pitted, but a skim should take care of it. Agreed that you should be able to get away with just doing the head gasket.

Just drive up to norcal and we'll have it swapped out in a weekend
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Johnathan,

If may I suggest few points you should consider.

- E85 is knife with 2 blades....way to long to explain why..
                      don't use that for your intended purpose. For Race engine
                      is fine..but not in your case were Saturday at 7am morning
                      we go to Angelest-Crest to have fun.

- In cases like yours were the engine ran say 60k or 100k+
                      and the gasket fails just like yours, common practice
                      is take the head off, perform head work put it back together but
                      there is very big risk...! Why ? The piston rings already
                      have enough carbon build around the ring land and
                      every mile it goes by the rings are getting harder and
                      harder to rotate..

When one takes the head off and then instal it back on
                      the top of bore is never ever in the same shape as it
                      was from before. Even following the same factory torque sequence.
                      That said you are risking the rings not taking the new bore shape and
                      resulting oil consumption.

New or the existing piston rings must have fresh/hone in order
                      the rings to sit and seal. Also your piston/s ring land must be
                      clean so that it will rotate easier. Take a look my post and you
                      will see some areas you might be interest.

If this is E36 325i none vanos with 400k miles and the task is just to
                      put the car back on the road and the head work cost more
                      money than the entire car sure..who cares....

E46M3/S54 is special engine/car and everything should be done properly..
                      thus the reason why you see E46M3s in absolute beat up condition
                      trashed cars with very poor maintenance ended being parted
                      out. I have 2 customers with E46M3 one is Laguna Seca with 220k
                      and the car is like New, the other is 170k and in the same mint
                      condition.

Do you have the same scenario as this one ?
                      https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqws_XPgrp7/
                      https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr3sL6SpXQd/?img_index=1

Regards,
                      Anri
                      Last edited by Anri; 08-27-2023, 06:06 AM.
                      https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                        Replacing head gaskets in the UK is a normal thing. The Elring full gasket kit is 250, so if you have a friend who has successfully done a VANOS rebuild, doing the headgasket is not that much harder. The only wear items to replace are the valve stem seals (stick with OE BMW here) and to check the followers for flat spots. A machine shop can easily install a new set of seals and skim the head. No need to go crazy full rebuild.

If you want to take it somewhere and have it done professionally, check with Kaiv in SD or Anri in LA.
                        Thank you for your reply and input - certainly brought me back down to earth a bit. If I could do this on my own as you mentioned with such parts, and with someone who knows what they're doing and has done it before I'd certainly entertain that route. What makes me nervous is taking off the cams, etc. as that's something I've not done before and don't have the space to do it and leave it for extended periods of time. Let's see what happens - I wonder how much parts in total would cost for this - my search for shops and parts has begun and will continue for a little while for sure​

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                        Wow $6k sounds crazy

The S54 blocks are tanks. Unless the head gasket has been blown for a long time, the block is likely fine. Head might be a pitted, but a skim should take care of it. Agreed that you should be able to get away with just doing the head gasket.

Just drive up to norcal and we'll have it swapped out in a weekend
                        Thank you for the comment which also brought me back down to earth a bit - Do you have a shop up in Norcal? And do you think the car would even make it in this condition? Last thing I'd want to do is blow something up further!

Originally posted by Anri View Post
                        Johnathan,

If may I suggest few points you should consider.

- E85 is knife with 2 blades....way to long to explain why..
                        don't use that for your intended purpose. For Race engine
                        is fine..but not in your case were Saturday at 7am morning
                        we go to Angelest-Crest to have fun.

- In cases like yours were the engine ran say 60k or 100k+
                        and the gasket fails just like yours, coming practice
                        is take the head off, perform head work put it back together but
                        there is very big risk...! Why ? The piston rings already
                        have enough carbon build around the ring land and
                        every mile it goes by the rings are getting harder and
                        harder to rotate..

When one takes the head off and then instal it back on
                        the top of bore is never ever in the same shape as it
                        was from before. Even following the same factory torque sequence.
                        That said you are risking the rings not taking the new bore shape and
                        resulting oil consumption.

New or the existing pistons must have fresh/hone in order
                        the rings to sit and seal. Also your pistons ring land must be
                        clean so that it will rotate easier. Take a look my post and you
                        will see some areas you might be interest.

If this is E36 325i none vanos with 400k miles and the task is just to
                        put the car back on the road and the head work cost more
                        money than the entire car sure..who cares....

E46M3/S54 is special engine/car and everything should be done properly..
                        thus the reason why you see E46M3s in absolute beat up condition
                        trashed cars with very poor maintenance ended being parted
                        out. I have 2 customers with E46M3 one is Laguna Seca with 220k
                        and the car is like New, the other is 170k and in the same mint
                        condition.

Do you have the same scenario as this one ?
                        https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqws_XPgrp7/
                        https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr3sL6SpXQd/?img_index=1

Regards,
                        Anri
                        Thank you for this detailed reply Anri, I really appreciate it - I don't know if mine is as audible as the one that you posted about, but the shop did tell me it was audible to hear air going between 5 and 6. I agree with you on both of your points - the S54 is a special motor and I definitely want to make sure this gets done right and running back 100%
                        - Jonathan

Comment

Thank you for the comment which also brought me back down to earth a bit - Do you have a shop up in Norcal? And do you think the car would even make it in this condition? Last thing I'd want to do is blow something up further!
                          Nah no shop up here. Just a good chunk of people who might spend a weekend helping someone swap a head gasket. Agreed with anri that it won't be as good as a factory engine if you just swap the head gasket, but also how much do you want to get out of it?

Are a couple head gasket swaps worth less than a full engine rebuild? Just food for thought.
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Jonathan,
                            ​​​
                            Hopefully the bore spacing is not torched down..Say it is
                            then engine must come out scenario...

Regards,
                            Anri
                            https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Nah no shop up here. Just a good chunk of people who might spend a weekend helping someone swap a head gasket. Agreed with anri that it won't be as good as a factory engine if you just swap the head gasket, but also how much do you want to get out of it?

Are a couple head gasket swaps worth less than a full engine rebuild? Just food for thought.
                              Oh got it! That sounds like it could be fun as I would love to somehow be a part of the process. So I'm guessing you guys have done a few up there and have the space for it as well? And what are we talking for a few gaskets over what amount of time? Over years? And what kind of oil consumption would you say as well? The reason I ask is that this motor as is has never lost oil between oil changes for as long as I've had it, and I love that about the car. If that changes a bit, I can understand, but also if the car is going to start blowing gaskets every season I'd start to get concerned. Side note - I drive the car about 5k a year​

Originally posted by Anri View Post
                              Jonathan,
                              ​​​
                              Hopefully the bore spacing is not torched down..Say it is
                              then engine must come out scenario...

Regards,
                              Anri
                              It's a good point you raise Anri for sure. I'll DM you about quotes on this work for the car. Thank you for your replies!
                              - Jonathan

Comment

All S54s need the head gasket done eventually... mine went out at about 227k. Replaced it and sent it with no issues.
                                Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Working...
                                X