2023 Installation Supplement: Cobra Nogaro Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2023 Installation Supplement: Cobra Nogaro Seats

My goal with this post is to focus in on information and special considerations for installing the Cobra Nogaro seats using the Brey Krause side mounts (R9224), sub strap mounts (PN R-9228 and R-9229), and clip in mount for lap belts (BR9225). Overall I’m stoked to have the seats in, and appreciate all of the knowledge captured and shared via this board over the past few years.

This should supplement the vast amount of information that available on this post started by Obioban: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...-seat?q=switch. At the time of this writing, that post spans 3+ years, 28 pages, and countless tidbits of information. I probably read it twice, and did my best to absorb all the golden nuggets. But I did learn some things during my install, here they are:
    • Head’s up: this seat is not centered on the steering column. I get it…there are compromises. I’m happy with my choice and don’t know any better or worse.
    • Tools you should have on hand:
    1. A ¼” drive 13mm socket with a small ratchet. There is very limited space to secure the side mounts to the OEM slider. You will also likely need to leave these loose during installation so you can get the factory floor mounting points set, then tighten up the seat.
    2. An angle grinder or equivalent tool. You will need to use it to remove metal and ensure proper fitment of the side mounts on the OEM slider and the BR9225 (if you are using those as well)
    3. Access to PA Soft or similar coding tool to ‘code out’ the passenger occupancy detector. Otherwise you will get an airbag light.
    4. A thread tap for the seat anchors (10mm – 1.5). It’s possible that someone else has stripped the threads a bit, or you will cross thread the bolts when installing the seat with BK side mounts. It’s a challenge because the dimensions are off a bit. It’s just a worthwhile insurance policy to have it on hand and stop to fix any problems that result from your install work. I found one at Lowes. Don’t force a bolt into a FUBAR’d anchor.
    • Parts:
    1. If you’re going to use power sliders and a switch like BMW PN 61311377905 (e30 window switch) – get a used wiring harness with pigtail. Don’t bother with the approach of crimping a female connector on each of the wires it’s not a long-term solution. Fore-and-aft seat movements will slowly tug on those connections, especially if you still have the front section of floor carpet. There’s just not enough clearance. Also, the female spade wire connectors they provide with the side mount kit do not fit the OEM switch they recommend (as of July 2023). These can be found on Ebay at the time of this writing for $14 - $18 dollars...some include the switch as well. That will save money, as well.
    2. Wiring connectors that are suitable for the gauge of wires you are using. I chose insulated connectors even though they are more difficult to crimp.
    ​Enjoy the project - and predict challenges.
    Last edited by OldRanger; 08-15-2023, 06:04 PM. Reason: Minor edits for readability

Do you ever track the car in the NoVA area? I'm seriously considering these and would love to see them in your car in person if you're at an event I'm at or something!

Comment

Yes - just started going to track events this year. Will be at the Summit Point event end of Sep.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRanger View Post
        Yes - just started going to track events this year. Will be at the Summit Point event end of Sep.
        TrackDaze on Main 9/23?

Comment

Working...
        X